“Great Flavors, Strong or Subtle”
Review of Ban Khun Mae

Ban Khun Mae
Ranked #1,121 of 9,540 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Baku, Azerbaijan
“Great Flavors, Strong or Subtle”
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Bad news first: it's located in a shopping mall food court without its own seating area. The decibel level in this solid surface sound amplifying environment leads me to say, take the food back home or to your hotel.
The good news is that the food here is good. Also good value with our meal for 2 coming to around 90 dbh. HINT: we utilized 1 combo meal of appetizer, curry dish, and fountain drink and then added 1 entree and a bottle of water. The entrees come with steamed rice. So, we were stuffed by sharing the following: appetizer of veggie spring rolls (4 in one order!), tofu and green bean red curry which was perfectly spicy (if unsure, hedge toward less spicy) for us at the medium level w/ wonderful flavor, and the stir fried kai larn - veggie dish with greens and mushrooms. The greens were very tasty in a totally different way from the curry. And we also had rice. There was about a 10 minute wait to have everything cooked after receiving the order. They won't have chicken ready to toss into a bucket like their next door neighbor KFC. When your order is ready, they will wiggle a hand bell, if you aren't at the counter.

• Visited August 2014

• Thai first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Best Thai / Lao restaurant in town!”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Ban Khun Mae, or my mother's village is by far one of the most affordable and best, if not the best Thai / Laotian restaurant in Dubai - and i know what i am talking about for being Lao myself.

i personally go there every week end just for the Tam Som (or Som Tam in Thai) that the Lao chef can do both ways, either Lao or Thai.

I have sampled most of their menu and I have to say that the food is the most authentic you will get in Dubai and much better than some 4-5* restaurant.

I took my mother there when she came over for a visit and she loved it! - that's a great sign!

the only down point is that they don't cook pork but hey, being in a muslim country, you can't have it all :).

if you go there, try the beef or chicken laab but ask the chef to make it Lao style!

• Visited July 2014
“Lovely... Green Curry”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We had the green curry, chicken version, over the last weekend, it was fantabulous and we were so happy to be back at Ban Khun Mae, after a long time.... hope to go there more often now...

• Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“One of the best”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I'm really fond of Thai food and this was one of the best green curries I've had outside Thailand. They used proper ingredients - Thai basil, kaffir leaves, fresh green peppercorns, the round thai aubergines - and it showed in the result. I tried the beef version which was excellent.

I think the curry and rice was about 35 Dirham - the serving was more than I could manage. Might even be enough for 2 small eaters.

This is a small place in a mall food court, so don't go for the ambience. Despite that, I'd highly recommend making the effort to find it. Worth going there specifically if you're fond of Thai food. I've paid a lot more in fancier restaurants for curries that were nowhere as good as this.

• Visited June 2014
“Nice Green Curry”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I love Thai food. This has a decent variety of Thai food choice. The food taste is good. Slightly over priced I would think. Also vegetarian without fish ingredient is very limited. However, for the non vegitarian, the choice is good. I had Green curry with rice.

• Visited January 2014