“Stay away from this tour operator”
Review of Desert Rangers

$117.00*
Full-Day City Tour and Dhow Dinner Cruise in Dubai
Ranked #135 of 436 Outdoor Activities in Dubai
More attraction details
Owner description: Desert Rangers provides you one stop shop for desert adventures, team building activities, desert safari in dubai,Dune Buggy Safaris, Quad Bikking, Camel Trekking, Sand Boarding,with its own Desert Camp facilities, Dhow Cruises in Dubai Creek, Dubai Marina Cruises with 5 star services with its own fleet of 5 Luxury Dhow Boats.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We booked our trip from this operator on a package - city tour, desert safari, and the marina cruise. It costs a bit more but we want to experience dubai fully in our short stay.

First, we had a city tour. A van took us from our hotel and all others converge in a bus with others from different hotels. When the tour guide started to speak, everything goes awry. He always stopped talking in the middle of his sentence, maybe trying to think what to say in a particular place. All the people in the bus felt uncomfortable the whole trip.

Next is the desert safari. We were excited on this one, hoping to dose off bad trip on the morning. When the 4x4 came, there are already other guests inside and we were placed behind. Inside, the guy in the front and the ones in the middle are together, a family I guess. We noticed there's a baby! My wife and I chatted that they might drop someone with the baby along the way (there are 3 ladies in the middle) but we were dead wrong! Along the way, the driver and the guy in front talked in their own langguage (Indian) the whole time and never bothered to talk to us! The baby was passed repeatedly from the front (held by the guy) and sometimes with the ladies. When we reached the desert, all Desert Rangers 4x4's converged and we noticed that our 4x4 is the oldest vehicle and no sticker or something to identify it as desert ranger. We followed other 4x4's with the maneuvers in the dessert, with crying baby inside the whole time. It's ok to us but we also noticed the driver always makes a short cut (he always fell behind the pack of 4x4's) and avoiding the great paths the other 4x4's do. Very disappointing. We tried to talk to the driver but he just plainly ignored us and continued to talk to the other guy in their langguage. When we arrived at the dinner location, it's already late, missing the nice sunset we saw outside our window. Upon alighting to the vehicle, the driver talked to the others some instruction and they rushed inside to go the dining table and the driver still ignored us! My blood went up and shouted to the driver, "At least let us know where we should go!". He noticed my anger and suddenly became attentive and told us the number of our table.

It come to my conclusion that Desert Rangers "outsourced" us to the other 4x4 operator, which is a terrible one, to save some money or something. We booked this tour 2 weeks before and I don't know why they put us on this driver.

Stay away from Desert Ranger. There are other good operators that will really value their customers.

1  Thank Nirvana_x13
p_r_desert_rangers, Public Relations Manager at Desert Rangers, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Silverchair_13,

Thank you so much for writing your precious feedback. These help us to serve you better in future.
We are sorry that you felt that you had an unpleasant experience and we would like to clarify as per below.
We have spoke to other guests who participated in the city tour and have received no such similar complaint on the same day.
We suggest, in the future you book a private city tour for a more personalized service. Regarding your Desert Safari trip, we do not distinguish between men, women or children and we do not decide where they are seated, it is on a first come first served basis. Also, if there was a crying baby in the vehicle, this is out of our control and we apologize for the same.
Once again we would advice you to take indulge in a private car for a desert safari for extra attention.
We sincerely hope we get the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Unfortunately I booked a Hummer Safari whith desrt ranger in october 2012 but it was not worth the money you paid for it.In the beginning the company was not committed to the time she told us that the timing of Go between 3 and 3:30 pm, but the driver did not come until 4!.The driver did not tell us any thing about the journey or introduce his self to us. the dune bashing was boring and no exciting i think that the driver was not trained enough or enjoy driving madly.The main problem was in the camp. we coould not sit nearby the stage.they Told us that places are reserved for people they didnt came yet . we Tried to reach anyone responsible but the answer was there was no official here and the person who should complain to him is driver.We tried to search for him but he was not in camp so we sit very far from the stage and we did not enjoy the show.he came At the end of the trip to drop us to the hotel, and when we told him the problem answered a silly way that this camp was not own for desert ranger and it just was shared another company this day because the one who own was fully booked for a large tour group.I think that's not our fault. Frankly, I would not recommend this company to anyone else. my Advice to you going to another company if you want feel real excitement and pamper your self.

1  Thank dreamerrony
Suresh L, General Manager at Desert Rangers, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you very much for taking out time to give us you valuable feedback.
Feed backs always inspire us to serve better.

We always have someone responsible on site for your ease. However the particular day you are referring to, had over 300 passengers touring with us and this might be the reason no body was available to cater your requests. Although we have not received any complaints from other passengers on that day. However we understand and apologize for the fact that you were dissatisfied with the seating arrangements.

We would like to inform you that seating is prearranged by our operations team and we are unable to seat everybody at the front. We hope that you accept our apologies and give us a chance to serve you better next time.

Regards

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I booked this tour with some office friends so that we could relax and unwind over a weekend. And it was worth it. we started with dune bashing and it was so thrilling.
This one friend liked the quad bike rides over there and although some things cost extra but we didnt mind paying it coz it was worth it.
This another friend could not get enough of the entertainment shows there, the belly dance and the tanoura dancer.
It was an affordable yet enjoyable way to spend a weekend.. totally a good go.

1  Thank lithu s
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Copied from an earlier forum post that I wrote & was the inspiration for me joining Trip Advisor. Hopefully things have improved with this company since....

Unfortunately I did the Desert Rangers Dune Buggy Safari as part of my visit to Dubai in October 2010. Biggest waste of money ever! I have some experience with racing around on Dune Buggies & can highly recommend the Off Road Rush experience in Australia to anyone interested in trying this. But not the Desert Rangers experience in Dubai.

Talk about the ultimate bush mechanics! The front suspension of my buggy was tied on with rope! I have pictures to prove it! We were a group of 4. 3 of the vehicles broke down & did not complete the day. We had to finish the day in the 4wd guide vehicle. The first buggy (mine) only lasted half the session. Of course half the money was not refunded!

Prior to booking the experience I was in email contact with the operators from Australia. They advised me that the experience was one where you were free to drive yourself around the sand dunes & not follow each other around in a chain. Of course this proved to be incorrect & you were required to follow the guide in his 4wd at his pace - which is a lot slower than anything likely to get the heart racing.

I was advised by email that the buggies featured 800cc motorbike engines. As a motorbike rider, I am unfamiliar with too many bikes that have this capacity motor, but I went along with it nonetheless. The buggies actually had clapped out old 1.6 litre 4 cylinder car engines & automatic gearboxes - except for one which had a pull start lawnmower engine! I kid you not! When my first buggy broke down, I was moved into this buggy at the expense of the lady who was driving it at the time. She happily gave it up because the experience was not living up to her expectations & she figured she was better off in the air-conditioned guide vehicle.

I soon saw her point. After about 5 minutes of struggling to get up anything that the size of a speedbump, nevermind a sand dune, the fan belt actually blew up. The bush mechanics fixed it after about 20 minutes (of our drive time where the other participants had to just sit around & wait) but the buggy finally called it a day on a hill that it was simply not powerful enough to climb on the way back to our start point.

Only 1 buggy completed the day. Three others were left out in the sand dunes with various mechanical failures to be retrieved by the bush mechanics at a later time. We then endured a ride back to town where our guide spent the entire trip hitting on the poor girl in the front seat.

Unfortunately, I can't warn people off this experience enough. I was very excited about it when I booked it, but it was the biggest disappointment of my whole trip.

Suresh L, General Manager at Desert Rangers, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear TravelDooey,

Thank you so much for taking out your valuable time to write to us.
Fortunately, things have been improving a lot since you visited in 2010 or 2011 (as you have mentioned both the years).
We figure you and your group didn't enjoy much on the Dune Buggy Safari, hence we urge you to come visit the Dubai Desert with Desert Rangers once again.
You will be glad to realize the newly evolved services we have lined up for you.
We will hereby be gratified and honored to provide you with the best of Desert Safari Dubai services from here on.

Regards,

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We went on a deser safari with Desert Rangers.This was an absolute highlight of our trip to Dubai.We'd read dubious reviews beforehand and just hoped for the best when picking which company to go with.It was fantastic! Wecould not have made a better choice.We were picked up mid afternoon by our lovely driver in a comfortable and new Toyota Landcruiser and headed out to 4wd the sandhills.They were amazing. Our driver was superb and funny.The driving was like being on a rollercoaster and an absolute ball.Be warned though,don't eat too much before you go. We stopped in the desert to watch the sunset.What an overwhelmingly beautiful place it is.Almost surreal.It was breathtaking.We then headed on to our desert camp.It was really lovely.So pretty to look at, in the shadows of the sand dunes.Dinner was a delicious and plentiful buffet and our entertainment was truly superb.There was a whirling dervish who was absolutely fantastic.He was animated and brilliant and amazing to watch.Then followed a belly dancer who was stunning.She was not only beautiful but an incredibly good dancer who danced with passion and delight.We could have ridden a camel, smoked shisha or got a henna tattoo if we'd liked, but we were flat out being in awe of the desert.This was unexpectedly great and definitely a major highlight of our whole trip.The four other passengers in our car were all seasoned travellers and equally delighted by the whole experience.Highly recommended!

3  Thank funhunters