“5 star looks, 2 star service”
Review of Melia Dubai Hotel

Melia Dubai Hotel
Ranked #100 of 550 Hotels in Dubai
NYC
“5 star looks, 2 star service”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

If you are looking for a pretty hotel in the middle of nowhere – this is the hotel for you! If you are looking for a 5 star hotel with 2 star services, it’s for you too! But if you are looking for a REAL 5 star hotel – don’t stay here! I read the reviews about how loud the night club was and I simply ignored them – big mistake! I was on the 5th floor and my stay at the hotel turned into a nightmare! I flew to Dubai for a brief 2 night get away to relax, and it was all but that! The hotel was extremely quiet during the day and it was almost surreal to think that it could be as loud as it was between 2300-0300. I could hear every beat on the 5th floor. I called the front desk and they told me that there was nothing they could do but move me to a suite (Was there different construction there?!). I opted to stay where I was. I also asked at the front desk, as I left one of the mornings to the mall,if I could get cash from the front desk, as I was getting my hair done at the salon in the hotel (Which I know they claimed was ran independently) and I didn’t want to carry cash on me as I shopped and they said of course I could… Forgetting to let me know that there was a limit on the cash they would dispense. I got my hair done and walked down to the front desk to get cash and I was told the limit there was a limit on the cash they could give me. Too bad that limit only covered ¼ of the cost of the services. After an argument with the hotel front desk female manager I was able to get enough money to pay for the services (They only accepted cash at the salon) and I was charged a fee for the process (Which they neglected to inform me of in the morning). I then went up to my room to order food. I ordered from what said “24 hours” but then the room service manager told me that it was a typo and that they had been meaning to fix that. I found that odd as the hotel had been open for at least 5-6 months and if it was a typo, why wasn’t anything done about it before?! The hotel looked pretty, but as they say… Looks are deceiving, and they were! I travel often. I’m on my 3rd passport and this was my first and last time at this chain. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL. I travel to Dubai every few months and my next stay will be at a REAL 5 star hotel!

Room Tip: You can hear the club music blasting all over the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed at the Melia for 2 nights and were really impressed with the hotel. The room was huge, with a rain shower, huge bathtub and more amazing: the TVs were inside the two huge mirrors. The breakfast is very nice with good variety. The first night, we went for breakfast at around 9.00 but the room was full and we were told we'll have to wait about 20 minutes. We explained that we had booked a tour and that the guide will arrive in 30 minutes. We were immediately sent to the executive breakfast room without any fuss. Great service!

Only problem is the noise from the nightclub which can be heard a little from the room. Nothing dramatic though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Guest E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Dubai Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Lindrent,

First of all we would like to thank you for your good comments; it is a pleasure to receive such a good feedback from our guests. I hope you also enjoyed our amazing panoramic views of the Dubai cityscape from our executive breakfast lounge The Level!
Regarding the noise coming from the nightclub, I apologize for the inconvenient caused, we have opened an investigation in order to solve this matter as soon as possible.

Thank you ones again for your time, we hope to have you with us again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Be careful if you stay on the lower floors on a night when the nightclub is open - you won't be able to sleep becasue of the noise. I was in room 225, and could hear every word of every song sung in the nightclub from 11 pm to 3 am.

The good points first:

1. A nice hotel overall
2. Nice room
3. Good service in the spa

But entirely ruined by:

4. I went to bed at 10 pm. I had to be up at 4 am the following morning to get a connecting flight. The onward journey was going to be tiring, so getting a reasonably good sleep was really important. At 11 pm loud music started up. This wasn't just hearing the bass, this was hearing every word of every song. I called reception and was told that the music would continue until 3 am. The receptionist offered to speak to the general manager who, I was told, would ask for the volume to be turned down. i was on the 2nd floor and I can only imagine the nightclub was directly below my room. The receptionist explained that no other rooms were available. And that was that - I was awake until around 3 am, and my alarm sounded at 4 am.

I explained this at the reception when I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay. The receptionist explained that the nightclub was not owned by the hotel - irritating no doubt, but not really my problem. The receptionist suggested I could get an upgrade the next time I stayed.

5. A week later I emailed the hotel to explain this. I received no reply. 2 weeks after that I emailed the hotel again, voicing my disappointment at the lack of response. I have waited 9 days for a response to that. But again, nothing. At this point I can't do anything other than reflect my disappointment in this review. Hotels owe it to their customers to provide a decent sleep. A 5 star hotel should be able to offer a quiet night's sleep to all their customers. As soon as I was assigned that room I was guaranteed to have no sleep - I just didn't realise it until it was too late.

Room Tip: Go for a room as high up as possible. If you're in a room over the nightclub side of the buildin...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank ChrisS_8513
Guest E, Manager at Melia Dubai Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Mr. Sullivan,

I would like to thank you for taking some of your precious time to write a review about the quality of our service. We are always following up with our guests whether they enjoyed their stay or not as we are constantly striving for their loyalty.
The reason you have not received a reply from us is because we have not received your emails, please accept our sincere apologies for that. We will also send you an email privatly to further discuss the issues you encountered.
In regards to the noise coming from the night club, we do agree with you that a 5 star hotel should be able to offer a quit and peaceful night' sleep no matter on which floor a guest stays. In order tp avoid this matter to happen again we are looking to improve our sound proof system.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Melia Dubai.

Best regards,
The Guest Experience team
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are just really amazing, huge bathroom with a huge bath tub and an amazing design, really well equipped and modern, just loved them. Nice small pool on the rooftop, staff are nice. Not a big fan of the location but its not that bad anyway.

Dear Mr. Tariq,
It is great to hear that you have had an enjoyable stay with us and also that you have appreciated our elegant and contemporary Italian Style that has been designed by Marco Mangili, we feel very proud of it.

We have received many comments about the location, as we are not at Down Town Dubai, but that also has some advantages. Our hotel is like an Oasis just few minutes by taxi from the busy city center of Dubai.
Melia Dubai is located at the Bur Dubai where you can experience the ancient senses of the city visiting the Dubai Creek or the Sheikh Mohammed Centre, the second attraction best ranked in Tripadvisor, as it is a unique experience of the deep history of the city of Dubai. If you are planning to come to Melia Dubai we recommend you to contact our website: melia.com. You would be able to get more information about it and also the best available rates. We hope to see you soon.
Warm Regards,
Ireland
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Having read the amazing reviews we booked the Melia as a weekend treat for a little relaxation and sunbathing but we got more than we bargained for. On arrival we drove to the entrance to be great by a member of staff, we expected for a 5 star hotel to offer valet parking, but we were told to park around the corner and we were given no help with our bags.
Our room wasn't ready so we went up to the pool. Approx 30 minutes later the pool attentent informed us our room was ready. The rooms are very nice, comfy beds, big bathroom, but not very private with glass walls.
We spent the day at the pool which was very nice, but as other reviewers had stated that they received complimentary water and cold towels at the pool, we did not receive this. We ordered lunch at the pool, club sandwiches were very nice and later we ordered a few cocktails which took approx 30 minutes to arrive.

In the evening we went out for dinner and returned to the hotel for a drink in Heaven, nice cocktails and the singer was very good but the bar was empty. We decided to go for another drink in the nightclub downstairs called Mansion. As you enter the club you walk along a dark tunnel and as we entered the main area we saw very scantily dressed ladies dancing in cages. We stayed for one drink but left shortly after arriving as one of our group was being harassed by a male clubber.

We got back to our rooms around 1am and could hear the music from the club well into the night. My friend was kept awake all night with the loud "inapproaite noises" from the room next door which was a connecting room. Also the room stank of smoke even though it was a none smoking floor.
The noise and smoke issue was reported the next morning and the receptionist phoned to room, and told my friend to go back to the room and try to get some sleep for a few hours. The noises were still coming from the room at 10am, not what you want to hear on a relaxing weekend break!
When we checked out we complained again about the noise and smoked filled room.

The guy that checked us out was not interested in hearing out complaints and dismissed it. I found him to be very rude. Melia really need to get their staff trained in customer service. Not a 5 star experience and we shall not be returning to Melia anytime soon.

2 Thank Tina M
Dear Ms. Tina,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor!

Kindly allow me to apologize if your last experience with us was not to your expectations and satisfaction; we regret to hear that you haven’t enjoyed your last stay at the Melia Dubai. We are sincerely surprised to read your comments as we are constantly working on providing our best service and care for our guests. However, we would like to ensure you that all the comments has been forwarded to the relevant head of department for their knowledge and actions.
Ms. Tina, You are invited to visit us again and so we would have the chance, this time, to meet your expectations.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed in melia on the 2june till 6june with my husband for our first wedding anniversary!
We were on floor 4 in deluxe room which has a good view, bathroom closet, shower , bathtub and everything was very good! Room was extremely very clean!
I was little unsure when I booked the hotel it had a mixed reviews regarding the hotel food etc, but I think I made a good choice! Morning breakfast was good it had different types of food! Hotel has amazing citrus fragrance all over the hotel !
I really didn't liked the area I think it could off been built in better place not next to residential area!

But at the same time its not far from tourist attraction, we mainly used taxis to go around not too cheap, you would not like to walk for 20mins to go to nearest metro station in the boiling weather! (I heard a lot in other reviews 20mins walk)
taxis can be arrange by the hotel concierge.
Apart from location that we had great 5night stay in Melia!

Dear Mesh,
We are glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations. It is always grateful to receive good comments from our guest as those are an inspiration for us that help us to ensure that every moment is a surprise.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in a near future.

Best Regards,

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Melia during a brief stay in Dubai and we were highly impressed with the hotel. From the people at the front desk, to the door men, to the concierge desk everyone was incredibly nice and helpful! The rooms are stunningly amazing! We had a king size bed that was very comfortable and a rain shower along with a soaker tub and a separate room with a toilet. It also had two huge closets that was very nice for putting our luggage and clothes in during our stay. The entire hotel just had this amazing smell throughout it! The rooms were quiet. We didnt use the pool but we went up to see it and it was very nice and had a nice view from the rooftop. If you are looking for a nice hotel for a reasonable price, this is it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Guest E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Dubai Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Ms. Jess,
We are delighted to receive such a pleasant feedback of your recent stay at Melia Dubai; we would like to thank you for your most kind comments regarding our staff, which we proudly consider to be our most important asset. We hope to have you back soon; although, for your next stay with us, we recommend you our swimming pool at the rooftop of the hotel, from where you will enjoy an amazing view of downtown Dubai and also experience our YHI SPA, an oasis where you will relax your body and mind with our unique treatments. If you may need more information about us please do not hesitate to contact melia.com.