“Could do better!”

Ranked #210 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Could do better!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed at the Marina Byblos Dubai for one night to visit our daughter and husband for birthday celebrations. Reception staff were very busy when we arrived, so it was a while before we were seen to. Only one member of staff seemed to be working, and was under pressure, however instead of acknowledging us and asking for our patience, we were virtually ignored. Once we had got her attention there wasn't a problem, but my husband was already agitated!
The room and bathroom was very clean, décor was pleasant and main bed comfortable. Unfortunately the folding bed for our 16 year old was like sleeping on a plank of wood!
Breakfast was adequate but not much choice. The main problem with the hotel was the pool, my husband said it was very dirty, so I didn't even bother putting my cozie on!.
On a positive note for the hotel would be the location, at Dubai Marina and near JBR beach, not far from the metro and Marina mall and just around the corner from our daughters apartment.
I have to say also that it was very reasonable. So just for that reason I would stay again, probably only one night though!

So Byblos if you read this, just give your staff some extra training, clean the pool regularly, try out the folding bed for yourself!!!! and maybe make the breakfast a little bit more interesting!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nessa28259

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Dunblane
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed two nights and was deeply disappointed at the complete lack of interest of the staff. They hardly spoke or even acknowledged us and made no effort to help unless specifically asked.room was very nice and well cleaned. I agree with other reviews that not having free wifi in this day and age is surprising.
Breakfast was ok but just ok. Getting a waitress to get a cuppa was a task in itself. They buzzed about but never came near. Crockery had chips in it - not just one or two dishes either ! Had a meal in Amadeus when to our surprise a dance lesson started up with two couples having paid for private salsa lessons while we were trying to enjoy a meal. Had to ask for the usual accompaniments for my fajitas as they weren't brought.
Meal was ok.doormen etc made no effort to greet us and not once did any staff hold a door on passing through. The staff , even in the lift, ignored guests - no smile or greeting or anything. Corridor of floor 8 smelled of stale cigarettes.
We had looked forward to pur Dubai visit but were disappointed by the hotel. Not four star standard. I would not stay here again as I think there
are better hotels around.

• Stayed August 2013

Travelers are raving about these Dubai hotels

N Ireland
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was the first hotel of 3 that we visited on our honeymoon. We arrived at 8am after an overnight flight from UK and got our room immediately. We went to the mall to get some breakfast but because it was Ramadan we discovered that we were not allowed to eat, drink, smoke or chew chewing gum during the hours of daylight. The bar downstairs could serve food and soft drinks from 2 until 8pm and then alcohol could be served. While sitting in the bar I received a phone call that a very close friend had died. I was very upset and started crying in the bar. Although I had not been smoking for a few weeks I immediately wanted a cigarette.the young Australian bar man (sorry can't remember your name) went to the shop for me to get me menthol cigarettes as they did not sell them. Lisa in the bar got me tea. I spoke to Darrin Thomas chief concierge and explained what had happened and requested if it would be possible to get moved to a smoking room. Darrin arranged this for us and enquired everyday how I was. He also helped us with tickets for the hop on hop off bus. I only visited the pool once as it was too hot. The room was lovely. The breakfast was OK always got enough to do us but was nothing special.

Room Tip: We had a room on 7th floor overlooking marina. As it was Ramadan there was no entertainment in hote...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We were staying at this hotel for 7 nights, in April. We were warmly welcomed by the hotel staff with cold drinks, coffee and cold towels. The room we had was very nice, clean, large and it had a great view oh the marina.The food was great and all the staff from the hotel and from the restaurant did their best to pleased us.Dubai Marina area is very nice and the nearest metro station is about 10 minutes away.Thank you Byblos Marina for a wonderful holiday!

Room Tip: Get a higher floor for a gorgeous view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dana2211
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay with a fabulous roof top swimming pool and practical gym. A good selection of resturants and and English bar !!! One of the best value for money places to stay, close to the marina and easy access to supermarkets etc

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Spent two nights on a stopover on the way to Vietnam. Friendly staff and very clean and nice rooms. Clubs/bars at lobby seemed pretty quiet during our stay so we were not bothered by any noise (we were on the 8th floor in any case). Rooftop pool was decent size and great for a spot of relaxing. Didn't try any food/drinks at the hotel so can't comment on that but there is a 24 hour mini market about 200m away which was very convenient. In terms of location, Dubai is a bit tricky to comment on, you can walk to the beach and marina shopping center (15-20 mins) if you can bear the heat but to be honest it's a short (and cheap) taxi ride to all attractions around marina/beach.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Karagiozis
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Byblos Marina Hotel has comfortable, spacious rooms with a very friendly staff.
The receptionist made our 7-night stay a lot simpler, by helping us out with getting around the city and making the best of our trip.
I cannot give it a full 5 star rating because, for example our room was at the 3rd floor with a street view, and in some nights you could hear the the noise British pub downstairs, which may not be as fun as it would sound when you are trying to sleep, but the friends we were travelling with, got a room at the 7th floor with a view of the marina, which was really cool.
If I was the one on the 7th floor, I would give it 5 stars, but I was not, and I don`t.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at a superior floor with a view of the marina !
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family