“Terrible customer sevice, lovely hotel”

Millennium Plaza Hotel Dubai
Ranked #110 of 555 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed June 24, 2013

For some reason it is cheaper to book your room at the desk each day rather than on their internet booking site. When I realized this and tried to cancel at the desk Saving more than 200AED Per night I was told I could not "please try do it online". When it failed to cancel online it began a long chain of emails and cc's to me and from the Hotel staff. Finally it was agreed that my final night stay could be canceled and reissued at the desk, when I went to do this the desk clerk again tried to charge me the higher rate. Seems communication at employee level is lacking.

You will pay excessive amounts for use of WIFI and access to morning breakfast, approx 200AED per day, when asked if I can pay for this in advance as part of the room, I was told it would be 300 per day. Seems a bit excessive and odd!

If you must stay here, and the hotel is nice to be fair don't expect friendly helpful and or creative admin staff, they are like robots who care nothing for customer service, they just follow the rules.

If you must stay and run into problems, ask for the manager to get involved it seems to be the only way they offer creative solutions to small issues. Mind you even then you may have issues due to poor communication.

Shame!

1  Thank Paul_Wawa
MuinS, General Manager at Millennium Plaza Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Mr. Paul,

Many thanks for your comments and I am glad to learn that you are very much impressed with the Hotel.

I have read your email conversation with the reservations and front desk team to cancel your online booking. But unfortunately Hotel cannot take decisions and booking login and confirmations are always with guest. Every hotel globally applies the same policy and online agents too. We always have attractive offers when you book directly through Hotel.

Your comments on complementary internet was also noted and certainly AED 300 are the rate difference charges of Superior room to Club superior room which gives you complementary benefits(breakfast, internet, pressing, lounge access, transportation, massage, early check-in and late check-out) Although your room was upgraded to the premium room.

I completely understand you concern. I would like to thank you & your colleagues' support and looking forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for Millennium Plaza Hotel Dubai

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Booked by my company so no say in which hotel to stay in. I had read other reviews about this hotel and was a bit concerned about some poor reviews. However, the place is lovely. The staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms are huge with a nice lounge area and enormous bed. I found the pillows not that comfortable but the actual bed was great. The Metro restaurant was more like a cafe but again staff friendly. The choice of food was not great but what was there was fine. The new Al Mashrabia Arabic restaurant was really good. The decor simple but stylish - the food excellent and again the service was good. There is a rooftop infinity pool with amazing views and a spa which unfortunately I did not haveTry and ge time to use.The location of the hotel is great with easy access to the metro and the Dubai Shopping Mall (which is huge) is only a 5 minutes taxi ride away,. The only slight downside for some would be that the hotel is dry and doesn't sell alcohol. I would suggest that you buy any alcohol that you need for your stay at the Duty free at the airport.

Room Tip: ITry and get a room with a sea view instead of a view over the main highway.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
MuinS, General Manager at Millennium Plaza Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Ms Kathryn L,

Ramadan Kareem!

Thank you very much for your positive comments and I am glad to know that you have enjoyed our hotel's facilities and services. Moreover your appreciation to my colleagues matters most and this is our main goal.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

The check in was smooth after I had trouble finding the hotel and drive around twice as it is almost blocked from view by the emirates tower metro station. The staff were friendly and the bell boy who took my luggage to the room was extremely friendly and attentive ensuring he explained all features of the hotel and the amenities in the room. The un friendliness started the next day. I had to be in a meeting at 6:00 AM and handed over my valet ticket at 5:30 AM and was told it had to be stamped but the previous day I had been in and out of the hotel at least 4-5 times and the valet did not even once ask for the stamp. I showed my room key card and that I was a guest in the hotel but was told that is not important - they needed me to bring it stamped. This was crazy. I returned from the meeting and met my colleagues who were all in the same hotel - and preparing to go up from the rear lobby to the restaurant for breakfast and were calling the room of the fifth person on the house telephone when one of the guys in a suit with a hotel name tag walks up and says you cannot have a meeting here. I showed my key card saying I am staying in the hotel. He walks away and then returns as we were getting into the lift and very pompously says that any local guests have to register in the front lobby by showing ID without even bothering to ask whether all of us were guests or not. When informed him that all were guests staying in the hotel and his reply was he just came to duty and could not recognize us as 'guests' of the hotel since he is normally able to recognize all 'guests' staying in the hotel. May be the expectation was for all of us to hang the key card around our necks with the room number on it - I realized as all of us were Asian - Indian, Arabic and Filipino - and some were in casual cloths maybe in his mind we were not fit to stay in his hotel. His attitude and demeanor was down right insulting and if I were not in a hurry would have given him the dressing down he so deserves. During breakfast one of my local colleagues joined us and I informed the host to bill to my room and within few minutes mid way in to the breakfast as I eating I am presented with the bill to sign - basic courtesy would have been to wait for us to finish our meal. The restaurant was completely empty except for us and I don't think there was any danger he will miss us once we finish.

The room is good but there was no iron or pressing board which is what I have come to expect in all business hotels as there is usually need for a quick press to clear the wrinkles due to packing and which has been available in every hotel I had stayed. The room view is amazing - break fast was OK, room size is on the smaller side but expected in all newer hotels in Dubai. The toilet is three parts with main part with bath tub and basin, separate shower stall with door and separate toilet with a door accessible from the bath tub area.

Room Tip: Request for the higher floors above 56 and insist with view of Sheik Zayed Road towards Abu Dhabi...
1  Thank Indkan

Dear Mr. Sudershan Kannan,

I would like to thank you very much for updating me with your comments. I have spoken to my colleagues in person and feel sad about the approach. We are re-launching Outstanding Service Experience training which will certainly develop some of my colleagues.

We are working very close with you as our business partners and we always make sure all our corporate guest are looked after efficiently.

I would like to discuss your concern further. Kindly contact me directly at muin.serhan@mill-plazadubai.com for your any further request.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed there for 4 nights. The room on the 52th floor was very big, with a huge living area and a big bath with both, shower and bathtube. Also the vuew was amazing.
People are very hostly and carefull.
Breackfast is rich with continental and arabic foods.
It is very well located in the financial centre and a tube station is located just in frotn of the main entrance. It is also close to the airport and to the Dubai Mall (the largest hopping centre of the world).
Also the outside pool in the rooftop of the parking bulding is nice with an amazing view over the ocean.
Recomended but please review the bill before paying.

Dear Ms Kathryn,

Many thanks for taking time and updating me with your comments.

I am extremely happy to know that you had a comfortable great time in the Hotel. I assure you once again that we are working tirelessly to constantly improve our levels of service and we can only do it with the guest comments and your positive comments make our day. As a result I am happy to share with you that we won “Best Business/Corporate Hotel MENA 2013” last month.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

The hotel is located in a very good place (almost adjacent to Metro station), hence facilitating the from / to commutation. Hence it is excellent for both family as well as business trips. The hotel is comfortable and clean with good internet connection. The breakfast is good, and the hotel staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
MuinS, General Manager at Millennium Plaza Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Mr. Sohrabpour,

Many thanks for your positive comments.

I always appreciate your and your company’s usual support and as a result I am happy to share with you that we won “Best Business/Corporate Hotel MENA 2013” month.

We all look forward to welcome you back at Millennium Plaza Hotel Dubai soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel claims a 5 star but in reality it is a 4 star.
Good location right by the Jumeirah Towers Metro station on Shiekh Zayad Highway.
Good size room with King size bed and large bathroom. Quiet room even though overlooking the highway.
Breakfast is okay but be aware that this hotel does not have any pork products. It also has no alcoholic drinks.
Some staff have very limited English which can make communication a little difficult.
The hotel charges for internet access when in this day and age this should be included in the room rate.
The lack of dining facility is not much of a problem. You ahve the Crown Plaza next door with a good selection of restaurants and there is a good Iranian restaurant nearby called Sadak.
Phoning the front desk late in the evening can be an issue. I tried twice and never had the phone answered!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
MuinS, General Manager at Millennium Plaza Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for your comments and support.

Delighted to read that my hotel location exceeded your expectations and catered your all needs. Your comments on hotel facilities is also noted and I will address the same with my colleagues to come up with appropriate action.

Once again thanks you very much for your support and looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with my parents and everything went okay until we checked-out.

We paid the hotel bill using a Singapore-issued credit card (CC) and were expecting to be billed in AED. In this case, the credit card company will take care of the foreign exchange transactions, i.e. the CC company will pay the hotel in AED and we will pay the CC company in SGD. Instead, the hotel took it upon themselves to bill us in our home currency SGD (converting the bill using a horrible rate of 1 SGD = 2.78 AED vs the prevailing market rate of 1SGD = 2.90) and charging a 4.2% foreign exchange fee.

This is called Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) where the CC holder pays the merchant using the local currency under rates set by the merchant itself. Wikipedia has a great explanation on DCC and anyone using a foreign-issued CC should be aware of this. Rates set by merchants are typically worse that CC company rates and it is a way for merchants to benefit from foreign exchange transactions at the expense of the CC holder. The correct practice for a merchant using DCC is to inform the CC holder that he has an option to choose between paying in the local currency (where DCC is used) and his own home currency (the usual way); however, not only were we not informed of this option, the receptionist checking us out told us that this is the norm in Dubai, and this was the only way we could be billed. Either the receptionist is not knowledgable about foreign credit card payments, or the hotel is out to make a quick buck from its customers via DCC. If it is the latter, then this is very unbefitting of a 5-star hotel. Either way, the default seems to be to use DCC so please be aware that you have a choice and it makes sense to insist on paying in your home currency since the rates are much better.

Also, it took us a whole 30 mins to get checked out and we were the first in line. There was a long line of hotel guests waiting to be checked-out and many of them seem to be getting impatient. If you decide to stay in this hotel, and are catching a flight, make sure you account for the long check-out times. I think the long check-out times can be attributed to a lousy check-out process and the inexperienced receptionists. The receptionist were not proficient with the credit card machines and were stumbling with all the check-out paperwork. Moreover, they lacked focus as they jumped from guest to guest and this makes no sense because it simply increases the average wait time for all guests.

Overall, the hotel was alright and even if my check-out process had gone smoothly, based on the rooms, amenities and breakfast it is definitely not a 5-star hotel. The only redeeming factor were the service stuff (especially the concierge) - really helpful and humble people as opposed to the receptionists who generally did not have good attitudes.

Tldr - hotel claims to be 5-star but does not look and behave like one

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bobohoho

Dear Mr. Ben,

Thank you very much for updating me with your comments.

The comments on DCC what you kindly mentioned is completely correct and I totally agree with you as We at Millennium Plaza Hotel Dubai would like to clarify that's DCC conversation rates are not set by the merchant but our Credit Card acquiring partners. I agree with you we should communicating the same to our guest in question for the accepting DCC, bt generally we assume that our guests are OK with this practice.

However we would like to add that entire amount was refunded and accepted cash payment.

While we value our entire guests feedback which helps us enhancing our services specially from a frequent traveler like your good self.

We have taken up this issue with our Credit Card providers and going forward we have introduced a new acceptance policy for DCC where both the amount will be printed on the receipt with DHRs or home currency and the guest will have to tick mark the currency he wishes to pay while signing the slip copy thus avoiding similar situation in future.

We value your comments and understanding we truly appreciate your support and looking forward to serving you soon;