“Only worth the visit for the view.”
Review of Skyview Bar

Skyview Bar
Ranked #2 of 66 Nightlife in Dubai
More attraction details
Owner description: Quench your thirst at our lavish hideaway on top of the world. Soaring 200 metres above sea level, we do things differently on the 27th floor.From modern day classics to innovative cocktails, our master mixologists go to great lengths to seek out inspiration, drawing influence from the most unexpected places. The result is an eclectic drinks list that uses unique ingredients and inventive methods to create your cocktail, with each recipe closely guarded to ensure our menu is one of a kind. The views are no less exclusive; catch your reflection in the glittering lights of the Dubai skyline as you gaze out through floor to ceiling windows that surround the bar. The space inside Skyview has been designed for intimate conversations, and a rotating line-up of live music ensures the sights and sounds are as impressive as the beverages we shake up. Here, creating cocktails really is an art form.
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We went to the skyview bar for cocktails on our trip to Dubai. Firstly I have to say that the hotel its self is fabulous and well worth its reputation of a classy 7 star hotel. However our visit to the bar was not much better than going to the local pub in Australia.
I recommend you go to the hotel and sit in the foyer and watch the fountain and water show, dont bother with the expense of the rest.

When we arrived we taken straight to the bar to order drinks whilst awaiting our table. The bar staff were ever so helpful in accommodating our likes and dislikes and assisting us with drink selection. Within around 10minutes we were redirected to our table for the 3 of us and our drinks and complimentary nibbles were brought to our table. Although not a window table, as the place was still busy at 10.30pm at night, our spot on the couch provided ample opportunity to enjoy the view. This is where the 7 star service and experience ended. To sum up the entire experience, it was disappointing.
There is a minimum spend of $225(AED) per head, as a non drinker I was left with the choice of $65AED mocktails, $40AED soft drinks and a $40AED coffee. Most of the alcoholic drinks are close to and more than $100AED so it doesn’t take much to get to the minimum spend.
There is a strict dress code: “For gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, flip-flops; open and running, gym, tennis, basketball shoes, etc are not allowed.” Taken from http://www.jumeirah.com/en/Hotels-and-Resorts/Destinations/Dubai/Burj-Al-Arab/Restaurants-And-Nightlife/Skyview-Bar/. So in our very best holiday gear we managed to adhere with the dress code for both male and female.
Here is what we experienced:
• The table next to us and across from us had males in sneakers, and one of the females in thongs.
• No waiters or hotel staff came over to see if everything was satisfactory.
• My drink was nothing flash and I wasn’t enjoying it so I stopped drinking it at half a glass. I was ignored by the wait staff completely, even when they were asking the other 2 on the table what they would like next.
• Coffee – after waiting nearly 1 hour to get the attention of wait staff to order my second drink, I ordered the famous $40AED (approx 10AUD) coffee. I asked for a flat white coffee. I was given a lovely tea cup and matching coffee pot. They poured my coffee and proceeded to leave. I then had to ask for milk and sugar to be brought to the table. This coffee wasn’t worth the $40. It compared to a service station coffee. I dare to even suggest that a McDonalds McCafe coffee is better, and if you know what a McDonalds coffee is like, you can understand my disappointment.
• During our 2 hour stay as the lounge area emptied, we asked to be moved to a table near the window. We were advised that they couldn’t sit us there as they couldn’t add a third seat. Funnily enough, a few minutes before being brought the bill (which we didn’t ask for) a table of 3 next to us was moved to the same tables by the window that “couldn’t seat 3 people”. That was the ultimate straw that destroyed all hope we had for the bar.
• As stated above, once our combined total of $675AED was reached, the bill arrived on our table, we didn’t ask for it, or look like we were leaving. We however we hadn’t ordered a drink in close to 30minutes as no waiters came near enough for us to order a drink.
• The final ultimate thing that ruined the experience and degraded this venue was an obnoxious loud drunk at the bar. He was located behind our seat from before we arrived. He was one of the first things we noticed when we arrived, so he well and truly had had enough to drink. Through the entire two hours, he swore, was loud and very vocal as a drunk can be. He was hitting on other mens dates and wives and was quite settled in at the bar for the night. Not once did the staff or management come to apologise to us or the other patrons exposed to this. He was not quietened down or even removed from the premises. If I wanted to have the experience of a pub, I would have stayed in Australia. The bar at our hotel, didn’t even accept this sort of behaviour. The 2 other guests with me complained as we left and as I paid the bill, I approached the waiter who apologised ( after we had complained to him) and questioned again why nothing was down. Supposedly ‘Management has assessed the situation and decided nothing would be done’. Since when should a 7Star establishment who charges so much money for drinks allow this sort of behaviour. I was told they had no one in the bar who could get him to leave. I offered my services. A mere Australian female had the guts to do what the staff didn’t. I complained to the hostess as well asking if that within the entire hotel, there wasn’t 2 men who had the ability to escort him out. She advised that there was security coming as we spoke. We went to the lift and waited. 2 security staff came to the bar entrance but never went in, they went down in the lifts before us. As we were entering the lift the Bar manager came out to smooth over the situation. She kept apologising, but management were reluctant to ask him to leave as he was a regular. It seems regulars with money are more important than tourists that speak to all their family, friends and work colleagues and put their reviews on sites like this are more important. We may not have been in flashy outfits, we may not have had much money, but we were there to pay what they asked. But a local is more important. She advised he is a local who doesn’t spend much, but he is local so he is welcome to be loud, rude, obnoxious and offensive. And when I say local, I don’t mean a local UAE person, I mean he is an immigrant from another country who happens to live in Dubai. As we stood in the foyer and waited for a taxi, 1 small waiter escorted the man from the hotel. No trouble, no problems, he just helped him head in the right direction as he staggered out. Was that so hard? If it happened even 1 hour before we would have ignored the other disappointments, never written this review, and possibly spent hundreds more dollars.

The obnoxious drunk may have been a one of problem( but if he was a local i assume it wasnt the first time he was loud, rude and drunk), but the service wasnt 7 star, my 4 star hotel treated me better.

2  Thank Shazzgal
in 6 reviews
"palm"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Lunch at the restaurant definitely doesn't live up to anything spectacular compared to the hotel lobby (which is amazing!). We had to wait 20 min. just to be seated though we had a reservation, then waiting another 40 min. for starters just to find out that the gastronomy, sad to say, is not worth waiting for...

1  Thank Lise S
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Its goto be done, have a drink at one of the highest bars I have ever been in....express lifts take you to the floor of your choice and on the way back down.....aaaaargh. Drinks expensive, never had a chance to try the food. But well worth the try.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Such a beautiful hotel lobby. We were greeted with dates and washcloths when we entered. We were in a hotel nearby so our concierge made a reservation at the skyview bar for us. We had some fun fruity drinks, snack plates, and coffee. Everything was great including the view. I have to say I was surprised at the decor at the bar- kind of Star Trek meets Saturday Night Fever. I guess it makes sense if you look outside and see that everything is below you all lit up. The service was ok, but nothing exceptional. We saw some celebrities dining in a private area outside the lower restaurant. This is the place for everyone who is someone...and you!

1  Thank alibarbaraMilwaukee