“Travelers Beware”

Ranked #3 of 549 Hotels in Dubai
Istanbul, Turkey
“Travelers Beware”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is a warning for travelers considering a stay at the “One and Only” resorts in Dubai. The “One and Only” positions itself as a high end luxury resort, which would lead you to believe that care and concern for guests are a high priority. My experience as a guest there in January suggests otherwise. To start, the check-in process at the “One and Only Royal Mirage” was long and frustrating. Confusion about rooms and a long wait while the desk clerk fumbled with the paperwork was only the beginning. Little did I know that things were about to become much worse.

As a result of conflicting and erroneous information that I was given by a hotel employee I was late for an appointment with a business colleague who I was to meet in the lobby of the “One and Only Palm”, the adjacent property. I entered the lobby and was looking for my colleague when I tripped into an open fountain that sits in the middle of a walkway. There are no safety measures to protect guests from this hazardous obstruction.

I suffered what was a devastating injury to the major muscle and tendon in my right leg, which required emergency surgery at a Dubai hospital and a subsequent air ambulance airlift out of Dubai for further surgery on my leg. I was discharged after an inpatient hospital stay of over 8 weeks. I have been in daily physical therapy for months since my discharge in an attempt to regain full use of my right leg.

Sometimes accidents happen. What is appalling is that the “One and Only” chain has shown a total disregard for the magnitude of my injury and has denied any culpability for the hazardous condition that caused it. My requests for reasonable consideration have fallen on deaf ears. They have been totally unwilling to accept any responsibility for the hazardous condition even though (so I’ve been told) they were subsequently forced to make certain changes by the local government.

This hotel company and the behavior of its management are, in my opinion, among the worst I have ever encountered. As a corporate CEO it has been my privilege to stay at some of the finest hotels in the world and I would rank the “One and Only” at the very bottom of the list.

To suffer an injury of this magnitude and have the property management totally uncaring and dismissive makes this a place, in my opinion, to avoid at all costs. Again, travelers beware.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
15 Thank Robert K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
kent uk
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed three nights here after a week in the Maldives.Have visited several hotels in Dubai and
this rates as one of the best,They gave us a very warm welcome and as I had hurt my foot in the Maldives took great care bringing a wheelchair to the car for me to use during our stay and had ice packs delivered to our room every night.
The food was excellent as was the service,rooms were beautiful with luxurious furnishing and enormous bathroom,
We would definitely visit the One & Only ,Dubai again and recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank honoreve
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We spent two nights in Heaven at the One and Only Palm Dubai. To celebrate our 42nd anniversary.
From the moment we checked in we were treated like Royals we were given an orientation tour by our Host and shown the Spa, restaurants, beach, pool, and the gardens. Everything was clean, beautifully laid out, and an air of serenity infused in the atmosphere.
Our room was awesome. The website images do not capture the magnificence of the space and opulence. Huge bathroom and large balcony gave us the feeling we had found luxury beyond the 5 star system.
We lunched and breakfasted at Zest a relaxed atmosphere with excellent service and food.
On our first night we dined at Stay more formal, great food, fantastic staff and a fabulous dessert chef. On display in the restuarant he prepared his dishes. To choose your dessert you are invited to his table were you sample ingredients before making your selection. A great piece of culinary theatre.
Our second night we dined at 101. A great bar, restuarant located at the end of a causeway on a little island with mooring for boats, magnificent views of Dubai and its beach skyline accompanied the good food and service. The final to this meal was a celebration cake (make sure you let reception know when checking in of any birthday etc )
On return to our room our bed had been decorated with towel swans and rose petals. A great end to a perfect day.
We also had room service. The breakfast was delivered in style all hot food was perfectly prepared. A delightfull way to start the day.
Our beach and pool experience was also excellent. Attentive staff prepared sun beds supplied endless iced water, cold flannels, cold pineapple and sunglasses cleaning.
The cost. Forget the credit crunch. And enjoy a little piece of Heaven.
Tips
Book 101 early a busy place. Visited also by non residence

• Stayed September 2013
Porto, Porto, Portugal
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Last August we stay in the One&Only the Palm, Dubai, for 3 days, after our hollidays in Seychelles. The hotel is really good, the service, rooms, swiming pool and other facilities really amazing. But the restaurants are superb! With chef Yannicke Allleno to have a meal in the hotel is a fantastic experience!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Angelacarneiro
Warrington, England
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have to say that initially when I arrived at the hotel, albeit at 2am, we were met with the man who liked to say no... And he did to pretty much everything.

The day after though two managers sorted everything out and more. The room was changed for a truly outstanding one and it quickly became apparent that this is a hotel with a difference.

The beach is like being on a desert island, the pool just idyllic, the fitness centre fantastic, the rooms outstanding and the staff could not do more to make your stay pleasurable.

Overall I have really enjoyed the One and Only. Previously I have stayed at the Burj and Ritz Carlton. For me this hotel is far superior for a relaxing break.

If you want a little piece of tranquility in the midst of a concrete jungle then this may very well be the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice getaway. Far from all the busy Dubai life. It's a classy well maintained resort. Very comfortable and luxurious. Rooms are spacious. Bathroom was fantastic. Nice view. It is a quiet hotel with few rooms and little dining choices. Some would consider this as an advantage and some wouldn't. I would say depending on what you are looking for. Staff is very friendly. Though we encountered an incident at checkout, as we were rudely asked to leave the room immediately at 1pm despite the fact that we had agreed on a late checkout on the day of arrival at 2 am. I would take this as a one junior receptionist action and would not rate everything based on that, especially when someone else more senior had called us back and offered to keep the room until 4pm. I will stay in this hotel again be it as a family trip or an intimate holiday. However keep in mind that prices are in the upper end. So make it count. Cheers

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Zmardam
United States
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is my fifth visit to Dubai. Each time I chose a different hotel to try and compare. And the One & Only The Palm is the second best, behind its older sister O&O Residence and Spa (see also my other review of this latter).

The location of O&O The Palm is not very convenient, at the far end of the palm leaf. It takes more than 30 minutes drive from there to the Mall of the Emirates for example. Sure, it is a beautiful estate, tastefully and elegantly decorated in modern middle eastern style. Every details inspire luxury and sobriety. Rooms are located either in the 2 floors main building or in 1 floor mansions scattered throughout the property. Each mansion hosts 8 rooms, 2 of them having private pool. The rooms are spacious, nicely fitted and quite comfortable. I chose to book a beach mansion, but frankly the beach is not that terrific, so it does not worth the extra paid for that.

There are 3 restaurants in the hotel; the "101" is a waterfront restaurant serving mediterranean food and seafood - I did not try it; the "Zest" is the main restaurant serving breakfast and international food; and the "Stay" is a fine dining restaurant by 3 Michelin stars chef Yannick Alléno. Breakfast buffet is good, but dinner at "Zest" is mundane. Food served at "Stay" is delicious, I love the deserts prepared by pastries chef Kevin Lacote, right inside the dining room, in front of the guests.

I've tried the spa once. Choices in spa menu is a little bit limited in my opinion, but spa treatment performed by therapists is good. My kid found the Kids Club so-so, activities proposed are not quite exciting, while some interesting ones could not be provided, due to lack of materials!

Compared to the O&O Residence and Spa, the Palm is missing something which would give it a soul. It's probably mainly due to the staff. When I was at O&O R&S, I really felt at home, among good friends. Everyone greeted me by my name and are genuinely friendly. At the Palm, some staffs are nice and warmful, others are cold and unhappy to say the least (especially Russian/Eastern European staff). The private transfer provided by the hotel is subcontracted to a third party company, which fails lamentably to offer the level of service as expected from O&O (no greetings, no water, no refreshing towel, mute and antipathetic drivers who almost threw guests out of the car upon arrival,...). This is a shame since it tarnishes the overall good impression left by the hotel (especially the room and the restaurant "Stay") and it does not encourage me to come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a "double double" room, it is larger than the normal one.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family