“Clean and pompous, but sad”

Movenpick Hotel & Apartments Bur Dubai
Ranked #104 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Taking an unexpected stop in Dubai we booked this hotel at the airport desk with very friendly Faycal. Hotel new, sparkling clean, a bit pompous in the decorum, "Titanic"like staircase. Great breakfast, loved the tea-station where u could just fill your own teapot w hot water and select any teabag u liked. Wish other hotels would pick up on this idea. Although I can never understand why hotels keep serving tea in coffee cups?? Its like serving beer in a redwine glass. anyway,.... The room was nice, spacious, clean, great bed. But, sadly, very dark, we had the feeling of being in a basement room. Window facing the inner lobby, not to be opened - for obvious reasons. Wonder how long it will take before anyone will drop something out the window? High noise level in room, plumbing, machines, neighbour making mobile call at 2 am! As rooms are connected by double doors, especially noise-sensitive. Pool a disappointment, rooftop concrete, tiny pool, blaring loud radio. Breakfast room also loud flamenco music at 6 am - pleeeaaase!!! Before we decided for this hotel we had been assured there would be a bus shuttle twice daily to the beach. 9.30 am we were taken by hotel limousine to Jumeirah beach, signed a tab which later was charged 40Drhs to our bill. Return shuttle supposedly at 2 pm, but concierge told us to give him a call from the beach. This was impossible (no mobiles, no local phones on beach) we returned by taxi at our own expense. After objection the shuttle charge was removed from our bill, but I still feel it is unfair to advertise a shuttle service that does not seem to exist.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Snövit
Write a ReviewReviews (2,484)

Reviewed February 11, 2010

I spent six nights at the Movenpick. The hotel was clean, the service was friendly and good. The rooms are spacious and modern. The bar and restaurant were also good

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2010

We started our holidays in this hotel, so that we can see Dubai first, then we went to Jumeirah beach for another 8 days. The rooms in Movenpick Bur Dubai Hotel are spacious, with very comfy beds, the breakfast is excellent. The hotel is clean and beautiful, with friendly staff. The swimming pool on the rooftop is 30 degrees C warm, clean, and we could have a nice sunbathing in January. If you are a non smoker and want a non smoking room, you'd better write a mail to the hotel in advance, as we could not have any, and the room had a heavy smell of smoke (it also came through the air con system) and the windows are not allowed to be opened. So, as a solution, we asked the management to exceptiomnally let us open the window. Some of the rooms' windows look on the inner hall or the lobby, the majority to the street. The traffic is not so loud, it did not disturb us. There are plenty of cheap restaurants and a mall with a supermarket in the neighborhood of the hotel. You can take a taxi or a hotel limousine (100 AED/hour, min. 2 hours) for a sight seing tour - if you are lucky, the driver will tell you many things. It is definitely worth to stay in this hotel, we would recommend it to anyone and will return when we are in Dubai again. (We have also tried Four Points Sheraton Bur Dubai: far much less worth than this hotel!) A good choice!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Serike
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I was there for 4 days Jan 2010 and i Compare it to other 5 star hotels i experienced before in Dubai, and Indeed Moevenpick Hotel Bur Dubai is a very great place to stay at when i go back to Dubai again, and i think The staff over there must be Rewarded Especially at the fourth floor.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We stayed here 4 days we were a large group 32 people, apart from disorientation related to jetlag/timezone differences and a hotel layout that is repetitive tasteful decor we were well cared for.
The most exceptional thing about this hotel experience for me and most of my travelling companions was the food, buffet style meals, with freshness and variety , wonderful to try Arabic delicacies,the Brunch with Chocolate fountains, Yum Cha Table, Fresh made crepes was so memorable.
Serious danger of over eating. However sadly no Moevenpik Icecream.
Gym and Pool facilities Modest but adequate ( pool on the roof, gym on the first floor)

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 9, 2010

I recently stayed at the Moevenpick in Bur Dubai. I booked a two bedroom suite. The main hotel is very nice, but the two bedroom suite is not in the main hotel. It is a 5 minute car ride to the Apartment building behind the main hotel. The apartment was two-star at best.
Upon arrival the check-in staff were nice, but the information they provided was incorrect. I arranged for a massage and was told it was in the apartment building. It was not so I had to call (and wait) for a car to pick me up and had to go back to the main hotel and ask for help. This time the guy at reception was rude, "I told you it was in the apartments." But when I told the guy that the spa told me it is near room 108, he yelled at me and insisted it was in the apartments and directed me to door. Instead I went to room 108 and found the Treatment room across the hall. At least the massage was nice.
I informed the check-out staff of the rude behavior I was subjected to when I checked out. I was offered no concession, and when I asked for a discount the guy actually laughed. Furthermore the check-out process was dragged out while he waited for confirmation of how I left the room. He had to call housekeeping twice while I waited 20 minutes.
I will not stay here again. The apartments being separate from all hotel facilities is terribly inconvenient, it is not close to the airport, and the hotel staff were the most rude I have ever seen.
Finally, before posting this I called the hotel to speak with the General Manager to see if he had received my complaint card. The hotel operator told me the GM was not taking calls.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Travelling_Nomads
Reviewed December 27, 2009

Great 5 star hotel at a fair price. We stayed in the executive room and enjoyed the easy access to the roof pool and the restaurant on 4. floor with delicisious breakfast and happy hour.

Fast internet connection.

The Jumeriah beach is at least 25. minutes away in taxi.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family