“Excellent Kerala food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The best Kerala food in town is available at Calicut Paragon. I just love their Chicken Biriyani and Fish molagitta curry. Its the right place for those of you who love spicy Kerala delicacies. It offers a wide choice of lip-smacking non veg dishes that you will want to keep going there.

1  Thank RemyaV
There are newer reviews for Calicut Paragon

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Come here often and this is my second review of the place. Tried the chicken biriyani and fried prawns this time. Can't complain. Great food as always. Try to be early for lunch or be prepared to wait for a seat.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is one of many Indian(Kerala style) restaurants in Dubai. But well, I suppose I can say that this is probably the best one at it and most of you would agree with me. I had visited this restaurant late one night, at around 11.30 pm expecting that it wouldn't be busy period. Boy how wrong I was, I had to wait 30 minutes to get a table. This place is not for ambiance or service for that matter, but just a great gastronomical experience. This place is 2 storied and the second floor where we seated opens in different rooms/areas with tables, very basic in outlook. We ordered the specials and we were totally blown away, so we kept ordering until we couldnt eat any further. We decided to leave and that is when the waiter mentioned of the special desert "Coconut pudding" and I thought I would try a bite. And there comes the pudding, this is by far the best desert I have ever eaten in any country any restaurant period. So we re ordered the same desert once more. While we were leaving we could see that people were still coming in, at midnight with kids and large families !!!!!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Prawns dry fry Malabari style, Mango & Fish Curry, Hamour Tawa fry, Appam+ChickenStew....mmmm....if there's a Kerala restaurant in Heaven, the food must taste pretty close to Paragon. We are regulars there and love the food. Ask the waiter for today's specials and you will be rewarded with off-menu specialties.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was one of my very best food experiences in the Arab States.
It's an instant trip to Kerala !
This storied restaurant has a rich history and food tradition - founded in 1939 in Calicut, Kerala.
[Read about Kerala in Wikipedia].
Many of the 'migrant workers' in the Gulf come from Kerala - and this is where they eat authentic soul food.

Order everything. Try everything. We expect to expand our list of "must haves"
The list includes:
1. Black Pepper fish - dry no gravy. Coconut and black pepper encrusted fish - at 35 AED perhaps the most expensive item. We had a local fish called Farsh. Stick to local fish !
2. Under appetizers is a spinach dish called 'Spinach Delight'. It is like a pakora with very low flour or binder. Deep fried, but light and airy. This dish is a must.
3. Try the whole fish in mango curry (called plachi fish), if available - it was the day's special
4. By all means, order the Appam (a rice flour bread) shaped like a flower. A cheap thrill at 1.5AED/piece. The Kerala Parotta, a multilayered bread is worth trying, too
5. The crab Thuswar was very good - but because of the gravy, a bit challenging to eat.
Next time we will order these super fresh crabs fried dry and encrusted with pepper and coconut .
6. If you are seeking a cheap eat - a fish curry thali costs 15AED.

So, we long for the day to return. Next time we'll surely try the fish biriyani ! We are passionate about authentic food and this restaurant is one of the best we have found - anywhere. If you crave spice and authenticity this is a great place to go ! Makes me want to visit Kerala.

For a menu see: http://www.zomato.com/dubai/calicut-paragon-al-karama/menu#menutop

2  Thank Guide_to_Great_Meals