“Great for a business trip, in the centre of of the city”
Review of Crowne Plaza Dubai

Crowne Plaza Dubai
Ranked #148 of 555 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is a nice hotel, plenty of restaurants and a night club also.
The rooms are a great size, clean and tidy but will soon need a refurb.
The staff are very attentive and really couldn't do enough for you.
If this had not been a business trip I would have preferred to have been closer to the beach, this area is so busy and its on an extremely busy road. But this is what central Dubai is like so is not a problem for the hotel.

Room Tip: The rear of the hotel away from the traffic is quieter
1  Thank johnc3720
Crowne Plaza D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear “johnc3720”,
Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Dubai and for taking the time to write a review of your stay here on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you had a great business trip.
We appreciate your feedback about our rooms and staff. As you have mentioned, we are centrally located and have a vast variety of restaurants to offer within the hotel. We also have a complimentary shuttle bus going to the Jumeirah Beach, Mall of the Emirates and Dubai International Airport. We are happy to inform you that we are currently undergoing several phases of renovation which includes bedroom upgrades.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and be able to try one of our newly refurbished rooms.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Dubai

Reviewed February 9, 2013

it is excellent for the short business trip. bit dated but good value for money and the choice of food in the hotel is great.
Breakfast was really good with lots to chose from.
The only complaint is about the lifts. I was on the 15th floor and the wait was up to 15 minutes for a lift to come, apart from that, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Crowne Plaza D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear “146Kevoh”,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Dubai here on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay. We hope you had a successful business trip.
We have noted your feedback about the lift and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We will share it with the management and staff.
We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at our hotel.

General Manager, Crowne Plaza DUbai

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Location: Very well located, easy to connect
Check-in / Check-out: The people are friendly, amicable, however totally disorganized and lacking focus on the person they are attending. Something the management should look into and provide guidance.
Room: Excellent, spacious, more than what you really need. Except.... the smell: horrible smell. supposedly my room was for non-smokers. Well, it smelled as an entire smokers meeting happened there at the living room. On top, the tiny bathroom smelled like ages of humidity were accumulated.
Bathroom: one toilet and one bathroom (somewhat small). As said, the bathroom smelled. The amenities are standard.
Cleanliness: Everything is spotless. Excellent.
Restaurants: There are several at the hotel. All good.
Service in general: As said, very friendly, just lacking some focus.

Room Tip: They are refurbishing the hotel. Ask for a room far from that area and, if you care about smelling...
2  Thank Daniel B
Crowne Plaza D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear “DBDu”,

Thank you for your feedback of your stay at Crowne Plaza Dubai and for taking the time to post it here on Tripadvisor.
We have noted your comments about our staff and we would like to hear more from you so we can fully understand your concerns and issues. We will be sending you a direct message so you can get back to us.
As you have mentioned, we are currently undergoing several phases of renovation which includes bedroom upgrades as we aim to improve our products and offers. We hope you will have the opportunity to stay in our newly refurbished rooms on your next visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel was clean and perfect for a one night business stay.

The bed was smaller than I am used to at other hotels I have been in , but it was comfortable.

It is a little more dated than I was expecting of my first trip to Dubai. the hotel is on a main road but was not noisy.

The breakfast was okay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MDSL

Dear “MDSL”,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Dubai here on Tripadvisor. We hope you had a successful business trip.
We are glad to inform you that our hotel is currently undergoing several phases of refurbishment which includes bedroom upgrades as we aim to continuously improve our products & offers. We hope you will have a chance to stay in one of our newly refurbished rooms in the near future.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I was hoping to get a little of the Dubai luxury glitz, but I got another stuffy old hotel. Not all is bad though. Let's highlight the good things first:

Good:
-Location. If you are going to the World Trade center, this is your hotel.
-The sheer variety of things to try at breakfast is great
-Staff is very helpful

Not so good:
-Stuffy, old decor.
-Breakfast, although good food, the room is overcrowded.
-Coffee at breakfast could be better
-Wifi was temperamental (on, off, on, off, etc)
-Aircon in the room was LOUD. I ended up switching it off (luckily in January you can still do that)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Crowne Plaza D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear “42Travelbug42”,
We are sorry to hear that you are a bit disappointed however we are happy to inform you that we are currently undergoing several phases of renovation which includes bedroom upgrades as we aim to continuously improve our products and offers.
Your comments will not go unnoticed and will be shared with the management and staff.
We welcome any constructive feedback as this enables us to address any flaws as we strive to continually enhance the service and experience we deliver.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Booked this hotel last minute and really glad I did. The rooms were comfortable, with a great view of the architecture of Dubai.

Check-in was seemless, and effiecient.

The rooms are a bit dated and worn, but clean and the hotel bedding is comfortable. The internet and wifi worked well.

Room Tip: Be sure and asked or reserve a club floor with a city view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Crowne Plaza D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear “mikeydc65”,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share a short but sweet review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Dubai here on Tripadvisor.
As you have pointed out, we are centrally located making our hotel ideal for business as well as for leisure. We are happy to inform you that we are currently undergoing several phases of renovation which includes bedroom upgrades.
Our management team and staff will be delighted to hear your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and to our newly renovated rooms at some point in not so distant future.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

As much as I’d like to give this hotel an excellent mark, I have to be perfectly honest in doing hotel reviews and I hope that management does not take my words the wrong way. Ok here it goes.
This was the first time I ever stayed in an IHG property and considering many great things I hear about Intercontinental and Crowne Plaza I was really expecting I was going to be in for a treat. I came here to stay for two nights and checking in was quick and simple minus the odd fact that when you enter the building and expect a reception lobby you are instead greeted by a pair of escalators. It gave the odd feeling that I made a mistake and entered a shopping centre instead of a 5-star hotel. The staff at the front desk were kind and accommodating especially Pat. While riding up the elevator and passing through the corridors the age of the hotel slowly started to reveal itself. Small elevators, incandescent lighting, brass fixtures and wooden paneling in some places didn’t really spell modern or upscale (maybe back in the early 90’s). The room I got was a suite but when I entered it sort of left me disappointed, something short of “this’ll do” kind of expression. It was nice and well made with enough space but a marble desk? Really?! Bedside tables with knobs and switches that would’ve probably impressed me 20 years ago. The only thing that brought me back to this day and age was the flatscreen TV. Wires and cables from the lamps and telephone ran across the back of the table to their respective sockets hoping not to be seen. Not a deal breaker but not stellar either. The bathroom had a tub in it which would’ve been amazing if came with a view or something to make it more appealing rather than the cold damp tiled walls. The fruit platter and the bath amenities were probably the best things I liked about the room and the unique sleep aid kit they provided which was unique and so original that I liked it so much I brought it back home with me. Breakfast at the main restaurant called Al Dana was an additional 100 AED which I thought was overpriced considering they only offered boxed Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes for cereal. Went in and since nobody bothered to show me to a seat I just picked any table. Browsed through the buffet looking for Muesli which I thought it shouldn’t be too hard since this is a 5 star hotel and it’s usually available in all the hotels I’ve stayed in. I don’t think I’m a hard guy to please when it comes to breakfast. Muesli/granola, some yogurt, fresh fruits, and coffee and I’m good to go. Apparently not in this restaurant. Went back to my table with toast and jam instead. I wanted to have scrambled eggs but the chef at the egg counter dismissively said that there’s already some cooked in front of me and nonchalantly sneaked a peek at his cellphone in his pocket obviously more concerned if he had any messages. He didn’t even know if the scrambled eggs in front of him had salmon in it. Had to call a dining staff passing by to check it for him. I can’t believe how absolutely ridiculous that experience was. When I got back to my table I had to catch the attention of a F&B staff standing in one corner if I could bother him with a cup of coffee. This had to be the WORST breakfast meal I have ever had in a hotel. I was ready to go to speak to the manager but I didn’t want to be the guy red-flagged on the guest list of the hotel. After that unsavory breakfast I just wanted my hundred dirhams back.
Lunch was at their Japanese-themed outlet called ‘Sakura’ and the food was varied and equally delicious. Not minding the black and pink theme they had going on the restaurant during lunch was so quiet especially when there’s only two guests dining in there. A public library probably felt more alive. Mind I suggest a Japanese-style bamboo fountain just to break the silence? All that black lacquer and small circular windows made the room smaller than it ought to be. Bigger windows would bring in more natural light and probably lessen the claustrophobia. The staff though were engaging and attentive even the Pakistani chef behind the sushi counter who only spoke a word or two. Lunch was ok but I just wished I booked for dinner instead since I heard the place more alive at night. I really wanted to sit at the Teppanyaki table and watch my dinner fly around. Nevertheless, I loved the food they served that I went back for their Christmas buffet for a sushi overload. I never had so much sushi that I didn’t even have a main course. Wow! On to the rest of the hotel, the swimming pool design like the hotel seemed to be stuck in the past and it was probably only big enough to accommodate 20 people max so it was crowded most of the time. The gym was large and impressive with all new equipments surely not to disappoint your weekend warrior. Went to Zinc for drinks and music one night and after a fresh spectacular experience from Embassy, Tora Tora, and Buddha Bar, this place was a definite disappointment. After a few beers to numb the 30 minutes of painful dance music they were playing I had to leave before the effect of the alcohol wore out. The Filipino guys at the entrance of the bar were cool though and rarely get credit for anything so here’s to them for keeping Zinc clap-free.
Overall, my first experience at a Crowne Plaza was disappointing and left much to be desired. I really wished it wasn’t because it was recommended by people I know personally and made adjustments with my schedule due to my short time in Dubai just to stay at this hotel. I’m sorry James but this place is long due for an upgrade… start with that chef at the egg station. Go easy on the poor fella. I hear there’s an opening in McDonald’s down the road.

Room Tip: The good rooms are in CP festival city.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank drmcflurry

Dear “drmcflurry”,
Thank you for your review.
We are surprised that we did not hear from you while you were staying in the hotel considering your connection with us. These issues should never have occurred and if we had known we would have gladly welcomed the opportunity to resolve them during your stay.
The hotel is currently undergoing several phases of renovation which includes bedroom upgrades. We do hope you will have the opportunity to return and enjoy our renovated rooms and our 5 star facilities.
It is unfortunate you marked us poor on first impressions without talking to us.

We hope to be of service to you again in the not so distant future.