“Nothing special about the food… sit outside if you decide to visit”
Review of Ping Pong

Ping Pong
Ranked #604 of 9,665 Restaurants in Dubai
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Dubai
Hong Kong, China
“Nothing special about the food… sit outside if you decide to visit”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The food and service was average at best… the décor nothing to write home about. But, the outdoors seating offers great views of the Dubai fountains where you could catch an afternoon or evening water fountain show.

Had heard reviews like “best dimsum in town”…and ended up being disappointed with this place. Being a Hong Kong resident, perhaps my expectations for dimsum are high and I believe they don’t claim to be an “authentic” Chinese restaurant. The menu is not extensive, but sufficient (and also good number of options for vegetarians) and the food is just okay.

Not something I would recommend if you are on a short visit to Dubai and looking for great dining experiences.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Kanwalkwilltravel

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Quality and service declined”
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Visited in oct 2012 amazing know the quality and service just dropped a damn shame.
Another let down in Dubai go somewhere else.

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
“Sit outdoors by the Fountains”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was my first time at Ping Pong. My wife had been to one in London, and hear there is one in Washington, DC as well. It seems they are all over the world. We enjoyed it very much. Excellent vegetarian options, our waiter told us one that wasn't even on the menu - all very delicious. Drinks were good as well. We had reservations for the Burj Khalifa "At the Top" observation deck at 10:30am, came down from the tower at 12:45pm and went to Ping Pong for lunch, when we caught the afternoon Fountain show from the outdoor seating area at Ping Pong.

Visited January 2013
Leiden, The Netherlands
“Great Dim-Sum, great view!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Ping pong is a nice, trendy dim sum restaurant with reasonable prices, a young and (mostly) smooth service and a terrace overlooking the famous fountains. The restaurant offers an extensive collection of dim-sums. Good for lunch, great for dinner. No reservations but if you're get there early, you can usually find a good spot.

• Visited February 2013
Dubai
“This one had its good days”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

When Ping Pong first opened in 2009, my friends and I were regulars. We ooh'd and aah'd at its fusion take on Chinese food and their flowering teas were a novelty. We even had an office party there one time.

We were over the moon when they introduced Lazy Fridays (all you can eat dimsum for 135dhs -- food only).

After some time, however, Ping Pong just went off the radar as newer novelty restaurants opened.

However my last visit on the 3rd Friday of January confirmed my suspicions: This gem has definitely lost its luster.

I dined there on a Friday evening and the restaurant was only less than half full. The place was still dimly lit, which, back then, gave it an air of trendiness but that night just made it depressing.

Majority of servers were in blue shirts, which meant that they were trainees... which meant that the perky, smart servers from years back probably moved on. And it showed. I was lucky to be served by one very honest Arab guy who helped me navigate my way through the choices (I pretended to not know it just to test him). As before, the food took a while to arrive but this time, it failed to give me an impression that "Oh, sorry it took a while... our kitchen is overwhelmed because we are full" because the restaurant was not full at all. I ordered rice... plain rice... to go with my soup and that one took forever to come.

The fried dimsum was overly greasy...I ordered the fried squid and another fried dimsum. BOth left a really nasty film of oil on my tongue and spoiled the rest of the dishes for me. The steamed dimsum was generally ok. I wasn't over the moon. The wrappers on some of them broke apart too easily... a firm wrapper was usually my mark of a good hargao.

If there was a word to describe my experience, it was "let down" or "uninspired".

Not that I want to pick a fight but PingPong has never touted itself as a restaurant for authentic Chinese dimsum. I hope they do pick themselves up soon.

• Visited January 2013