“Great hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai
Ranked #53 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed August 8, 2014

This is a great hotel, some minor flaws, but very minor. We loved it.

We stayed for 14 days , over 2 bookings in the same month.

Now I will say the main reason we booked here is the price for the hotel was a bargain during Ramadan for a beach front 5 star resort. We found the cheapest prices for the hotel where actually on their own website!

FIRST THE ADVICE:

ONLY book the club rooms, you wont regret this. DO NOT book the breakfast package or the meal supplement. You wont want it or need it. Just get a club room.

THEN THEN BAD

The beds really kinda suck, they are soft and sagging, we stayed in 2 different rooms and both beds were soft, sagging and seem to have old mattresses on them were you can tell a thousand bums have slept, there is a obvious dent on each side and a big lump or rise in the middle. You will wake up sore... I promise.

The Pool...
great pool dont get me wrong, our first week there was only one pool open, no problem as it was quiet. BUT there are a lot of chair hogs at this hotel, they will go down at 8am or earlier mark their territory on a pool chair and then come back only at 2pm for a 20 minute swim! (ok not all were this bad). The staff didnt discourage this practice and they didnt clear the seats so you couldnt always tell what was available. ...

The pool has a severe lack of umbrellas for the amount of furniture, and this is really a big issue when its 45 c and sunny all day. There are many small umbrellas that only caste a shadow for one seat, and many many umbrellas broken or in really sad state of disrepair (rips, broken arms and wood jutting out). For a hotel like this you wouldnt expect to see ripped umbrellas.

Adult pool
Great idea, doesnt work in the summer. The pool is 90% in the sun all day. Needs some more shade peoples....then you you make more money from that sunken bar.

Swimming lessons.... they are held on Friday and Saturday 10am onwards in the busiest pool in the middle of everyone, its not something I would expect to see in a Ritz Carlton pool. So beware if you go to the pool on the weekend.

Whats open, whats not... whats available,
There were closed bars and restaurants , but we didnt know it, the website didnt tell us this also and none of the staff told us this. This will apparently change soon after renovations.

By the pool food and drink..
You can get food by the poolside, but you have to ask for it no one wants to really sell it to you, I really wish they would have menus on the tables, and how about happy hours. What type of resort doesnt have a happy hour anywhere!

ALSO Marriott rewards and the wifi
You MUST be a Marriott gold member to get the free wifi, nearly all hotels now in Dubai give free wifi in room,but sadly not the Ritz, if you arent a gold member you will be paying some ridiculous amount per day for internet access in room and by the pool.

THE GOOD
The rooms, are great, they are big, the aircon cold and everything works perfect. The bathrooms are spectacular.

From the valet parking guys to the cleaners they are all friendly and will greet you by name... the staff are the asset of this hotel (actually the only exception to this was the lifeguards, some didnt speak english well at all, and they were really not that friendly which was out of place)

The club lounge is great, sure the food is a little repetitive (ok a lot), but its fresh and tasty and included in the room cost. For the most part the staff in the club lounge are exceptional in particular Claudia, Albert, Shamzat (sorry if its spelt wrong)... the guy from Kolkata (sorry cant remember your name) and most of the others.

We only ate in La Baie , we did lunch by the pool (see pic) which was great, we did lunch in the restaurant , the lunch food is great (its upmarket pub fare), and we did dinner there (very disappointing, dont do dinner its a kinda fake tapas thingy but really pricey for what it was which was the general consensus with other guests too)

We didn't eat at Splendido or Blue Jade, they are quiet pricey, and we didnt want to waste money on them in case it was disappointing like La Baie.

The hotel is located on JBR Walk, so there is a lot of competition just out front , there must be hundreds of restaurants within that 200m walkway. We did enjoy this hotel just for this location, we loved Trader Vics, they have great cocktails and happy hours , give it a try. there is also a Carrefour across the road in the apartment building for those little things....

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this hotel to anybody, we really did have an amazing stay and will come back.

Room Tip: In summer ask for a room on the end of the corridor, the middle rooms are full sun all afternoon and...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank can99

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Myself and my husband stayed at the Ritz Carlton for 3 nights en route to the Maldives, we were not disappointed. The hotel itself was very clean & the reception we received on our arrival was very welcoming. Looking at other reviews I suppose in certain areas the Hotel's decor did look a little outdated but we still felt we were in a really nice Hotel. Our room was very spacious and a really nice room. I was actually really grateful for the Club to be serving food at certain times throughout the day as we went in the month of Ramadan & obviously no one eats outside or in the Shopping Malls, so to be able to come back after trekking around Dubai & have a little nibble on something was really good plus we didn't know they supplied this in our package so a nice touch. The thing I was disappointed in, was on the Hotel's website they say they have 5 swimming pools, however we were told only one was open, I put this down to the Hotel not being in the busy period as most people would probably avoid Dubai in July due to the heat. One other thing that bugged me a little, was the restaurant we ate at finished serving at 9pm which I found really strange & some of the other restaurants were closed, so again can only put it down to being low season and not having the staff available. That's my own thoughts and opinions, however would we stay here again yes we would as those things were not too much of a problem for us, just a slight irritation. Wifi should be available to all guests in their rooms in a hotel of this caliber!!

Room Tip: Only free wifi in the club lounge, should be available in the rooms!!!
2  Thank bayshay
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We only stayed there for one night on the last leg of our multi country wedding anniversary trip. The hotel is next to the beach, however it's a bit of a walk. We ended up settling for the swimming pool as we couldn't stand walking far in the July heat, it was 46 degrees that day! Jumeirah is quite a distance from the airport, we paid AED97 for the taxi. The staff were excellent, right from being met by the entrance to getting our bags delivered. I cannot say anything negative about the staff that I came across during my entire stay. We stayed in a Club room which was nice, with a pool and sea facing balcony. I thought having a tablet to control the AC, lighting, alarm and curtains was awesome, I had never seen that before.

We had complimentary breakfast and snacks in the club lounge but I felt the selection was not broad enough, perhaps something to do with it being Ramadan when we were there? For dinner we ordered room service and the food was amazing.

I was very disappointed that there is no free internet in this hotel. To add to this, as we had a club room, we could have free internet....but this is only available in the club lounge!? I must have lost some weight as I constantly walked from my room to the club lounge to check my email and whatsapp messages. I suggest they make this club internet available in the club rooms as well as the club lounge. The other Dubai hotel we stayed at did this...

Room Tip: Club rooms come with complimentary breakfast and club lounge internet
1  Thank Tafadzwa T
Reviewed August 1, 2014

My family and friends go to Ritz-Carlton at least a couple of times per months. We live in the same area and have spend many events there, New Years (Great spot to view fireworks), Valentine dinner and Birthday parties. Everyone in the staff always greets you with a smile and kind polite words. Even our daughters feel comfortable with the staff and sometimes leaves for some adventures in the hotel. Always comes back with may stories and happy faces.

The restaurants are extraordinary and the chef's makes the most amazing food. The price for the service and the freshness of the food is outstanding. It feels like a second home from home and makes us in a great mood before going there and after saying good-bye...

Thanks for all the good times and we look forward to several more...

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Christian J
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We also were at the Ritz Carllton last week during Ramadan. My biggest dissapointment was the pool area. A huge part of the pool area was closed for renovation. Most of the picture you see on there website are not available. There is no waterfall in the pool, no bridge over the pool, no bar with canopy. When looking at the pictures today I thought it was a different hotel. I also agree about the club room. The food was very average. I was excited to go to the evening chocolate spread but it was actually a waste of time. As the last review said, we were out to dinner during the two hours that alcohol was available so didn't have any. We travelled for six weeks around Europe and this was the only hotel that didn't have free wifi. What 4 or 5 star hotel these days doesn't have free wifi. I decided I would just pay to have it until I saw the price they were charging for just a few hours. I think it is really bad that there is nothing on there website saying that half the outdoor area is unusable. This is our forth time in Dubai and the other three hotels were much better for the same price. I was happy with the room we had and also the staff were very good. One more thing if you do stay at this hotel and use a taxi, make sure you get a yellow one as the ones they have there waiting to be used are a lot more expensive. They tell you they are the same price but they are not.

4  Thank deborahjane865
Yvonne v, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor of your recent stay at the Ritz-Carlton Dubai.

We are very happy to hear that you appreciated the service provided by our Ladies & Gentlemen and that you enjoyed your room at our resort, however we are truly sorry to read from your review that your experience did you meet your expectations.

It is always very valuable for us to understand our guest experiences so that we can continue to review our service offerings and please be assured that your comments has been shared with the concerned Managers and the team accordingly.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review.

Kind regards,

Raul Salcido

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Best Hotel we stayed at during our holiday and this was only a one night stop over on our way home from Rome to Perth. We arrived at 5.30am, check-in was not until 2.00pm however they arranged a room immediately! Nothing was a problem.
The hotel is first class but the people have made the difference, wish we were here longer, will come back again. The hotel arranged a birthday party for my 7 yr daughter at the kids club and this is only a one night stay!
This is a credit to the management and people who work here they make the difference.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Chippa51
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Ritz Carlton

Checkin was quick. And although the room wasn't due to be ready for a few hours we only waited an hour or so. Our request for two double beds hadn't been logged but they were very swift to move us once we saw the room ( another short wait for room to be cleaned) but it was worth it, the room was HUGE!
They have a Nespresso machine in the room which was a lovely touch, and we made full use of the free coffee pods at the end of the day.
The club room is well worth upgrading to go for a decent breakfast and somewhere to retreat to during the summer heat, although lunch time and early evening the choice is very limited for food and we struggled with our two children ( who are adventurous eaters).

The room service menu is also limited - not what I would expect for a large hotel but the food was super. The ricotta and orange salad, and lentil soup was fabulous, and the children's food good quality chicken and large portions. Room service was also quick. The mini bar, drinks and wine were particularly expensive I felt.

The control panel for curtains and mood lighting was novel and the children loved putting the room to 'cinema' mode! The beds/bedding was very comfortable maybe the mattress was a bit too soft though. The bathroom was enormous with the most beautiful bath, and TV on wall and a large glass windows between bathroom and bedroom. The balcony is tiny and I do not like the set up of a split shared balcony - one low level railing diving the rooms balconies. No privacy at all.

I have to say we were incredibly disappointed that the one pool was closed. We close it because of the set up for it two children knowing they would be kept busy in the heat, so to find it was closed and we weren't informed was a huge oversight. NOT happy! Head we known without any hesitation we would have changed hotel.

Unfortunately the pool chillers weren't working for our first 2/3 days (of 5). It's was 43 degrees here, and although we are used to the heat getting into a 'warm bath' was not appealing!! It did nothing to cool is down :0( it was acknowledged after I emailed customer services, and they were working on it, but this wasn't really acceptable. A temp controlled pool is expected when holidaying in the Middle East during the summer!

The staff we were very helpful but at time seemed a little stuffy and jobs worthy.
We arrived early and were told at reception we were welcome to use the club lounge for breakfast. When we arrived at the lounge we were made to feel unwelcome and told "usually we don't allow access until midday on day of arrival". A phone call ahead to the lounge would have made the gesture appreciated rather than made us feel uncomfortable. This is where their excellent customer service standards are inconsistent/lacking slightly.

The children's club was fine, but a weird location and very small and cramped, and on day one there was a very heavy smell of cigarettes in this area, but not noticeable the following days. Maybe smoking rooms nearby or just a one off?

The set up with an adults only area (pool and loungers) and the outdoor seating lounge would be beautiful for the winter time and great for young couples.

The gym was great, it had some very modern equipment and the staff knowledgable and helpful. ( windows need washing though!!) water and towels provided even though it was Ramadan.

I think overall it is a wonderful low level hotel with lovely grounds and clean pools etc. It will serve well famililies, but maybe with older children, and also for couples looking for romance.

Wouldn't be my top choice to take my 3yo and 10yo back to.

It has brilliant access to the walks of JBR, giving you a huge choice of restaurants and amenities. Great location to discover new Dubai, but a bit of a trek from old Dubai ( souks/karama etc)

Overall, for my experience I would give it 3/5, but understand some of the incidents that made our stay less than perfect were beyond anyone's control, hence why I have given it 4/5. I also think couples will have a much better experience than us with a young family. Loose the pretentiousness and make sure younger guests are more catered for generally and it will be much better!

Stayed: July 2014