“A Turkish five star but a Dubai three star”

Rixos The Palm Dubai
Ranked #28 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed July 27, 2012

If you haven't been to Dubai before, you won't be disappointed, but if you're used to real five star service, you'll be disappointed. Here's the email that I sent to Guest Relations with my feedback:

llowing my call to guest relations a few moments ago, I wanted to share some complaints about your service so you can act on them now and also ensure future guests can benefit from better service.

When we arrived yesterday, we were initially encouraged and it was nice to be escorted to our room.

At the pool is was good to be asked by guest relations if we had any requests. I did - I asked if any of the TV channels would be showing the Olympics and Ali told me he'd call my room to let me know. Unfortunately, Ali failed to call me back which was poor considering he works in Guest Relations so should be setting the example.

At lunch time, service was OK in the all day dining restaurant although the food was generally not kept not on the buffet and the chefs were just stood around looking bored with their arms folded.

At dinner in the steak house, it was 25 minutes from being seated before a menu was given to us and even after we had ordered food, we still hadn't been asked if we wanted drinks. I received the wrong starter. After the main course, we we so bored of waiting that we chose to leave before dessert was offered.

After dinner, we went to reception to see if a late check out would be available, but was told that although it is quiet, we would only be able to extend until 1pm otherwise be charged for a further half day. This seems crazy given the resort is quiet and we had told the receptionist that we were bringing guests to visit us at 6pm this evening to have drinks. We're already giving you extra income!

At breakfast this morning, we ordered peppermint tea to drink but by the time we were ready to leave, it hasn't arrived.

It really feels like staff haven't been trained well and don't communicate with each other. I also have to say that the pricing of drinks and snacks has been the most I've ever paid in a hotel. I live in the Ritz Carlton DIFC and even their beverages are much cheaper. To pay AED 25 for a bottle of local water that retails at AED 2, or a coke for AED 20 that is AED 1.5 or a Magnum ice cream for AED 25 that costs AED 6 is just crazy. It feels poor when the standards of the hotel are far from five star. The rooms and facilities are more like four star with service being two to three star.

Please let you let me know your thoughts?

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank MarcusWillTravel
Ozgur C, Manager at Rixos The Palm Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear Mr. Bailey,

Thank you for your time today on the phone and apologies once again for the inconvenience that we may have caused. Our guest relations team is instructed to get back to guests in writing when they could not reach them by phone.

As mentioned on the phone we look forward to welcoming you back again at Rixos The Palm Dubai and thank you for your constructive feedback.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (3,158)

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed with package deal for 1 night only and thank god it was only 1 night with discounted price! Otherwise I would be really upset!
I went there with my husband and my friend couple. Check in staff(Chinese Girl) was very helpful for early check in and room was spacious with a great view, Burj Al Arab! So first impression was really great!
We had a lunch at Turkish restaurant and a food was quite tasty! However, service was super slow and staff was very unattentive so whold time we have to serve ourselves water, wine and etc. They took an order for fresh orange juice and came back with apple juice saying there's no orange! At 5-star hotel!!

Later at pool, we ordered fresh mango juice and it was from a tin, not fresh at all. We asked a server if it's fresh and he couldn't answer.
Pool is quite spacious but smelled very strong chemical and water was couldy not clear!
So stayed there only 10 mins.
One thing I liked about beach is that there's all sorts of beds there! It was fun to try all of those.

We had dinner at steak house. Steak was quite nice but really tiny protion and wine was over priced. And again service was really slow....

As I've worked in airline industry for a decade, I've tried many different hotels all around world.
Rixos breakfast buffet was one of bad ones unfortunately. There're lots of nice bread choices and that's all! And no orange juice available again :)

And it was my first time to get a phone call from 5 star hotel reception saying check out is 1 hour after. We still had 1 hour left till check out and were getting ready for it. It wasn't good feeling being chased by hotel staff
Overall, I don't think I'll go back there again. I'm glad I've tried with discounted deal otherwise I would be quite upset....

1  Thank jumeirahJung
Ozgur C, Manager at Rixos The Palm Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We are sorry for the inconvenience that we may have caused regarding the fruit juice. I addressed the matters with our Director of Food and Beverage for better service to our guests in terms of speed and coverage. Please be informed that in all hotels guests are called on departure date to have information about the departure time, to have the chance to arrange luggage assistance or transportation arrangement as well. As you may also understand rooms are cleaned and prepared for new guests everyday on a commited time basis. I see that the call has upset you but the purpose of the call is purely to have information on departure time and nobody asked you to leave the room before check out time.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments and for giving us the opportunity to improve futher. We hope to have you staying with us very soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We have just returned back from a 2 week holiday at the Rixos. We had the best holiday we have experienced in dubai. The hotel staff are professional, very helpful and were always very approachable. The only issue we had was with the room. As this is a new hotel there are a few maintenance issues, however when this was raised to the hotel, the staff would immediately solve the problem. The other negative was the SPA - the facility and the staff where excellent, even the treatments are goods - but the issue we had whilst we where there was the lights in both the sauna and steam room did not work, so could not use them.

We were told that there was a delay in fixing this due to external contractors - and they could not get their internal maintenance team to sort out, besides this our holiday experience was fabulous to a point where we have decided to go back next year.

The food and the staff in the A La Turca restaurant were excellent. They were friendly and always obliging with any special requests we made. The variety of food was excellent and we were treated to sizzling steaks! The pool area was great, location excellent - yep the distance from the start of the palm to the hotel is long, but well worth the travel. We hired a car so this was not a problem.
My 5 year old son loved going to the Rixy Club, again the staff were great, made him very happy and they have all sorts of activity to keep the youngsters occupied which meant the parents and older kids had their own time. The Gym facilities where also great.

We would like to thank everyone at the hotel for a great holiday, especially naming Baris Metin (Guest Relation) who was a very pleasant, helpful and good natured person. Cenk, Bircan, Servis, Aziz, Mutlu, Anna, Lisa, Dennis, Karez, Renen, Murad, Adugna, Vashaik and Iris (and apologies for anyone we may have missed) who all looked after our family and made our holiday special.

We would definately recommend this hotel.
Rixos - see you all next year.

Room Tip: The rooms are of high standard. They do have some minor issues, but are very quick to sort them out...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank nazirismail
Ozgur C, Manager at Rixos The Palm Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear mr. Nazir Ismail,

Thank you for your kind words, we are pleased to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments will be shared with the entire team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back at Rixos The Palm Dubai.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Went here on a package deal, wanting to check out the Palm.
After having been I can think of no reason to go to this hotel. If you really want to stay on the Palm I can't imagine the other hotels are as bad.
Bed was rock hard as other reviewer suggested, toilet wouldn't stop running water.
The food was well below average, had the buffet for dinner and breakfast, and the presentation was terrible as was the selection and flavour compared to other 4-5 star hotels was just not up to standard.
Staff seemed to be trying to rush you out the door, we were called multiple time between 10-11am to remind us that checkout was at noon. Also the pool closes at sundown? Its too hot to swim during the day and its crazy its not open later.
This hotel while it looks ok, has the feel of a 3-4 star hotel in a 3rd rate city that has no other choice, unfortunately in Dubai there are countless other places you could go, and i recommend you do.
Also, not their fault but the drive is terrible with endless speedbumps, and it makes popping into the city annoying, which is made worse by the fact that the hotel doesn't give you the amenity of a retreat.

6  Thank JamesJoyce_AD

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sad to hear that your stay was not up to your expectation. Your comments about bed and the buffet variety and taste is very subjective however I adressed the matters with all the concerned. On another note please be informed that 92% of the guests who booked through the same channel agreed that it was good value for money and happy with their stay.
Pool closing by sunset is a common practice in most if not all UAE hotels due to safety reasons. Guests are called on the check out date to ask about their departure time and/or in case extension is required as in all hotels.

We will be happy to welcome you back again and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed at Rixos and had a wonderful stay. Quality of service is like no other hotel in Dubai. You can see and feel that staff are trained and well prepared to help guests. From check in to check out it was a unique and incredible experience.
Amazing location, great beach and the restaurants are just wonderful. Food is out of this world.
Staff had always a smile in their faces is what made my stay THE BEST in UAE. Well done Rixos team.

1  Thank Alexatlantic
RixosThePalm D, General Manager at Rixos The Palm Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor Member,

We would like to thank you very much for taking your valuable time in sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear that you have had a pleasant stay with us. The comments you have pointed out, have already been shared with the team, in order to be evaluated.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Best Regards,

Mouhamad Hadla
Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Well, I booked this hotel since 5 months ago with cheap and great price.
I staid for 6 days in this hotel and I got excellent time & wonderful experience.
I've checked in around 6:30 pm. I've got a warm welcome with sweets, drinks & hot towel.
The check in was fast and my room was ready.
The room was big and suspicious. I liked the Turkish furniture.
The service was great. I was happy with every single moment during my stay.
The food was delicious and the staff always smile to you which makes you feel good.
The location is a bit far. it is on the end of the crescent in palm island. I went there by my car and it took me 15 minutes from the beginning of the palm to the resort.
The resort is around 45-50 minutes from the airport and 30-35 minutes to the downtown. For me, It was not a problem at all except the road itself. It was bumpy due to the concrete block they are using instead of asphalt.
I would've preferred if there were information tags on the breakfast plates especially on cheese plates and meat plates.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay there and I think I will go to them again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. As a top contributor it gives us great pleasure to see that you have thoroghly enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed there for a week, and I had only positive emotions about the overall space of hotel, service and food! The beach is awesome, but it's also nice to stay at the pool! All food in A la Turca restaurant was delicious! Everyone of the staff is trying to make your stay there relaxing! The rooms are of great design and always clean!!! Had wonderful time there!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ksenia V

Dear Tripadvisor Member,

We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Best Regards,