“Deceptively delicious value”

Cuisines: Lebanese, Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Don't let the budget interior, flimsy outdoor seating, faded photos of dishes not served, or the ridiculously cheap price of a shawarma deter you - this is a truly authentic, simple restaurant serving high quality food at some of the most reasonable prices in Dubai.

We ate twice, lunchtime and dinner.

Lunchtime: We entered a quiet but cool restaurant and attempted discussing our order with the waiting staff. There was a limited understanding of English on their part (I'm not marking down for this, just stating), so we carefully selected houmous, arayas and a mixed grill (as shawarma and falafels are not served until after 4 - we were initially disappointed by this, but needn't have been). First houmous was served with copious round of light and tasty flatbread, followed by a fine selection of fresh salad veg. Tasty arayes (minced meat inside a flatbread) and succulent grilled meats ensured that by the end of lunch, we were thoroughly stuffed. They even encouraged us to take our leftovers! Considering we spent less than £15, between three, with drinks - it was great value. Please note: They do not serve Coca-Cola or soft drinks - our order of coke was lost in translation, which resulted in us trying a delicious fruit smoothie! which again, can be recommended. We vowed to return following this tentative first experience.

Dinner: We arrived around 9/10pm - and sat outside, as the breeze was just strong enough to do so. The restaurant was busy, and the ovens and burners glowing. Considerable passing trade was also stopping to pick up food directly from the front of the restaurant. We ordered chicken and falafel shawarmas, less than a pound each. They arrived promptly, were unwrapped and eaten quickly too. The chicken was truly excellent with soft, tasty marinated meat, garlic sauce and small crunchy vegetables. Again, flatbreads and a salad selection accompanied a side order of houmous. The falafel was also soft and tasty, albeit this did cause the schwarma to be a little 'mushy' - a minor criticism. Service was also unobtrusive but efficient and at this price it is a restaurant to be firmly recommended for excellent food on a budget.

If you want to experience something other than air conditioned, five star dining or western eateries, plus savour the local cuisine satiating hunger in this rapidly growing city, then head down for schwarma on an evening.

1  Thank SHCollins

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Al Mallah restaurant is on 2nd December Street in Dubai. We heard the area had the best value food in town so went to see what we could find for lunch. We stumbled across this restaurant and were apprehensive at first when we sat inside but once we got the food it was amazing. Fresh veg, hoummous, fallafel, halloumi, koftas, everything. The mixed grill was the best kebabs I've ever tasted. They don't sell their shawarmas until 4pm and it was lunch so we were a bit disappointed at first but once we tasted the quality of the food we were pleased. We were so pleased we went back there for dinner the next day and had the best shawarmas I've ever had! Much better than anywhere in London of course, I recommend Arayes it's similar to the indian 'keema naan' meat sandwiched in flatbread, cut like a pizza! If you want traditional food this is a must, the value for money was outstanding it was so cheap I would've been prepared to pay far more for the food I had. Very glad I discovered this and will certainly be returning and recommending.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Al Mallah, the street restaurant in Dubai on the 2nd December Rd., is probably the best place to eat traditional food. The service is exceptional and the wait staff is particularly friendly and helpful. Ahmed, one of the wait staff guided us through the traditional menu and ensured we had the best feel of Arab food. The quality and portions of Food was very nice. A must visit place while in Dubai.

1  Thank jaskirat1971
Reviewed April 19, 2013

During our stay we wanted to try some local cusine. This is really geniune place. They offer just several arabic a libenese meals. You get fresh well procesed food, service is fast. You can take your meal away or have a table on simple street garden with locals people. Al mallah is definitely better option ú worth than franchaise restaurant.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I dont wanna talk because the food still haunts me. The food was so yummy that if my pocket permitted I would have gone back to Dubai only for this. The most tasty food I could have had, I went there for dinner and their food was very tasty.

If you go to Dubai please do have food at this joint.