“Overall a good hotel in a good location - perfect for a stop over.”
Review of Crowne Plaza Dubai

Crowne Plaza Dubai
Ranked #142 of 550 Hotels in Dubai
Altrincham
“Overall a good hotel in a good location - perfect for a stop over.”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Classic Crowne Plaza feel to this hotel which is situated on the Sheikh Zayed Road. Be warned this is a very busy road but this just adds to the vibrancy of the place. The hotel has what you would expect from a city 5 star. My impression was that the staff are here to serve you and ensure your stay runs smoothly rather than just doing a job in a hotel. The room was large, equivalent to a suite in some European City hotels I've stayed in. The hotel interior is a little on the dark side, mainly because the culture seems to favour brown/dark colours probably to escape the brightness of the outside. If you are a member of the hotel group loyalty scheme you can enjoy a few perks. This depends, as always, on your loyalty level (I got free WiFi, fruit basket, newspaper and drink vouchers). There are a number of eating places within the hotel if you don't want, or haven't time, to venture out. We tried a frantic Italian and a tranquil Japanese on our 2 night stay both were perfectly adequate for our needs on this visit. The breakfast was about £20 per head and the choices were extensive and plentiful. However the breakfast area is perhaps not large enough for the size of hotel and is bounded by a busy corridor so appears like a crowded airport cafeteria - don't expect a peaceful time. Dubai has something for everyone from beach to city, adventure to culture. For me a couple of nights is about right. Dubai is a good consideration if you are heading further afield to Australasia. The hotel is located a short stroll from the Dubai Metro system making it very easy to get about.
We did have one gripe which wasn't really dealt with properly, by the hotel staff, involving noise from the room above. Apologies are simply not enough when you are trying to catch up on some sleep/rest necessary because of long haul flight timings.
Overall though a good hotel - but the management need to remember competition and choice is intense here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Crowne Plaza D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dubai, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear “Vic G”,
We would like to thank you for the detailed review of your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Dubai and for sharing it across here on Tripadvisor.
We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience you have encountered. Please be assured that your feedback will be communicated with the management and we will strive to improve our products and services by taking your comments into consideration.
In the mean time, we sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future so that we can provide you with a more complete experience.
Acting General Manager, Crowne Plaza Dubai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Doha, Ad Dawhah, Qatar
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

When I first staid at this hotel, some 15 years or so ago, I remember having quite pleasant experience.

Coming back again now, it is remarkable how nothing, seriously, nothing has changed. Absolutely same look, furniture, carpets. Wow!

Even the non-smoking floor has that "old hotel" smell, interior of the room is tired and worn out, so are the restaurants, so is the lobby.

There is nothing in particular that is very bad to be complained about, also there is nothing to praise. All one big "meh".

Stay there if you get a good price and your meetings are nearby. Otherwise, don't.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank MladenE
Crowne Plaza D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dubai, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear “MladenE”,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your stay at Crowne Plaza Dubai here on Tripadvisor.
We have recently completed some bedroom upgrade as we continue to improve our services and products. Trust that all our rooms are well-kept and clean with full amenities provided for our guests.
We strive to get better every time in order to provide our valuable guests such as you something to look forward to.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions, when the rates have been reasonable. It is opposite the World Trade Centre, so it is well positioned for anyone visiting trade shows, but that also means that it is in demand and sometimes the rates are downright silly.

It is a good quality hotel, a little 1990s in the rooms, but the staff are well trained, helpful and courteous. The rooms have wi-fi, which is essential to business travellers these days. I found it slow and a little erratic, but it was free to a higher-tier Priority Club member; I do feel, however, that too much is made of this 'benefit', as wi-fi costs an hotel nothing so it should be free to ALL guests. Some hotels are now latching on to the sense of this.

I found the coffee shop cramped, with very small tables and for breakfast a pretty high cost at Drms110 (22 euros) for a buffet. There are plenty of small coffee shops within 100 metres of the hotel. The location is handy for the Metro, which is infinitely cheaper than taxis and usually faster as traffic jams are common.

Best for eating at the hotel is the Harvester, the sports bar on the second floor, which has rather too much space for smokers and you tend to smell smoke on your clothes next day even if you sit in the non-smoking 'section'. Plenty of screens for different sports and a happy hour between 5.00 p.m. and 8.00 p.m. when a glass of wine drops from an excruciating Drms40 (8 euros) to 'only' 25, which is still 5 euros or £4. But the food is pretty good, pub-grub style, with plenty of choice and above all a 'pork menu' so you can get a full English breakfast including 'proper' bacon and pork sausages, and that's all day. The lasagne is also pretty good.

All in all, the hotel is a fair standard Crowne Plaza and despite a few misgivings, featured above, it will remain my No 1 choice for business trips - if the rate isn't too unreasonable

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter, away from Sheikh Zayed Road which is the main highway through the cit...
1 Thank Snookoafc1
Dear “Snookoafc1”,
Thank you for your continued support and for taking the time to share a recent review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Dubai here on Tripadvisor.
We would like to inform you that our complimentary wifi is available to all our guests.
We have noted all your comments about the restaurants and will be shared with the management and staff.
We welcome any constructive feedback as this enables us to address any flaws as we strive to continually enhance the service and experience we deliver.

We are delighted that despite some inconvenience, you still consider us your No1. Choice
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2014

One of my resolutions this year was to be positive in the reviews I write for my frequent travels.
Four days into the New Year, my first journey was to a familiar old favourite of Dubai.
In many ways it seems like a home coming. The familiarity of the airport on arrival, some greetings in Arabic, the politeness of the driver and hotel staff and the still evident superior attitude of the well to do, all brought memories flooding back.
All the senses are affected and the luxuriant scent of Arabic perfume in the lobby of the hotel was remarkable.
After an early morning long flight, the room was everything I hoped for, refreshingly cool on arrival, free wifi with no limit on the number of devices, clean room, a comfortable bed and very good Molton Brown bath toiletries.
I was just making a cup of tea and deciding to pen some words of praise, when it happened!
I heard some voices at the corridor and was surprised to hear the door being opened without so much as a knock.
I stopped the door from opening further and was approached by an apologetic female staff and supposedly another guest.
She explained to me the guest was retracing his steps looking for something missing and she was not aware that the room was already re-let. I told them to have a quick look but they declined.
A few minutes later, when we had just about recovered from the first intrusion, the door bell rang to reveal another staff member presenting a letter of welcome from the general manager.
A few minutes later, as we were enjoying the quiet of the room having decided that the first two intrusions were behind us, the telephone rang. The head concierge apologised profusely for the first intrusion.
A few minutes later, the doorbell rang.
My husband opened the door to reveal a beaming staff member bearing a large fruit bowl.
He seemed surprised by the reception he received which queried the frequency of the interruptions rather more than expressing gratitude for the fruit.
A few minutes later, we left the room to explore the city and we shall never know how many more welcoming visits we may have missed:)
The hotel has many good food outlets. We ate at the Al Dana Restaurant twice - seafood night last Tuesday was very good. Monday casual dinner was not so. The food portion at Wagamama restaurant was substantial and the food delicious but the staff was not so attentive. I watched a few guests waving their arms trying to get service even though the restaurant was not crowded. My food order was incorrectly served too. But was rectified immediately.
Hair dryer needs to be replaced. The old model stuck to the wall took an hour to dry my short hair. Styling my hair with it was impossible. Pillows and bedlinens were excellent though. Very good porter/concierge service. Security quite good too.
I checked out of the hotel 3 hours after my husband left for work. I was told by the receptionist when I surrendered my room key that her colleague had overlooked a 40Dhs charge my husband's company won't cover when my husband paid the account. Their explanation was the staff who served my husband when he paid the hotel bill earlier didn't know Chardonnay was an alcoholic beverage:)
My year 2014 resolution was severely tried.

1 Thank Kokranova
Crowne Plaza D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dubai, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear “Kokranova”,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with Crowne Plaza Dubai here on Tripadvisor.
We would like to thank you for choosing us as your base here in Dubai. We are glad that you enjoyed your room and its amenities.
We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience caused and rest assured that this is not the usual service Crowne Plaza Dubai have always been known for.
We have sent you a direct message to further get information regarding the incident and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Crowne Plaza Dubai.
Lisburn
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I visited the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai, during the Christmas and New Year period. We stayed for two nights and I have to say that the service was second to none and the accomodation lovely. As has been previously pointed out by other reviewers, the hotel is very central for many tourist attractions and therefore convenient for taxis and even the exceptionally clean Metro system (cheaper if you make a lot of journeys). As it was Christmas the hotel was beautifully decorated and the whole ambience was quite charming. There is no shortage of eateries either - we had evening meals in the Japanese restaurant and the Cuban restaurant with lunch in Harvesters Pub - all of which served an exceptionally high standard of food. But the other outlets were also tempting and if we return we'll certainly try something different. Special mention should be made of Maged (sorry about spelling!) who oversaw the breakfast arrangements in a calm and efficient manner. I'm sure it isn't easy to please everyone when some people can be very demanding. In fact, the staff at the Crowne Plaza were unfailingly polite and helpful during our stay and a real credit to the hotel. As it happens my husband realised that this hotel was the very one he had stayed in many years ago when he first visited Duibai on business. At the time the building was one of the tallest on the Sheikh Zayed Road but now it is dwarfed by the many and varied Sky Scrapers that surround it. Yet it has still got a lot of appeal and I'm sure that the hotel's reputaion will continue to attract the many visitors who come to enjoy Dubai's eclectic mix of cultures. We certainly look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tavak4
Dear “Tavak4”,
It is thrilling to read your wonderful and detailed review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Dubai. Thank you for taking the time to share it here on Tripadvisor.
We couldn’t add more with your feedback. Our management and staff will be delighted to hear it.
We hope we will have a chance to welcome you back in the near future.
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in crowne plaza hotel dubai with my friend it is a very good hotel specially its location in the middle of sheik zayed street and specially the view of world trade center
I really enjoyed the pool and gym i did work out there for three so if anyone want a gym its a good call
Other thing that there are plenty of restaurent near the hotel that you can choose
Last thing if u are a night person who want a club i do recommend the club in the hotel it is 100 derhams but if you are a residant then its for free :)

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Crowne Plaza D, Hotel Manager at Crowne Plaza Dubai, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear “Hisham A”,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Dubai here on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted that you and your friend had an enjoyable stay with us. We appreciate your feedback with the hotel’s location, pool and gym, variety of restaurants and Zinc Nightclub.
We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Foligno, Italy
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have been here quite few times and I have always enjoyed the stay. First of all is not too far from Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa, so very convenient if you plan to do some shopping or visit the taller tower in the World! There is a nice and quite swimming pool, good gym and spa.
If you happen to be in Dubai on Monday night and like to dance, on the ground floor there is a nice club called Zinc. Monday is the best night, plus if you are a hotel guest the entrance is free!
This last time I have been upgraded to a nice a quite Captain's Suite room #1122....see my pictures!

2 Thank Gianluca B
Crowne Plaza D, Hotel Manager at Crowne Plaza Dubai, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear “Gianluca B”,
Thank you for the photos and for taking the time to post it here with your review of your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Dubai.
Thank you for your comment about our “convenient” location as well as our pool and gym. As you have noted, Monday night is a manic night at Zinc Night club. We hope you will have a chance to also try our new Brazilian restaurant – Chamas on your next visit.
We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Manager, Crowne Plaza Dubai