“Fantastic Staff, Food & Management”

Segreto Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #209 of 9,623 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Take an abra through Madinat's serene waterways to the Malakiya Villas, and you'll find Segreto - one of the hidden gems on Dubai's fine dining map. An enchanting evening then takes you up a candlelit stairway to the elegant interior and secluded terrace, of the restaurant itself.
Snaith
“Fantastic Staff, Food & Management”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Visited Segreto twice during August 2012 whilst stayin at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel. We were recommended the restaurant by a fellow guest who assured us it was very family friendly and was on the free half board deal.
When we arrived at the VERY posh looking restaurant I thought that there was no way this place is "Family Friendly" an as my kids were 6 and a very boisterous 2 at the time.
We were seated and proceeded to order our meals, Unfortunately the air conditioning in the restaurant was very fierce, as it is in most places in Dubai, and my little girl was uncomfortable and started to fidget. We managed to eat our delicious starters when the little one got worse. I decided she was probably tired and popped her in the buggy to try and get her to have a snooze. I marched her into the marble lined reception but she was only happy when she was being pushed. At this point I was approached by a guy in a suit, who I later discovered was the restaurant Manager. I thought to myself "Here we go, please can you take your noisy child outside."
But no, the manager enquired after the kids welfare and said he would give her a push whilst we finished our meal in peace. I was absolutely taken aback. He proceeded to wheel her around in the buggy, never out of my view, and had all the staff cooing over my daughter and generally spoiling her rotten. We finished our meal in piece and he returned her to us for dessert.
Can you imagine this kind of family friendliness from a reataurant manager in the UK?
This is the kind of service you can expect here.
Oh and the food was superb!!
Thanks you Segreto, see you again in the Summer.

• Visited August 2012

• Finnish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Romantic Dinner for two!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Great for a romantic dinner for two. The service is good, the food tastes great and it is overly priced as it would be expected. I dont think italian food should be that expected but then again the atmosphere compensates for it...

Visited February 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Jumeirah Management at its worst....”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We went with a group of 30 persons yesterday night at Segreto, started with drinks at the Centimetro bar upstairs, followed up with a dinner downstairs. I had made it perfectly clear with the restaurant manager that I would be the one to be consulted when ordering the drinks for the group, and to my surprise, the waiters started serving Grappa to all at the end of the dinner.

Offering a digestive in Italian restaurants elsewhere at the end of a dinner is a common practice, so I assumed it was the case, especially when actually, only a dozen of us had one (compared with the total revenue they would make with us that night). When discussing with the Manager, I asked whether these grappas were courtesy of the house, and he said no….He confirmed that one of our group's member had asked for Grappa for him and a couple of other persons to which I replied that this was not the reason for his waiter to then start serving all other customers. An argument followed and I was extremely surprised by the appalling behavior of the management who was being argumentative instead of trying to solve that issue right away.
The total bill was over 21.000 AED (approximately 6.000 USD). In addition to that they would not accept to offer a dozen grappas when they were the ones who started serving everybody and I never actually asked for any freebie upfront. When arguing with the management, no apologies whatsoever were presented at any time of our argument on their obvious cockup, and, in an attempt to cut the story short, I was told that it is Jumeirah’s policy not to offer anything…

I did not want to fight any longer (although I truly believe that I was in my right), so I was the one who actually settled the issue telling them to only charge me half of the grappas. Settling the issue was obviously not, on Segreto's management agenda...

Finally, after all that, I was presented with the bill. While checking the bill details, I realized that I was charged 4860 AED (over 1300 USD) for 36 glasses of spumante (130 AED each) that were served before the dinner. When asking the Manager why I had been charged by the glass and not by bottles instead, given the volume of consumption, he replied “we do not sell by the bottle”.

I paid and I left, but something was not right... So, on my way out, I stopped at the bar upstairs and asked the barman if they were selling bottles of spumante, he confirmed they did at that the price was 320 AED (or so). I had no other recourse than to go back down to the restaurant and confront the manager. Since I did not want to make any further fuss, I just told him that on top of not dealing with customer complaints in an appropriate way, he blatantly lied to me and that was unacceptable and he would hear from me. I then left, with a profound disgust.

I happen to also come from the hotel industry and actually from the same Swiss institution Jumeirah Group has partnered with, and seeing the way the Segreto management has dealt with this issue was a real shocker. If this is representative of how Jumeirah Group deals with customers, they have a real issue.

It is not about the money, it’s all about how you treat customers. Unfortunately it looks that Jumeirah Group, or at least Segreto’s management has lost it, probably too used to deal with tourists with whom customer fidelity is a non-issue.

A letter to Jumeirah Management will be sent, I will be waiting for their answer, let’s see if they are consistent in the way they treat residing customers…

Olivier BRUTTIN

• Visited February 2013
7 Thank zitoondubai
Munich, Bayern, Germany
“Lovely Food in a Romantic Setting”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was so pleased my husband and I tried this restaurant! It's set on the waterway of Madinat Jumeirah meaning you can arrive by abra, which makes for a very romantic start! Then inside the restaurant is charming, with an elegant yet relaxed feel and views out onto the waterway, making you think you could be in Venice rather than Dubai!

I have to say, the food was delicious. I had a lasagne and it was the best I'd had for a long time and plenty of it. All of the staff were super and extremely attentive. They were also good at making recomendations and they also changed the menu to accomodate my husband's fussy tastes!

We will definatly go there again on our next visit to Dubai :)

Visited January 2013
“Wow factor”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Went for dinner with my wife during our honeymoon and it was a unique experience.

The trip from Al Qasr to the restaurant via Abra adds to the wow factor and ambiance of the dinner. The hospitality of the staff is second to none. Try to get a terrace table overlooking the waterway as the view of Burj Alarab is splendid. This is a very romantically set restaurant.

Food options are a bit odd if you are used to classic Italian dishes. For example, there is no Ffettucini alfredo or spaghetti bolognese. Pizzas are completely lacking from the menu as well. The menu also relies quite strongly on sea food, so if you are not much of a seafood eater, you will have to spend a bit of time to find dishes you might like.

With such an "avantgaurd" menu, the waiters are extremely knowledgeable and helpful at explaining and recommending dishes.

We had various forms of pasta and a shrimp plate and all of them were lovely. Did not sample deserts as we were very full by that time.

Strongly recommended for couples seeking a special romantic night out. Prices are high but not in a brutal way.

Visited December 2012