“Very good for a Crowne Plaza hotel”

Crowne Plaza Dubai-Deira
Ranked #156 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed February 17, 2013

To be honest, I was expecting the worst after reading some of the reviews here on TA, but I couldn't have been happier on my stay.

I had stayed the previous two nights at the InterContinental Festival City but they were full for the third night as was the Crowne Plaza hotel next to the IC. I had been to couple of other hotels in Deira before so I knew the area quite well.

I was really surprised that they had already processed the upgrade to the club floor, arranged some fruits and a welcome note due to making the booking in less than two hours before of my arrival.

The club lounge was not open yet, but all the club level benefits were provided. In the evening par the lobby bar is cordoned off for a "club" where they had some finger foods and drinks available complimentary for club level guests. The breakfast was provided at the Spice Island restaurant that was super busy on Friday morning and the service bit lacking.

The renovated room was very nice and very un-Crowne Plaza like. It could have been Marriott, Sheraton or any of the "big" brands. I loved the fact that they had Molton Brown toiletries in the bathroom.

I had bit of a challenge with the concierge because I asked them to call Emirates on my behalf and arrange a pick up that night from a different hotel. My Emirates ticket included a complimentary pick up. This took four/five phone calls.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to stay again and I certainly will/

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank LoyaltyLobby
DXBCPManagement, Manager at Crowne Plaza Dubai-Deira, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear "LoyaltyLobby",

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Dubai Deira and for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.com.

Unfortunately, sometimes in hotels service mishaps happen, but I am delighted to read that those comments have not deferred you in your decision to stay with us and I am very pleased to read that on top of that you have enjoyed your stay.

I am proud that we were able to change your initial opinion about our hotel, but also like to thank you for your valuable feedback on improving our services.

We are very much looking forward to your many return visits to our property.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This Hotel is on a main road 5minutes from the metro station. Outside it doesnt look much but inside its lovely. Rooms are huge and new and clean, bedding & towels changed daily, Tea and coffe making included, 24 hour room service, Breakfast is amazing, every thing you could wish for and plenty of it. Beds are huge and so comfy, Bathrooms have all you need in to get clean and fresh, hot powerful shower and big bath, robes and slippers too.
The outside terrace pool is beautiful with lush towels and sun beds and large clam shape loungers, fab! It has all spa facilities and gym too.
The staff are all happy and so helpful. This is a great hotel and the location is great to. Only five minutes walk to metro station to take you into Dubai centre. Try the metro it is quick, easy, safe and so clean. It is cheap too. Get VIP tickets which are slightly more but you ride in the gold ticket train which sometimes is at the front like your the driver, more fun.
Also when in Dubai, go on the Bus tour which is a hop on and off tour but takes you around everywhere, 24 hour ticket for Adult is 220AED. 48hour is 295AED free boat ride too. I found the blue route best. If you want to visit the Burj Khalifa or afternoon tea in the Burj Al Arab i would book your tours before you go as we couldnt do some tours etc as they were all booked up as we only had 3 days stay and these tours get pre booked and you could miss out onthem. We had lunch in the Burj Al Arab, fantastic but £103 per person! Good though, Enjoy x

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank lindapaws

Dear "lindapaws",

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Dubai Deira and for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.com.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the newly renovated rooms as well as the pool experience helped you to make your stay memorable.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed for two days in Jan'13. As I just moved in from a different hotel , I could see what a difference it was when it came to customer service.
My spouse and me checked in and went out for sight seeing. When we walked in late night and walked into the lift , we were stopped by an African front staff and asked us to report to the lobby without even checking whether we were guests or not. He wasn't even apologetic on realizing later that he made a mistake. This was just one of the service highlighted.
My spouse tried the spa which was good.
The rooms are well maintained but there was a musty smell when the bathroom got wet. Rooms don't offer any view as the hotel is located bang next to the road .
One can go to Deira city centre for shopping and eat some good food.
Anyway just wanted to leave the hotel at the earliest so just stayed here to sleep.
Shared the feedback with the lady duty manager .Hope the staff does something about customer service at the earliest coz they could end up losing many customers like us.

Room Tip: Nothing in particular
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank rajinitp
DXBCPManagement, Manager at Crowne Plaza Dubai-Deira, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear "rajinitp",

I am very sorry about the incident involving our security guard in the evening. We had seen in an increase of non resident visitors to the hotel lately and hence had tightened up the security procedures in the hotel. Please let me apologize sincerely for the overreaction and lack of empathy of my colleague towards you.

We have taken your feedback very seriously to ensure a re-occurrence will not happen again. I have furthermore taken the liberty and have contacted you directly.

I hope this incident will not defer you from coming back to stay with us.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was looking forward to staying in this Hotel for many months and I actually had booked Intercontinental then cancelled then booked Crowne Plaza Festival but decided on Deira because of reviews.

I just wish that I would have had an honest review and would have probably stayed elsewhere.
I am a platinum member and was greeted as one when I checked in, I was upgraded to a Club room and was given Club Room extra’s like free breakfast in Spice Restaurant which was fantastic in fact I stayed 3 days at The Qasr Hotel Jumeriah at Madinat and it was on a par with this 5* Hotel. We got free beer/wine and canapés from 6:30 until 8:30. Don’t be late we arrived at 8:25 and were told we have been here since 6:30 so make sure that tomorrow you are in early.
Room
Hotel room was very pleasant only complaint was that our room was next to the housemaid’s closet and they banged their door every morning when going in and out from about 8am. Also room was very cold even though we put the thermostat up to 30! Great toilet and shower.

View
From our room you had a view of roof tops with washing and you could see planes land, but you are not there to sit in your room and look out the window.
Swimming deck
This was really relaxing every morning we were shown to our beds and towels were put on for us, toilet and gym facilities were very good with steam and sauna rooms. They also have a table tennis table that we used as well.
Location
We walked to the Metro every day and were only a 10 min walk which was very safe and was never a problem. Takes about 40 min to Emirates Mall and you need to change once but is easy to navigate. Dubai Mall is closer and takes about 20 min. If you want to buy fake bags etc. the Al Karama is only a few stops away.
Staff
Every member we dealt with was very polite, the lady at the Spice reception at Breakfast was great she took us to our table and remembered that I was Tea and my wife was Coffee. I ordered an Omelette every morning and it was brought to my table.
Bar
We went to the Tikka Bar every night in fact we actually spent quite a large amount of money in here, due to the cost of alcohol and the fact that we were back early most nights. Except for the Wednesday as it was closed because of Prophet Mohammed’s Birthday.
This is where we had our main Issues with this hotel. Every night we had about 5 females would come into the bar and sit separate with a beer and a straw, they would sit there all night until approached by male guests and some realised what they were and some disappeared with then. It was the same girls every night so you would have thought that the Hotel security would have realised what was going on, every guest that we spoke to noticed it on their first night. I am not a prude by any means but my wife felt really uneasy in fact I was banned from going to the Restrooms as she was frightened to be left alone in case she was approached by male guests.
WHAT A SHAME TO WASTE SUCH A GREAT HOTEL!
If I had been warned about these girls in the bar I would have stayed elsewhere!
When I checked out I asked for the hotel manager but he was on holiday so we were directed to the front desk manager who said she would pass our comments onto the manager, this was 5 days ago and still no follow up. It was clear to me that they knew this was going on but could not really do anything about it.

Room Tip: Not for couples or families.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wellwellsuperwell

Dear "wellwellsuperwell",

Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Dubai Deira.

We are very pleased about your comments regarding the service on arrival and in the Club Lounge. I am also pleased to read that you enjoyed our leisure facilities.

I am very sorry about the incident in the Tiki Bar. We have taken on your feedback very seriously and have ensured that our guests are not being disturbed anymore whilst enjoying a drink in the bar. Please be assured that the Crowne Plaza Hotel Dubai Deira does not actively promote or tolerate this kind of practice.

Please feel free to contact me directly on bruno.fischer@ihg.com in case you like to discuss the matter with me directly.

We really hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Recent stop over in Dubai on our way to South Africa.
Staff was very friendly and welcoming.
Stayed for 5 days, Club package special and was very satisfied, despite some minor construction in the hallway,painting the walls etc. it was not a problem.
Good location, nearest metro station just under 10 minutes walk from hotel-recommend purchasing a day pass.
Great buffet breakfast selection.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear "Mshjournies",

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Dubai Deira and for taking the time to write a review regarding you recent stay.

I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. In particular I am happy to read that our colleagues were very friendly and welcoming during your 5 day stay.

We would be delighted to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Its an average place to stay. when we checked in the morning...the ceiling outside the room was leaking and later the washroom's celing also started leaking. The management took some time to change the room....but they did this without any hassle. In fact to compensate this they upgraded the room type as well.
The breakfast spread is good and the staff is really polite and well mannered
Though this hotel is slightly away from the main city but its well connected via Metro. Hotel is very near to the airport...about 5 - 10 mins of drive only.

Overall a decent place. But if you get a hotel in the main city...nothing like that.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear "PBS1982",

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Tripadvisor.com.

Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the leak in your room. We have just finished the completion of the rooms renovation and I deeply regret that your room was not faultless.

We are happy to note that you enjoyed the proximity of the hotel to the airport as well as the breakfast offering.

I would be very pleased to welcome you back at another occasion.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The room was really nice, clean, newly furbished, in fact an excellent business travel accommodation. The buffet was good food and with a varied selection (try the wonderful Mongolian BBQ at least once), and the restaurant staff were friendly and helpful. In fact since I was travelling with my daughter who is just shy of 2 years old and it is fair to say that the staff at the hotel were delightful and attentive to her - I think she was given a balloon every night we dined there!
Couple of things prevented me from giving it 5 stars...on 2 occasions I returned to the hotel at 3pm to find the room had not been serviced despite using the "Please Service" button, however a quick call to reception meant it was immediately resolved. And the only other frustration was the hotel pool, a really nice place to spend some time, but the lifeguard watched me with my daughter like a hawk. She has been in swimming lessons with me since she was 5 weeks old, and we both are very confident together in the water, but we were stared at and followed without any break and this ultimately felt quite uncomfortable and unnecessary. These would be the opportunities for improvement. But these aside I would recommend this hotel to friends and business associates.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Deryn M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.com.

We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to delight you and your daughter during your last stay with us. We aim to provide a personalized service to our guests and I am happy to note that we were successful in doing so.

I am sorry to hear that the room was not serviced on time. Please be assured that your feedback was shared with our Executive Housekeeper. I would like to assure you that due to some very unfortunate children drowning incidents in our region the life guards are eager to ensure the utmost safety of our guests.

I hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back soon.