“Really good value for money”

Orient Tours - Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$58.72*
and up
Abu Dhabi City Sightseeing Tour - The Arabian Jewel
Ranked #38 of 464 Outdoor Activities in Dubai
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I spent a lot of time researching which company to use for the desert safari as there was so much choice.

I am really glad I chose orient tours who gave the best price and really good service.

As other reviews have said, they do want payment upfront and scan details of the credit card. I was apprehensive about this and they agreed that I could pay on the day.

I phoned up the day before to confirm and they made a slight change to the time.

On the day they picked me up at the agreed time. The driver let us know the itinerary for the day then along the way he would point out various points and answer any questions we had.

The cars all meet up at a point where they would let down the air in the tyres. We would then do the dune bashing for about an hour with various stops for photos in between. It was really good fun.

We then went to a camel farm, this wasn't anything fancy.

We then went to the camp where you could have a camel ride, sandboarding, henna, shisha at no extra cost compared to other companies which charge for aspects of this.

You then could have unlimited soft drinks. The performance by a male performer and a belly dancer would start and in between you would have a buffet meal.

orient had their own camp and at the time it wasn't very busy, but that didn't bother me as I could get served really quick.

After this, the driver would then pick us all up and take us back to our hotel.

OrientTours, Guest Relations Manager at Orient Tours - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2017

Dear CallumA1990,
Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback about our Half Day Desert Safari which you have joined. It was a pleasure having you with us and we are glad to read that you were satisfied with our services. Happy to read that you had fun during the dune drive and loved the photo-stops. We would love to welcome you again on one of our tours/safaris.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"lamb"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We chose Orient Tours due to their positive Tripadvisor reviews, and the unbeatable price they quoted for two adults and a 10 and 12 year old for the evening desert safari.

To confirm the booking online, I was asked to provide a scan (or fax) of both sides of my credit card and make the full payment upfront. I was a little apprehensive, but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Only the agreed amount was charged to my card, and no unauthorised transactions have appeared since.

The driver arrived at the agreed time (the pickup was brought forward by 30 minutes, but they phoned the day before to let me know) and upon being picked up, the driver explained the itinerary for the day and was happy to answer any questions we had about the tour.

The desert safaris are all almost identical to each other, but Orient’s version was at their own camp and included a sandboarding slope at no extra cost. On the August night we went, there were only 5 cars, so the camp felt very quiet with many tables lying empty. The positive of this was that the henna artist was able to take more time with her work, and we could have multiple camel rides and turns of sandboarding if we wanted.

The barbecue dinner was the standard fare of Arabic bread, hummous, tabbouleh, salads and grilled lamb, chicken and burgers. Soft drinks and water were free, but beers (Heineken or Fosters cans) were AED 15 each and juice was AED 5.

Overall it was a good evening, and I’d recommend Orient Tours as long as you don’t mind giving your card details over email, or are able to pay them cash on the day.

1  Thank CallumLondon
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Excellent Trip. I always worry about choosing a good tour operator and like to do my research so when we read the good reviews for Orient Tours we choosed Orient. We had an excellent and confident driver (who turned up on time), A very professional company. Definitely worth the money too as you leave approx. 3:30Hrs and get back about 21:Hrs and always have something to do. The dune bashing was good fun and fairly scary at times, followed by a delicious dinner, henna, camel rides, sand boarding, Shisha Belly Dance and Tanoura Danve show. Would highly recommend Orient as friends had disappointing experiences with other providers.

4  Thank Nuwara V

Dear Nuwara V,
Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback about our Half Day Desert Safari which you joined. It was a pleasure having you on board and we are happy to read that you rated our driver as "excellent and confident". Further, we are glad that you enjoyed the buffet and that you would recommend Orient Tours. We would love to welcome you again on one of our tours/safaris.

Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We had three companies to choose from for the desert safari tour and went with Orient because of the reviews.

I had done this tour in Abu Dhabi a few years ago so basically knew what to expect. This tour was seriously lacking and I wouldn't use this company again.

They picked us up on time but the driver didn't say a word to us. Took two hours to get to the dunes and we then spent not even an hour in the 4x4 dune bashing. The dune bashing itself felt like we were just driving around the sand. Our driver was slow and didn't do anything exciting. Some of the other cars around us were having a much better experience. We ended up just chatting with everyone in the car it was that boring.

When we got to the camp site we had a camel ride, drank some coffee and could have had henna done (we chose not to). Was very poorly organised. We weren't told where to get drinks from and ultimately was just really boring.

The dinner was nice and there was plenty of food however there were stray cats everywhere which kept jumping onto the tables and trying to get at the food. Was very off putting.

Then came the entertainment - about 10 minutes of a man twirling in traditional costume. What they failed to mention is that all other entertainment was cancelled due to Ramadan.

Complete waste of money. Could not even slightly compare to the Abu Dhabi experience.

1  Thank TBs_gone_wild

Dear TBs_gone_wild,
Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback about our Half Day Desert Safari which you have joined. It was a pleasure having you with us. However, we apologize for not having fully met your expectations. Please note that what you describe is not that usual level of service which we provide to our guests and we would therefore like to discuss this matter directly with you. Kindly send an email to sarah@orienttours.ae We would love to welcome you again on one of our tours/safaris.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We had a choice of three companies for a dune safari in Dubai and chose this one not because it was the cheapest but because the reviews of the company were good. The tour cost 230 AED each and we booked it the morning of the tour.

Pick-up was at our hotel in a 4wd. They were on time and we shared the 4wd with three other guests. After about an hour on the road we met up with five other 4wd's from the same company and hit the dunes. I must say I was slightly disappointed with the dune experience as I had heard it was exhilarating and at times a bit hairy. The ride was far from this with not much sliding and lots of braking.

We stopped off for photos whereby a company photographer wanted to take photos even if you said no. We were taken to a camel farm and people could hold a bird for 5 AED or as our car driver told us if we waited to get to the camp it would be free.

Once we got to the camp we were offered a free camel ride, free coffee, a free henna tattoo and you had the opportunity to buy a sand gift. All drinks (non-alcoholic was all that was offered) were free and a buffet of salad, meat and chicken was also available.

There was no belly dancing as we attended during Ramadan when they can't show their bellies. We did have another show where a guy did a twirling act. The only thing they tried to sell us outside of the initial cost was for the photos and video of the tour for €20.

My assessment would be it's a reasonable tour but if you are looking for a bit more adventure I have heard there are other companies that drive through the dunes with a bit more fun.

Dear Rbbenno,
Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback about our Half Day Desert Safari which you joined. It was a pleasure having you with us and we are happy to read that you enjoyed the tour. We are sure your detailed review will be helpful to other readers. We would love to welcome you again on one of our safaris/tours.