“A world class beach resort with five star service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai
Ranked #57 of 541 Hotels in Dubai
Houston, Texas, United States
“A world class beach resort with five star service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Oh where to start...

The ritz is really more of a beach resort than typical hotel. The facilities are surrounded by pools, lawns, lounging areas and cabanas. The grounds are perfectly kept. The hotel facilities themselves are typically ritz Carlton with a sort of understated, decadent elegance. The colors and furniture are all chosen tasteful but let you know that you are at a five star facility. The hotel staff saw to all of my needs immediately and went out of their way to accommodate abnormal requests. The rooms are large, computer controlled and immaculate. The bathrooms are large, the products refined and the tubs artistic. All rooms feature a balcony and overlook the sea (I think).

For example I checked in early, before noon, and was given a room right away. I checked out after four and they stored my luggage and even let me go to the spa to freshen up before I departed.

Here is the real kicker: when I departed the hotel, I went to dinner with friends, planning to continue on to the airport. When I hopped out of the taxi, he took off with my luggage still in the trunk. My flight was in a little over four hours, and I didn't even have my passport. I had no receipt, no cab number, no license plate - NOTHING! I called the ritz Carlton and within 30 minutes, they had pulled the CCTV footage, identified the cab, contacted the cab company, contacted the driver, dispatched him to our restaurant and even confirmed that all items were still in the luggage. That is the five star service you pay for at Ritz properties.

My few gripes: I booked through Amex Platinum which entitles you to a late checkout, $100 food and beverage credit, free breakfast and a room upgrade. I am also Marriott Rewards Gold, which also usually entitles you to a room upgrade. From what I can tell, my room was not upgraded. Now, even the standard rooms at this property are lovely, but in all fairness, for the price, they should be. That brings me to my last minor detractor, the price. I paid around $750 a night for a standard room. The amenities I mentioned above were courtesy of AMEX and the base room price would have been the same regardless. That's steep when you consider all of the high end hotels in Dubai, especially along the beach, like the new Westin just up the road. However, if you're overly price sensitive, you're provably not shopping RC anyway. They are one of my favorites, but I do know what I am getting into when they swipe the plastic.

Overall, I had a marvelous experience. I truly felt special and pampered. Many thanks to Ritz-Carlton for another lovely stay.

Room Tip: Book through AMEX or similar to receive extra amenities and increase the value quotient.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Clay S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

We had a very good experience. Club room worth the extra money as it affords you some benefits such as free food and drinks. Have stayed in RC Singapore and Jakarta and found this to be of comparable high standard. We only stayed a few nights but overall found it a good spot. That said, and in mind of other reviews, this is a hotel and not a resort so if you're coming here for a 7 day Med-type beach holiday this might not be quite right for you. RCs are business hotels first and foremost don't forget. Only reason not given 5 stars is that you have to pay for in room wi-fi. Just stupid.

Room Tip: Get a west facing club room. You can watch the sun set from your balcony
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JDW82
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

My family and I stayed there for five nights, we had a club lounge access which was totally worth the money .They treated us very well all the way. We really enjoyed the heated pool and the relaxing atmosphere, and not to forget the very well trained staff that made our stay very enjoyable. The resort is very new, organized and clean with a very exciting location on the beach.
It is at the JBR walk with a lot of restaurants and coffee shops around.

Room Tip: fifth and sixth floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank abounajmfamily
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed in The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai (one of 2 RC properties) in 2013.

The hotel originally was apparently one of the first in the marina area, before all the construction of the Palms, Burj Al-Arab etc was done; it is right on a beautiful beach although by April the temperature is getting too hot to really enjoy it much. The building is low rise, so that can mean a bit of a walk to the reception area.

Upon check in, we received welcome drinks and Arabian snacks; the breakfasts were excellent every day (yes you can eat pork sausages and bacon if you want). I did not use the swimming pool, but it seemed very nice.

Rooms are very generous in size; we had a slight issue of drainage from the bath on the ground floor, so you might want to get a 1st or 2nd floor room if you can if baths are something you like to use. As always, Ritz-Carlton were always there to answer questions, and Sylvia who was helping us with our meeting at the hotel was one of the most professional organisers you could hope to find.

Beds as always and pillows are awesome....the range of chocolates provided each day were not so great for watching my weight, but the fruits were much appreciated!

All in all, a great hotel to stay, and while Dubai maybe doesn't have a huge amount to do in one area (so you will tend to be travelling around the city for this and that) the location is pretty central for most things.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor and the view is a little nicer unless you have kids, in which case the ground flo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kipsan B
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

A really poor standard of service ruined what should have been 5 star luxury in a newly renovated Ritz Carlton Hotel at a very special time of the year.

We stayed over Christmas for 12 nights and had a Club Executive room with access to the Club lounge. The room was beautiful, recently renovated and very spacious but other than that the experience we had was nowhere near 5 star but more 3 star if even that!! However on the night we arrived (actually the very early hours of the morning after travelling for over 8hours) it took almost 40 minutes for our bags to be brought up to our room.

Housekeeping was poor and for most of the nights we were there we didn't have enough towels left in the room! Face towels were taken on the first morning and we didn't see them again until the following week when we got them only twice more. Turn down service was hit or miss and one evening only one bed was turned down and the curtains weren't even drawn!

The staff at the pool were at times so uninterested in their job or the guests that they came across as rude and grumpy. Sun Loungers were 'Reserved' by pool staff every morning at 8.00am on behalf of guests who paid them cash to do so the night before so anyone else arriving to the pool after breakfast were given the worst available. The pool staff and the life guard were regularly playing football at the side of the pool - that was when the lifeguard wasn't on his phone texting!

The most frustrating of all was the service around the pool for food and drinks…..almost non existent. Many days it took 20-30 mins to get someone to take the order and at times drinks took from 30-60mins to finally arrive! Eventually after a week of this, the minute I saw a waiter I would order all my drinks and an ice bucket so that we could at least sit back and relax without constantly being on the hunt for a waiter. The food however and the pool was very good…..when you could get it!! But again the attitude and lack of a customer service was a daily annoyance.

As for the lounge…..hit or miss staff (some very pleasant some very rude)….tables in the dining area not set with cutlery for breakfast….staff thinking all white wine is the same and mixing it when they topped up the glasses! Only being remembered by name on one or two occasions…..repetitive selection of canapés every evening and of a very average standard ….simple tasks being made sound like unreasonable requests…..Having stayed in Al Qasr on all of our other trips to Dubai and using the Club Lounge there….this one really was very poor.

On the bright side the weather was good and we dined twice in Splendido and both were exceptional meals with wonderful service.

If you are looking for true 5 star and like the finer things and little things done well then I would avoid this hotel and spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Mcgab534
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton for many years and have watched the area around the hotel develop from desert to The Walk and the Jumeirah Residences. We have never failed to be impressed by the standards at the hotel and the welcome we have received when we returned, particularly from the staff at the pool.

On this occasion we stayed from the 3 to 10 December and experienced the new accommodation for the first time. Whilst the old accommodation was becoming a little dated the same cannot be said for the new block which is of the highest standard both in the public areas and the rooms. The new public areas are opulent and stylish with the benefit of wonderful floral displays and Christmas decorations when we were there. Similarly, the new rooms are superbly finished and up to the high standards of Ritz Carlton.

Whilst being used to and probably prefering the original pool area and gardens (which are being renovated at present) to the new pool and gardens the staff were their normal selves, welcoming us back and looking after us suberbly over the week. We have known Sayed and Charlie for many years and they continue to make us feel extremely welcome and comfortable with nothing ever being too much trouble for them. In fact they are one of the reasons we keep returing to the hotel. This year we also met Sanjay and Rashid who were excellent around the pool and also looked after us during the week. Already looking forward to returning this year.

The renovation of the hotel is still ongoing but you would never know it as work seems to be almost silent. I look forward to seeing the whole project complete and the hotel having the finest gardens and pool areas on Jumeirah Beach.

The expansion of the hotel has also seen the opening of the Blue Jade Restaurant. We ate there with friends and were hugely impressed by the service and the cuisine. We will return!

The hotel has been a favourite of ours for many years and indeed is the standard by which we judge hotels around the world. Whilst being a little sceptical on the effect that doubling its' size would have we were delighted to see that it has retained its standards and character. We look forward to returning this year and meeting up with old friends on the staff.

Room Tip: All rooms of a very high standard!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Nice hotel in a great location. We had a room overlooking the pool area.... quite a magnificent view. The temperature in Dubai was very humid, and it was always a relief to get back to the luxury of the hotel. I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family