“Great location and view, yummy food, mediocre service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Urbano - CLOSED

Urbano
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown Dubai
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Great location and view, yummy food, mediocre service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have been to Urbano three times now over the past six months. We have always sat outside and enjoyed the views of the fountains. This last time we were placed in an outdoor area where our view was obscured by multiple tall pillars, but that was all that was available (even though we had to wait for a bit to get that table). The meals have consistently been good, although the appetizers have been just ok. The prices are commensurate with the location and view. The only area where I really fault Urbano is in its service. There is no warmth or friendliness to the staff. Our first time, we had a 7 pm reservation. We arrived at 6:50 and went to the hostess. She snapped quite rudely to us that we were early and needed to leave and come back at 7:00. This last time, not one server smiled the whole time we were there. It was all business. Get us seated, take our order, bring our food, and get us out quickly to turn over the table. No warmth whatsoever.

1 Thank AmericanExpat1972
Jumeirah Restau... M, Manager at Urbano, responded to this review, November 26, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with the team.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the dinner at Urbano, and your comment on our signatures dishes and attentive service provided is greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

• Arabic first
Dubai
“Nice Italian restaurant with Dubai Fountain views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Urbano is an Italian restaurant located in the Souk Al Bahar with a terrace overlooking the Fountains (best and most touristic place in Dubai).

I went with some friends quite late after having drink some wine glasses.

The framework is quite simple, wooden table and some chairs. The menu offers a selection of Italian dishes such as antipasti, salads, pasta dishes or pizzas. Also some meat or fish are available.

We were not so hungry so we choose to order some dishes to share

Our choice fell on:
- Selection of antipasti (Buffala Mozzarella, Beef Chorizo​​, Beef Bresola, sundries tomatoes)
- Basket of Focaccia with olive oil
- Chicken Salad cesar
- Pizza Margaritha Grande
- 1l Acqua Panna

The antipasti were nice presented on a tray. Special mention for the hot beef chorizo​​, excellent. The basket of focaccia also a good idea with this mix olive oil and vinegar. Chicken cesar salad was ok but not great and the pizza was good with thin paste.

The service is fast but lacks smile and kindness.

In the end, you pay for the situation but the food is correct but not great

Total price of the meal (AED 168)

1 Thank Lugano22
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Classic Italian with 5 star service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Urbano offers the perfect location at the Dubai fountains where food and service is a priority. Extensive menu with something for everyone. Servers are well trained and offers a perfect night out with a menu to compliment the experience. You can see this is a well management restaurant where a lot of time and effort has gone into training the team to provide a fantastic night out. It is obvious that the management looks at their operation from a guest perspective. Cannot wait for them to spread their wings across Dubai and the rest of the Gulf.

Glasgow
“Great food & views!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I have been to the restaurant a couple of times and I cannot fault it at all. The staff are all very pleasant and the food is very tasty. On my 1st visit I sat outside with a front row seat to the Dubai fountains, which was great. The second time I sat inside as outside was full. This did not spoil my experience as there is a great atmosphere inside also.

Visited April 2013

Ajman, United Arab Emirates
“4 chances, 3 fails.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

As residents of the UAE we are frequent visitors to Dubai Mall and have visited this establishment 4 times in total since 2011. The location is fantastic and is the best place to view the dancing fountains from if you book a table outside which is why we have given it four chances...but never again. As many people do we use the entertainer discount vouchers which I would recommend to anybody visiting or moving to the Middle East and in 4 Years this is the only establishment where there has been a problem. In 2011 we had a lovely meal which was ruined by the attitude of the Head Waiter when we queried the bill. He lost his temper very quickly and actually barred us from the restaurant. Luckily the duty manager came out and apologized, smoothed things down and even promised us a free lunch on our next visit as compensation (we didn't take him up on it). Our next visit in August 2012 was delightful and we had a lovely time although we noticed that the quality of the food had gone down (the prices are reasonable for the location to be fair). We took friends the following November and the food was very borderline (over salted pasta, school dinner lasagne etc) and the bill was wrong but we didn't moan because(before anybody says anything) we are not moaners. Last night we gave it another chance as our daughter was visiting from Ireland. After booking a table for 6:30 ("We will hold for 15 mins only") we finally got our table at 6:50. As usual the fountain show was fantastic but the food was again mediocre at best and the service friendly but amateurish. After leaving with my boys to go shopping my wife stayed to watch the show and pay the bill all hell broke out. Again there was a disagreement over the bill but this time the South African manager was extremely abusive to my wife in front of my daughters, called security and created a general scene in front of the other diners. As he refused to change the bill my wife couldn't pay by card and so he and the security guard escorted her to the cash point to draw the money. My daughter heard him boasting to the guard that he would make her pay. She paid what she owed and he claimed that he would have to pay the difference out of his own pocket (highly unlikely). My wife and daughters were shaking when they met up with us but stopped me from returning to the restaurant as I have just had surgery and would probably burst my stitches. Apart from this we had a lovely time at the mall and next time will probably view the fountains from one of the chain restaurants where the staff are trained and the food quality will be better.

4 Thank jezyouell