“nothing else quite like it”

Burj Al Arab Jumeirah
Ranked #29 of 563 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed May 21, 2011

my husband took me to the Burj to propose. We stayed for one night and were upgraded to a Panoramic suite, which is by far the biggest room I have ever stayed in and I think is larger than our large four bedroom flat! But at nearly £1k per night, it should be!!

The place is very over the top in decor and in service, but that is what is great about it. You don't check in, you have a seat and they bring everything to you, then you are escorted upstairs, your luggage is delivered and your butler shows you round your room. The Hermes products in the room alone cost well over £100 and they leave a Steiff teddy on your bed at night!

The pool was cold when we were there, which was very surprising as the sea was like a warm bath! Again, you don't lift a finger at the pool. I went to turn out a towel on a lounger and a pool attendant raced over at warp speed to stop me and then brought over bottles of water, misters and ice.

You also get free access to the waterpark at the Jumeira Beach resort and can use the beach there too. Waterpark was ok, but glad I didn't have to pay for access.

We did the Culinary flight meal with wine at c AED1500 p/p. Very expensive, but lovely. At each restaurant the restaurant manager took us to the next restaurant and the food was fabulous, but there was far too much food. At the end you are given a goodie bag with a book about the hotel, sweets etc.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LAMitchell
Write a ReviewReviews (4,599)

Reviewed May 14, 2011

stunning hotel
stunning views i took the tour of interesting spots including the police station which really knocked me out,
its a hotel stay to die for

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank bluemoon47
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I'm writing this review from my "single" (as they call it) suite at the Burj Al Arab.
Yes it is true it is huge, 170 sq meters, bigger than my own home! Yes it is impressive but no no no and no, it is NOT tastefully decorated. Have you ever seen the furniture sold on the 3rd floor at Harrods? That's it - gold gold gold mixed with a number of colours. Well, not minimalist, not "design" and not something I would imagine in anyone's (not to mention mine!) home.
Anyway it is impressive and the view is absolutely fantastic.
Good in room entertainment system although it did freeze a few times.

Yesterday evening we went to the Al Muntaha (restaurant with the aquarium). Our butler informed us that the restaurant would give a jacket to my husband (because no, he didn't take his business suit on holiday!). Ridiculous. In the end they didn't because they realised that we were quite annoyed.
The prices at the restaurant..............we go to a lot of very good restaurants, and there is no problem with paying a lot for a very good (michelin starred) meal. But........there, it is just too much again. 90 pounds a main course! For an average quality. 75 pounds a bottle of italian rose! The desert (mago brulee) was way below average.
Of course the whole menu is in English and..........................Russian. As if they could not read English (I'm French by the way and I don't request that the menu be in French). So you see where the guest are from).

As for the service generally, too much (they insist on opening your door for you - that's find, I can hold a card for 2 seconds, I won't get tired) but not enough (we waited for 2 hours for a list of DVDs, we asked for a late check out yesterday and had to chase this morning to know).
I think (but this is to be verified) that they don't really care about the "poors" who can only afford (shame on me!) a "single" suite.

Good breakfast although nothing exceptional. After 4 nights at the Shangri La al Bandar in Oman, which was just amazing (flawless) for 1/4 of the price of the Burj al Arab, I kind of think that I should have done something else with my money!
But hey, at least we've ticked the box.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank claire-w8
Reviewed May 5, 2011

One of the most opulent, stunning, comfortable and well appointed hotels in the world. The rooms are beyond spacious, the staff incredibly well trained and friendly and the hotel food (while expensive) is amazing (try the Wagyu beef burger).

Its impossible to describe the scale of grandeur that this hotel achieves. It truly needs to be experienced. While by no means inexpensive, for a few nights splurge it is well worth the experience.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank liaobuqi
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Please go and even stay one night in this hotel as you will never ever regret the special experience. From the minute you enter this fantastic building you will never want to leave as you are treated like royalty. We have stayed on a number of occasions and simply cannot find another hotel to match this one. The suites are stunning and you won't want to leave but there is so much to discover within the hotel itself like a library which we used on one night before we headed home on a late flight and was so relaxing. The spa is out of this world and the view to die for as you have your massage but worth every penny.
My own personal part of the hotel is the pool area and the restaurant Bab al Yam where you can enjoy a breakfast fit for a king and the choice is amazing. Tag and his staff are so kind and always remember us by name and always make us feel special. Thank you to all who make this such an experience and we will be back very soon.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dennisrobertson
Reviewed May 1, 2011

My family and I are staying at the Burj al Arab right now and I am posting this review from the hotel room! We arrived last Friday morning, 9am, so I emailed ahead to request an early check in. Nothing seems to be too much trouble.....Rolls Royce met us at the airport, a very warm welcome as we entered the hotel lobby, and the room was ready and waiting!
Our room, 1212, is a panoramic suite on the 12th floor. This room is superb, fantastic views, and the service from our butler Victor is second to none!
I will post a full review when home, but just had to praise where praise is due....this hotel really is 7 star in every way!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Bickerton23
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We stayed at the Burj Al Arab for three nights to celebrate my husbands 40th Birthday. The break was a surprise for my husband but it turned out to be a surprise for both of us. We are seasoned travellers and often stay in some of the worlds most renowned and luxurious hotels including Sandy Lane, Barbados, Raffles Hotels, The One and Only's etc..... but none of those even come close to this hotel.

We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived, we were made to feel very special, welcomed and they embraced us as though we were part of the family. We arrived at 10am in the morning, check in is usually at 3pm but we were not left waiting, we were shown straight to our room on the 5th floor for the check in. The bags arrived shortly after and once we were shown the amenities by our personal butler we were then left to explore this two storied one bedroom suite. Our room overlooked the view towards Atlantis and palm island and the floor to ceiling windows were amazing. Everything was computerised such as the lights, curtains, doors, tv and on demand movies etc... you had a handheld touch screen device that you can take around the room with you.

The first thing that amazed us as we came into the room was the sheer size of it and all the gold gilt and bright colours that decorate the room. The grand staircase leading to the bedrooms was also a very big surprise but very beautiful.

Before coming to stay at the Burj we had been here once before for afternoon tea a number of years ago and we thought it was very over the top and perhaps you wouldn't feel very relaxed staying there. Now having stayed there we know that although it is over the top it is something that should be done at least once in your lifetime and it does seem very fitting for this hotel and we couldn't fault one thing, we even managed to relax as well as the dress code is not strict for residents and we were able to come and go in our beach clothes without being made to feel uncomfortable.

The staff were amazing they anticipated our every need, they knew us by name even if they'd never seen us before and no request was too much trouble. They always greeted us with smiles. The hotel had been informed by our travel agent that it was my husbands birthday and one evening we got a knock on our room door, as we opened it we were confronted with three butlers wheeling a tray of desserts, a birthday cake and a guitar. They then began to play and sing happy birthday and gave flowers, cards and a cake a wonderful surprise and a very memorable moment. Thanks to all our butlers, you were wonderful.

I used the gym a number of times while I was there. They have a separate gym for women or a mixed gym if you prefer. Both are equipped identical with all the latest machines and equipment. The gym is on one of the top floors so the view is amazing while you're running on the treadmills, the staff were also very helpful.

We visited the Wild Wadi waterpark for a day and reclaimed our youth. I don't think it matters how old you feel you are this waterpark is a great way of enjoying yourself and not worrying that you may still act like a teenager. All the rides were well thought out, the queues were small and the rides are well kept. It was well worth the visit. We also took the Segway ride for an hour and this too was well worth it. We had a great time touring the Jumeriah resort. The segways were very easy to control and with a few minutes practice we were off on the tour. We thought they were very reasonably priced too.

We had a spa treatment which was also well worth it. The hot rocks couples massage was lovely and we both felt very pampered and well looked after.

The only one thing that was a little inconvenient about this hotel was the access to the beach and although we didn't go to the beach during our stay at The Burj we can see that it would be difficult to know exactly where to go and how to get to it. Saying that though there is so some much to do that for us the beach was last on our list of priorities.

Thank you for a wonderful stay and a great surprise.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple