“Lots of fun, great experience”

Funtours - Desert Safari Dubai
Dubai Desert Dinner with Traditional Show
Ranked #9 of 147 Fun & Games in Dubai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We put the Fun in Tours. Funtours is a British managed company that puts your Safety and enjoyment first. We guarantee VALUE FOR MONEY on all our tours and cater to the individual needs of our guests. Our ENGLISH speaking staff is trained to the highest standard of both safety and customer service. Our new fleet of 4x4's are fitted with all the latest safety equipment and fully insured! At Funtours we realise this may be a once in a lifetime holiday, and go out of our way to ensure that you have the best possible experience with us. Our Desert Safari has the best in Dune driving, entertainment and catering. N.B. This IS a tourist attraction.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Booked this in advance in the UK before visiting Dubai.

What an amazing experience. The driver picks you up in the 4x4 right from your hotel, then you meet the other guests on your trip (7 seater car). The drive is about 45 minutes from JBR Walk then you reach the dessert. There is then a rest stop where you can buy gifts, refreshments etc while the driver takes some air out of the tyres.

The off-road dessert tour is amazing. It's exactly what it sounds like - your driver takes you on a trip over the sand dunes for about 30 minutes non stop at various speeds. At points it seems like the car is going to roll down the hills, but it manages to stay upright. It really gets your adrenaline rush up and really is a lot of fun.

The cars then stop for a bit where you can take photos etc then you head off to a camp where 4 or 5 other companies are they sharing the camp. The camp includes camel rides, food and drink stalls etc then there is a BBQ and traditional dancing where you sit around the stage on your hands and knees on small tables. This last bit at the camp all seemed a little fake and 'put on' tbh, but I guess it was all part of the experience. The food was nice and was all part of the price so can't complain.

You then find your driver where you will be taken back to your hotel.

I would recommend doing this trip, couldn't fault funtours as everything was included in the price and the driver was very polite and friendly. Our driver was dressed in the traditional white gown and headgear which added to the experience, whereas some of the other tour drivers were just dressed in polos and shorts which didn't seem as 'traditional'

1  Thank MattyyD
Fiona D, General Manager at Funtours - Desert Safari Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Thank you for your comments, glad you had a good time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)
All reviews
in 18 reviews
"arabian"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I went on a desert safari with Funtours in June 2013 and I absolutely loved it. I highly recommend Funtours, they are very professional and their fares are very reasonable compared to the other tour groups. I booked my safari weeks in advance and Funtours was quick to respond to all my queries.

I was the last one to be picked up just after 4pm, the drive to the desert took about 35-45 minutes. On the way we stopped at some shopping place where you can buy souvenirs and snacks; the sellers are pretty full on trying to get you to buy something but there is no pressure to buy anything so its up to you.

When we got to the desert we were in a convoy with the other Funtours 4x4 cars (approximately 6 cars in total) and being driven over the sand dunes was so much fun! I cannot remember the driver's name however he was a very careful driver, he would do all these daring but very SAFE manoeuvres over the dunes, it was really good. For obvious reasons I would not recommend it for those with motion sickness. I'm partially faint-hearted myself but I was able to handle it and loved it.

After driving over the sand dunes for about 30 minutes we were taken to the desert camp. The camp was clean and well maintained including the toilets. You get a free ride on the camels but the ride is quite short so don't expect a long ride. There are some quad bikes located near the camel ride however its not part of the desert safari so you pay an extra fee to get on them if you wish. Whatever you do stay away from the men who ask you to pose with a parrot, they demand a payment and are not worth your time!

The buffet dinner at the camp was delicious and drinks are served throughout. The dancing entertainment after/during dinner was quite interesting, for me it was something different to what I am used to so I loved it. We got back to Dubai around 9pm and when they drop you off they give you a free Funtours tshirt. I enjoyed the safari and highly recommend Funtours so do not hesitate to book with them.

4  Thank Chelsea R

Thank you for your comments, laughed about the parrot :)

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I also spent a lot of time searching for a cheap(ish) tour with good reviews and am so glad I booked with Funtours! Picked up and dropped off at your hotel, dune bashing went on for a really long time and we were the only car in our tour which felt like a very personal service! Show was ok but I just enjoyed the atmosphere of camp, the food, and my henna tattoo is beautiful. The only downside was the very unprofessional driver. As a solo female traveller safety is essential so booking with a reputable company I didn't expect the driver to be blatantly hitting on me the entire trip - I can handle flirting but trying to kiss me behind the dunes or insisting we go to another hotel for the night together...I of course said NO but he kept suggesting it over and over on the way home, which did make me feel quite unsafe as he'd dropped everyone else off already. The upside to this was that he took loads of photos - so I have some really nice ones of me! I still highly recommend this company as I had a great night but solo females beware!

2  Thank princesscherri
Fiona D, General Manager at Funtours - Desert Safari Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

This has been discussed vial e mail and the issue resolved.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had booked Funtours for the city tour and Desert Safari during last week of May, 2013. We had a wonderful experience. Mr. Rain, Mr KD and Mr Mujeeb were very warm, cordial and helpful during the tour and did everything possible to make our tour unforgettable.

Initially we were very apprehensive as to which desert safari tour to book as there are a lot of options available but we found Funtours to be excellent value for money. I also enjoyed discussing Cricket with Mr. Mujeeb while returning back from the desert safari and will never forget the hindi songs being played in the vehicle. I never felt i was away from my country.

1  Thank Arvind R

So glad to hear you had a good time. Yes Mujeeb never gets tired of talking cricket. Thanks for the great review.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 3, 2013

In preparation of our holiday/work stay in Dubai we decided to contact Fun Tours, after reviewing what was on offer on Trip Advisor, for organising some of the visits/attractions. Every time we sent a mail we had a very quick answer to our questions. We would recommend Fun Tours and especially Karen who was so helpful. The dune bashing was great fun for me (maybe a bit less for my wife...) and a superb experience. We were lucky that the high season was over (we were there in May) and there wera only 3 passengers in the 4x4. We would do it again, should we go back to Dubai. For the city tour we were lucky to have a very knowledgeable and helpful driver who showed us the many different aspect of the city. The night cruise and diner was ok (could have been more enjoyable without the group we had to join on the boat). All in all very good value for money for the service offered by Fun Tours.

So glad that we made your trip with Funtours easy and enjoyable. Thanks for the review.