“UNFRIENDLY staff”

Millennium Airport Hotel Dubai
Ranked #189 of 557 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Our stay in this hotel was not our call. My husband slipped on a wet floor with no warning signs when at the Dubai airport and fractured his hip. Emirates airlines was kind enough to set us up at this place for one night, with meal vouchers. When I went down to get dinner with the vouchers I explained the situation (how we had just been an entire day at the ER etc.) and was denied taking two plates of food upstairs. The person implied that since it was a buffett, I'd be taking advantage and sort of stealing food. The result? Room service, which was absolutely not worth it's cost. Additionally, we were not allowed to place international calls if not before paying $100 deposit. There was no understanding for our dire situation since my husband couldn't be left unattended. We were promised that someone would come up with a wireless card reader, but they never showed up. The day after, despite leaving the 100 USD deposit, it took ONE HOUR of bouncing between reception and operator to make our first call (Operator: you need to pay Me: I did Operator: call the reception to confirm; Reception: It's active tell the operator; Operator: the line isn't active - and so forth for one hour...). The following morning we woke up late due to previous exhausting day. We called the restaurant seeing if they would let me get food and again they denied. When my husband called Room service, he was told that breakfast was not served after 10:30 and it was literally 10:32. I went down, infuriated since my husband needed the food to take his pain medication and the manager promised to have two breakfasts brought up. My husband called down at 12:00 and the manager said that NOW he would ask. Ridiculous right? They didn't care about the situation at all. The only good thing of the hotel was Mario the porter who was always smiling and assisting with the wheelchair - before getting any tips. All in all, a disgusting experience where "customer service" are two words that were left by the management and staff out of the Millennium's front door.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SusiePCalx

Reviewed November 19, 2010

I couldn't have been happier being given this room to stay in during my stopover in Dubai. The room was spotlessly clean, the bed & pillow comfortable, the air conditioning great, the sound proofing out-of-this-world and the sleep I got before my next flight was priceless. You could not ask for more for something you don't pay for! And even if I had paid, I would still have been very happy!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank sarahl0uise
Reviewed October 30, 2010

If I had to actually pay the posted room rates for this hotel, I would have been more upset....but I received the room free of charge from Emirates as part of their long stopover program, so with that I was pleased for what I got gratis.

I would venture to guess 90% of the guests at this hotel are here from Emirates; the staff seemed to be very adept at shuttling people in and out of the hotel. The rooms are clean, spacious, but very no-frills - the towels are thin and scratchy; the shampoo comes in packets; the prisoner grade bar shop generates no suds. But the beds are soft and the TV (with about five watchable channels) works....not that you're watching it anyway considering you'll want to fall asleep quickly before the alarm gets you up.

Which leads to how ridiculously early they wake you up here - over two hours prior to your flight, despite it being literally five minutes away from the airport. You do not have a say in this matter - you arrive, tell them your flight, and they schedule your wake up call. We questioned this practice on our first stay here - really? We need to wake up at 3am for our 6am flight? - and were told that there are so many flights at that hour that Customs could be backed up. So we did....only to arrive to a virtually empty airport. Thank goodness McDonald's at the airport was open to keep us busy for the next two hours. So on the way back, we told them we really wanted more time; that we'd be okay with only an hour notice.....we were told it was not an option. So once again we were bored to death at the airport (since security was yet again only two people long). I guess they have to do it that way to best schedule the rooms since they are just a revolving welcome mat for Emirates passengers.

One last note....most guests receive a free buffet ticket during their stay (which, by the way, is actually much, much better than I would have expected). I ate dinner and breakfast twice and watched as about 5% of the guests, despite getting a free meal, did not leave any tips to the hard working staff. I felt bad because the wait staff there was so friendly and worked like bumblebees trying to clean up plates, refill glasses, etc.....just because it's a buffet doesn't mean you shouldn't tip something! :)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sailornep5
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Dubai knows how to extend a warm welcome, any time of the year. I wasn't expecting the usual hospitality to necessarily be present at the airport but this hotel was comfortable, elegant, luxurious and well appointed. A short stay was made extra enjoyable by the great food and relaxing leisure facilities.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank craiglegrice
Reviewed October 21, 2010

Friendly staff, rooms were very clean and elegent infact good value for money will surly return and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2010

This hotel is very near Dubai International Airport. My group and me were allocated to this hotel due to a flight delay / mis-connection.

The room is spacious and cosy. But no toiletries are given.

There is a nearby mall but did not have the time as it closed by the time we are allocated there. There is the last night tour offered by the hotel at USD30 though.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alvis Y
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I've stayed at the Millenium a few times, both on Emirates provided stopovers as well as on stays paid out of my own pocket. The hotel is adequate but no more. It's proximity to the airport is its only real plus point but with new developments in the Airport/Festival City/Garhoud area, even that selling point is being eroded. Rooms are fine - not luxurious but not uncomfortable either. Check-in is a nightmare. I've never had it go smoothly. They always mess up on something, whether it is taking a credit card deposit or the length of stay or whatever. Food at the buffets is mass produced slop but the a la carte restaurants are fine. Staff are friendly and try to be helpful but are often quite jaded. The lobby tends to have a bit of a bazaar/bus station/Tower of Babel atmosphere. Internet at AED50/2 hrs is a complete ripoff. All in all, its adequate for a transit stop but nothing longer than one night.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business