“Abrupt staff, loud noisy night club, charges for everything”

Howard Johnson Bur Dubai
Ranked #274 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel looked too good to be true on hotels.com - £50 per night, close to the city, great facilities.

It is only when you stay here that you realise this hotel is not great. The staff are actually quite abrupt and unfriendly. I was made to feel like I was an inconvenience from check in onwards. They are very short with you and are very dismissive, The Internet was not working for my device and when I called the reception I was abruptly told to turn my iPad off and wait for 5 minutes before they slammed the phone down.

The night club is extremely loud - I was on the 4th floor and could here it very loudly in my room. At 1 am I complained and they said they could try and move me - move rooms at 1am?! I thought the whole point of offering hotel rooms was so your customers could sleep???

The food is very poor - £11 for breakfast - cold omelette, bit of cereal, plastic looking sausages, cold potatoes, bits of melon and tired looking bread. I had room service which was a pizza and it was disgusting - my mouth was very dry afterwards - way too much salt.

The safe in my room has run out of battery so will not lock and is also not secured to the wardrobe and so anyone could just take the safe out of my room. The bathroom is grotty and the taps have the tops broken off. The television has only Indian and Arabic channels - the rest are blank.

Overall I was very disappointed with this hotel and I will not be staying here when I return to Dubai

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Worst Hotel Ever!

Below are the Following Reasons why you should not dare stay at this hotel:-

1) Customer Services- does NOT exist! All staff are rude, incompetent and did not care whatsoever about their customers. We arrived 6am and were told to come back at 2pm because they did not have rooms ready for us. (So we thought we would check out the facilities)

2) The Gym- a tiny room, with broken equipment, of no use whatsoever. when I saw it, it looked like a hurricane had been in there, everything was broken and empty.

3) Swimming Pool?- Not really a swimming pool, a dirty small whole in the ground sums it up (or a swamp). The whole pool area was extremely dirty, the sunbeds are so filthy, you can see the dirt on them miles away, no normal person would dare sit on one (I didnt). When we furiously took this up with the manager (Pankaj his name is...look out for him), he agreed that the swimming pool is not one that you can actually swim in, just stand in really, shame and silence is all he had to offer in return for our complaint.

4) So after using the disgusting pool which you can only stand in, I went to use the disgusting shower (yes there is only one in the changing rooms)- dirty, yellow, and seriously unclean...had to use it in desperation, When I asked the lifeguard for some soap, he said the hotel does not have any...so I was left to take a dirty shower, after going in a dirty pool, without soap. Furthermore, there was a small sauna room there, although it was out of service and closed, once again of no use.

5) So after asking several times when we will get our rooms (and being rudely told to come back at 2pm and having the phone put down on us)...we finally saw our rooms after blasting the management for poor facilities and appalling customer services. The Rooms were unclean, the furniture old, and the rooms looked like they had last been cleaned in 1980. There were stains on bed sheets and chairs and cigarette burn marks on the furniture and the room smelt horrible. So after seeing this we complained AGAIN, we were offered an "upgraded room", but was not an upgraded room at all...same dirty room with old worn out furnishings which smelt terrible, with toilets that were old and mouldy.

In the end, we took our bags and went to the Ramada Chelsea- Al Barsha, where we got excellent rooms, facilities and customers service.

Also worth noting, when heading out of this hotel, the cab driver told us someone recently got murdered there...good thing we did not stay there. I would advise anyone to avoid this nightmare hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank KaranG28
Vinay D, General Manager at Howard Johnson Bur Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Sir, firstly we regret the inconvenience caused to you due to your early arrival in the hotel. Our check-in time is 2 pm which is universally applicable. If you need to have the room on arrival (specially early morning arrivals) we request all our patrons to book the room from the previous night. You would be well aware that our check out time being 12 noon there is little possibility of having vacant rooms before that. We try our best to keep our guest satisfaction a top priority and therefore we allot a room for early arrivals too, but this is subject to availability.

Our gym is a facility for people who do not want to miss their daily exercise regime. It is unfortunate that you were not happy with the choice of machines available. We have checked the machines since and any minor problem there has been addressed.

We proudly belong to the Wyndham group of Hotels and have very strict standards on upkeep. Our swimming pool is maintained and cleaned daily by a professional pool keepers. The depth of the pool is 1.9 mts which is standard. Our hotel pictures are available on our web site which gives a clarity of our pool. Most patrons find it as a good facility. Other facilities like a Jacuzzi and Sauna are also available.

Dear Sir, our rooms have been lately renovated (last year) and are maintained daily with professional expertise. We sincerely apologize if we were below your expectation and assure that efforts are on to continuously enhance the product we offer.

Regards

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed in the howard johnston for a weeks holiday from the 24 oct 2012 to the 31 0ct 2012
well worth the money staff friendly and hepfull in any way. I was there after a long hard season from the hotel i work in Ireland. There was plenty to do.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 9, 2012

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL if you want to be able to sleep. The extremely loud music from the ground/mezzanine nightclub goes on until 3am, and can be heard throughout the lower floors. The music is so loud that the coffee cups were rattling on the table in my room. We were finally moved to a 5th floor room which had a broken door, and an insufficient number of beds in the room for the number of guests. I was told by another patron that she had been kept awake for all of her 4 night stay, even though her room was on the fourth floor. This property needs to decide whether it is a nightclub or a hotel. Staff response to complaints was total indifference and lack of concern. We were also charged for laundry items which we did not have, and telephone charges are exorbitant. No free wi-fi either.

Room Tip: Do not stay on any of the lower floors.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My mom and me were staying in this hotel 7 night. It was nice and for real clearn hotel, to my mind! Better take room in high floor , cause they have some stupid night club)) room was for real clearn, breakfast is not that good, but for one day it's ok) they have small pool on the roof, me like it:) in general,we loved our stay in Howard Johnson:)

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Dana20200
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Firstly it is not the worth the money one pays per night. The staff has no faith on customers. They are doing illegal things like holding customers passport. When you ask it back for your need they ask for heavy deposits. this is inspite prepaid in full for 5 nights. I feel when Hotel has no faith on customers it is the worst place to stay. the house keeping stff are unqualified as they do not understand the stickers like "clean my room". You have to physically inform them on phone and ensure they come and set up the room. Hotel staff does not inform cutomers of complimentary facilities availability.
Hence me and my wife would not recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Dubai on Holidays.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chanderkiran N
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great room ,close to Dubai creek, has two night clubs, and Indian restaurant that has live music.. best take transport at night as the road is known for its prostitutes... weather at its best in Oct.. very safe the hotel staff very protective of me as a single traveller..room very large ,and has a king bed

Room Tip: Book through emirites stop over package..much cheaper
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo