“Inconsistent service”

Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #29 of 554 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed February 8, 2011

I chose this hotel because of the great reviews here but was disappointed with the overall experience. Having said that, this was our first trip to The Middle East and I am unable to compare it with other hotels in Dubai or this region. However, I have travelled extensively within Asia and Europe and this hotel definitely isn't one that I would rate highly compared with others that I have stayed in.

My assistant booked direct with the hotel and I understand it was smooth. I was travelling with 2 kids and an elderly parent so when I booked 3 months before the trip, I requested for connecting rooms. I sent another request a couple of weeks before arrival just to ensure the hotel was aware of the importance of this. Although the hotel could not guarantee it, they acknowledged our request and said they would try their very best to accommodate.

We booked 2 club rooms and when we arrived, we were not upgraded unlike many of the guests who wrote their reviews here. That was not a problem at all but I was hugely disappointed that they did not manage to give us connecting rooms. You can imagine how inconvenient it was for us. I understand our request is subject to availability but after staying at the hotel for a week, I just do not think the hotel really went the extra mile to make our stay pleasant and wonder if they have really tried hard enough to accommodate our request for connecting rooms.

The check in took at least 25 mins at the main reception and then another 15 minutes at the reception of the club tower where we stayed. This was far too long by any standard. I am not sure when the hotel was built but the club tower looks like it is in need of a major refurbishment. The room is of a good size but the age is clearly showing. There is no separate walk in shower and it is quite inconvenient (and unsafe) for an elderly person to climb in and out of the bath tub.

When I made the booking I gave my credit card details to guarantee the reservation. When I checked in, I was asked to sign a credit card authorisation for a few thousand Dirhams. The next day, the hotel left a message and asked me to go to the reception where I was asked to sign another authorisation for a few thousand Dirhams. Not sure why such authorisations were required (in my other hotel stays, it was sufficient to have my credit card swiped without having to authorize any amount). Also, why they could not ask me to sign one authorization on check in to save troubling the guest twice? May be my credit worthiness deteriorated overnight!

Breakfast was acceptable but the food was luke warm. It did not change at all in the 7 days we were there so we got quite bored with the food at breakfast half way through the stay. Judging from the reviews here, many guests stayed for quite a number of days, so some changes in breakfast offerings would be welcomed I am sure. We only tried one other restaurant during our stay and it was ok but nothing worth mentioning.

The gym equipment was quite good, and newer than the hotel, thank goodness! You need to walk pass the spa entrance to get to the gym and that area has a foul smell that one would associate with a dilapidated building. I hope the hotel will fix this as it is not pleasant. Internet connection is slow and a code is required, and every time you turn on your lap top, you have to input the code once again. Not sure why it has to be so inconvenient especially it is actually free for the guests? We went to another hotel for dinner one day and discovered the connection there was much quicker! The hotel should really consider upgrading its broadband connection to provide a much faster speed.

The reviews here talked about the great staff which was true to a certain extent. Some were indeed very friendly and helpful, and greeted you in the corridor etc. We booked all our sightseeing tours and dinners at the hotel's guest services desk and the people there were great, except for one who completely ignored me and went to serve an European standing behind me while we were both waiting to be served and I was clearly there before him. Another thing to note is that when I pressed the 'services' button on the phone, sometimes it was engaged or no one picked it up after many rings!

The most disappointing thing happened on the day before check out. I requested for late check out on one of the rooms till 4pm as we had an evening flight. Without even checking anything, the answer was no. I asked for special consideration as we had 2 kids and an elderly with us, and we were finally told it could be extended to 3pm. I then had to spend the next 10 minutes persuading the manager to allow an additional hour till 4pm. Yes, I understand the hotel was full (actually I checked the hotel website and rooms were still available) and the standard check out time was 12pm etc. But if you have already agreed to extend check out till 3pm, in my view there is no point upsetting the guest by not allowing just an hour more, especially when the guest is clearly annoyed!

Overall, the hotel has some good staff but the standard can vary which is why I would say the service is inconsistent. For example, while we were waiting for a taxi to go to Burj Al Arab, a staff member kindly reminded us that the clothes a family member was wearing were not in accordance with the dress code of that hotel. At other times, the service can be disappointing, as pointed out above.

If I were to return to Dubai, I would choose a much newer and modern hotel and Dubai certainly has many hotels to offer in that category. May be I came to the Royal Meridien with too high expectations, but I certainly feel there are areas that the hotel can improve on to live up to its reputation as the number one hotel on the trip advisor website.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Bronwynyu
LeRoyalMeridienDubai, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your detailed review following your recent stay with us at Le Royal Meridien.

I was extremely concerned to read that you were disappointed with your overall experience with us and we would very much welcome the opportunity speak to you personally to better understand your concerns. Therefore may I kindly request you to contact us on LeRoyalMeridien-GuestServices@lrm-gh-dubai.com

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 6, 2011

I have been getting advise/tips from this web site for years an never bothering to join up to post my own reviews.
I felt compelled to do one for the LRM as we totally fell in love with the place, the ambiance, staff, quality off food, pool area (including beach area), entertainment and rooms were perfect.
We checked in and got an upgrade to a tower suite - great touch and it started off our vaccation perfectly. I had asked for a bottle of champagne and flowers to be in the room, not dissapointed as they were there within minutes off checking in. We spent nice times at the pool and walked down by the beach, all perfect in our opinion. Cocktails were nice and waiters were on hand at all times to assist. We ate at the Gary Rhodes restaurant the 1st night and it was just just perfect, also ate at the Mexican and Italian, they were also very good, breakfast were superb and so much to choose from.
My partner wanted her hair done at short notice one evening and they asisted with no issues. We had a massgae on the Sunday morning, very very relaxing and worth the money no doubt.
Overall both off us loved the place, we could pop outside and walk along the seafront where there was other hotels and shops/restaurants, very nice atmosphere with everybody smiling.
Little touches like fruit and afternoon cakes/choclates in our room was a very nice touch.
We will be back again no doubt, my partner and i loved the ambiance and felt totally relaxed the whole time we were there.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
LeRoyalMeridienDubai, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2011

Thank you for posting your review about Le Royal Meridien on Trip Advisor.

We are extremely delighted to hear that you and your partner had enjoyed your stay with us and had fallen in love with our property. I am also happy to note that you were pleased with your dining experience in Rhodes Twenty10 and at Maya, our Mexican restaurant.

All your kind comments are greatly appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 6, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed this hotel with its large and well kept pool and garden area and beach. The staff is committed to the highest level of service, nearly always with a smile, thus not a stuffy place at all.

There is plenty of space in the outdoor area, no lack of pool space, beach chairs, towels etc. If you want to take a short break and still enjoy some of the attractions of Dubai, this is the perfect place to do so. Be aware, however, that it is not so close to the downtown business centers if that is where you need to go. Leisure travellers, on the other hand, must understand that the highrisers (some still under construction) of the Dubai Marina and Jumeirah Lake Towers areas are very close and therefore you will not feel like being in a remote resort - you are in the city of Dubai, albeit its nicest beach area. Make sure to book a sea view room and take a look out of the window when you check in - we were late in discovering a construction site right below our balcony although the room technically correctly qualified as sea view. Our request to change rooms was immediately accepted although it took a moment (in the middle of the night) to get it done.

In terms of design, it is a bit outdated compared to much newer hotels but not in any way run down. Some areas have been not only renovated but comprehensively remodeled, such as the piano bar.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
LeRoyalMeridienDubai, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2011

Thank you for posting your review about Le Royal Meridien on Trip Advisor.

We are glad to hear that you had thoroughly enjoyed your holiday with us at Le Royal Meridien. All your kind comments are greatly appreciated especially with regards to our associates.

It is always a pleasure to have you as our guests and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 5, 2011

Stayed at the hotel jan 26 for 7 nights, read all the reviews and thought it would be absolute luxury. How dissapointed were me and my wife, our room which was in the main building wasn't particularly spacious and had a real damp musty smell, the bathroom like the bedroom was a little tired and obviously it hadn't been updated since the hotel was built 16 years ago. However the view from the balcony, the cleanliness and the softness of the pillows were exceptional. We found the food at the pool bars to be very average and certainly didn't meet our expectations. The breakfast buffet was good and the service of the staff was satisfactory. As a first time visitor to Dubai I can't compare the hotel to any others but I just feel that if your paying £300 per night £22 for a burger £5 for a water and £8 for a bottle or budweiser you should expect it to be the best you've ever had, and I'm sorry to say it wasn't.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Markshelluk
LeRoyalMeridienDubai, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a constructive review of Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor.

We were sorry to hear that you felt the rooms in the main building were a little outdated and that you noticed a damp musty smell. Please be assured that we continually review and renovate the hotel to ensure that the hotel is kept to the highest standard possible. The main building was last given a soft refurbishment in 2008, however we are continually upgrading and changing the soft furnishings as and when they need changing.

On a positive note however, we are delighted to hear that you particularly liked the view of the gardens and found the hotel to be clean as well as the pillows exceptionally comfortable.

With regards to the pricing throughout the hotel, please be assured that we continually review all of our prices in line with the other 5 star hotels in Dubai to ensure that we compare favorably. The fluctuating pound sterling against the dirham can however sometimes make the prices feel a little more than expected.

Once again thank you for taking the time to share you comments and we look forward to be of further assistance.

Reviewed February 5, 2011

Returned to LRM in November 2010 after our first visit in June. Overall this hotel is fantastic, but there does seem to be a problem at check in. We arrived at the hotel at 8.30am after an overnight flight. We were taken to a room by a member of staff in which we could leave our cases. There were approx 20 other cases in this room. We were unable to freshen up or change as the staff member kept opening the door to let other guests in with their cases. The toilet was also blocked.

We were finally taken to our room at 14.25 hrs despite being told that our room would be ready at midday, 12.30 hrs, 13.00hrs and 14.00 hrs. In fairness to the hotel we were offered complimentary breakfast and lunch and upgraded to a tower room. However, the tower room was directly opposite a building site. On one night in particular the builders actually worked all night.

We were given a complimentary bottle of wine and received several phone calls about the late check in which were appreciated and accepted.

The hotel generally was 1st class and we did have a fantastic holiday. We did notice that the food in the buffet area was not to the same standard in quality or selection on this visit although the other restaurants in the hotel were excellent. Gary Rhodes was amazing for food quality and service.

All in all the hotel is excellent with the most polite staff that we have experienced anywhere in the world. We do however expect to receive our room on time in a 5* hotel and this is something which should be addressed.

Would still highly recommend this hotel and would return.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a constructive review of Le Royal Meridien on Trip Advisor.

We were very sorry to read that your initial arrival experience was a little disappointing and that the team did not give you enough options with regards to being able to freshen up. I can understand that after a long overnight flight you would have been tired and in need of somewhere quiet where you could shower and change whilst waiting for your room. Although check in time is not until 14:00hrs, we have a number of quiet areas with in the resort where you could have rested and additionally the Health Club and Spa has more than enough facilities for you to use. Thank you for your feedback which is much appreciated and please be assured that the necessary action has been taken.

We were also sorry to hear that you the room took a little time to become ready and that different timings were given to you. More accurate information would have enabled you to plan your first day better. This feedback has been shared with our Front Office Team to ensure more accurate and realistic timings are given in the future.

We were reassured however that once you concerns had been raised our team did everything they could to make you comfortable and resolve this issue.

On a more positive note, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the resort and that you had a fantastic holiday. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed February 5, 2011

Went to this hotel with my husband,best friend and her hubby for my 50th birthay. the staff were wonderful they couldn't do enough for us. chocolates on your pillow and fresh fruit everyday,the day of my birthday the staff brought me a card and a birthday cake and (nearly forgot)a bottle of red wine i thought that was a lovely touch.music at the "roof top bar" was good they didnt mind me singing along with songs,i asked for cocktail which they actually didnt make at that bar,but within 5mins they got me one (so thought i better have 2 ) :). The food was great plenty of choice and again staff were great.

If i ever get a chance to go back this the hotel i would stay at.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
LeRoyalMeridienDubai, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2011

Thank you for posting your review about Le Royal Meridien on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to read from your comments that you had stayed with us to celebrate your very special occasion and that you were pleased with the overall experience at our property.

Look forward to welcoming you all back.

Reviewed February 4, 2011

We booked a club room and when we arrived we were upgraded to a Tower Room (the very best we were advised by the receptionist)

Fantastic - or so we thought until we drew back the curtains of our newly upgraded room and saw a big, dirty and very noisy building site within a few yards of our large balcony.

After 11 hours on a plane from Australia this was the last thing we needed - we then spent almost 3 hours messing around with reception trying to arrange another room away from the building site. Lots of false promises and delaying tactics followed. To be frank the first impression of this fine hotel was that of an absolute shambles - we were close to walking out. Was this the 5 star hotel the Trip Advisor reviews raved about?

Eventually we were placed in a Tower Room facing the delightful gardens and for the rest of our stay everything was superb - great food,beautiful grounds and pool and incredibly friendly and helpful staff.

A very apologetic Customer Service Manager provided a complimentary bottle of wine and a free car back to airport at the end of our stay which help partially recover the situation - we still felt that the hotel had 'tried it on' by putting us in room with the nightmare view under the pretext of an upgrade.

A quality hotel like this needs to review its policy on how they deal with the Tower Rooms and the ongoing building work otherwise discerning guests will start to choose other hotels to be on the safe side in the highly competietive Dubai market .

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NickJ2

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor.

We were very sorry to hear that your initial arrival experience was far from smooth and can understand that after a long flight from Australia having to move rooms was far from perfect.

We are additionally sorry to hear that you were informed that you had been upgraded to the Tower. Whilst our Tower Building is our premium product the work being carried out adjacent to the hotel is outside our control and our team should have communicated this to you giving you the option to view the room first. Please be assured that this has been address with the relevant manager.

On a more positive note, once settled in your new room we were happy to read that you enjoyed your vacation with us and that our Guest Services Team did their best to ensure your comfort from there on in.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a constructive review.