“Disappointing”

Ranked #101 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Lexington, Kentucky
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I'm glad my company paid for this hotel and not me. It was very disappointing - for a wanna be 5 star hotel, it barely makes 3 in my book. The room was large and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom is tiny and has this strange frosted glass window from the shower into the sleeping area. If I were sharing the room with a friend or colleague, that would be very awkward. The hotel is right in the flight path to the airport, although the rooms are rather well insulated and you can't hear very much aircraft noise. The pool is small but clean.

My main complaint is the lack of service. The concierge is useless, and the front desk staff don't really know what they are doing either. Same for the spa staff - there are no brochures about any of the services and the staff didn't know about the different services when I asked. It's also quite expensive. There are no nice restaurants in the area, so the hotel restaurant is your best bet for good food. The bar was under staffed as well.

Overall, I'm underwhelmed. I won't be staying here again.

5 Thank wingedkitty
Anke G, General Manager at AVANI Deira Dubai Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
I am sorry to read about your disappointing experience during your stay with us. First and foremost, please do accept my sincerest apologies. I was most concerned to read about the lack of service by our team members and wanted to assure you that I have personally addressed the shortfalls as you mentioned to ensure we are able to meet guests’ expectations. One again, we are truly sorry for the shortfalls and do hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back soon again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Meudon-la-Foret, France
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

The staff is very welcoming and helpful. The room was perfectly clean, and there was no noise (even if the airport is very near).
It is just a five minutes walk from a metro station, but it is a little bit far from the main attraction (50 minutes from burj khalifa by metro). I would recommend it, I think it is good value for money.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank keure92
Anke G, General Manager at AVANI Deira Dubai Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for rating us practically perfect and recommending us for good value for money. We hope to be your host again on your next visit to Dubai.
Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2014

On one corner of a busy intersection, the hotel is quiet and calming. The food in the restaurant is above average and good value for money. I found the spa to be on the expensive side, but the level of service is very good. The roof-top pool is clean and although there are only 6 lounge chairs, bean bag loungers are available. The hotel is on the final approach flight path so it is interesting to see them from the pool area and the noise level is not too bad from the rooms...You do notice the noise but only slightly. Deluxe rooms are spacious but the bathrooms are small. There is a bath as well as a shower. Overall, service was excellent from check-in to check-out and the 'chocolate hour' in the lobby from 5-6 is a nice touch. Recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
It is a pleasure to read your recommendation posted on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to learn that you liked the hotel and found our services provided excellent. We are always glad when guest appreciates our Swissness “the daily chocolate hour”. We look forward to welcoming you again to the hotel.
Uzes, France
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed here for 6 days. Very spacious room (but a tiny bath!) and everything worked fine.
The only real drawback was the bar. Cold and impersonal, even though it is modeled on Fashion TV, it was very impersonal,. I ordered some food at the bar (no one else in the place) and the first time it took an hour to arrive and the second 45 minutes!

Front office staff very helpful, as were the bell captain's people.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 304! A strange tapping noise that we were unable to locate kept me awake for s...
1 Thank Airportroamer
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay. I am truly sorry to read about the delay in the food delivery as well as the overall atmosphere in Fashion Lounge. Please rest assured we have addressed your feedback with our concessionaire for their reference and action. Thank you for mentioning the strange noise in Room 304. Our Technical Team is investigating this point to be able to rectify and provide a soundless hotel experience. On the overall, it was good to learn that you found our rooms very spacious and that everything else worked fine during your stay.
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Satisfied with my stay, the facilities and rooms could have been slightly better but the hotel still manage to maintain a good standard. Very welcomed and assisted by the staff and a special thank you and appreciation to "Mibsam Hazel" working in the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
It was surely our pleasure serving you and I am glad to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. It was also good to learn that Mibsam and Hazel made you feel welcomed and assisted you with all your needs. Your comments shared with all team members especially Mibsam and Hazel. We do look forward to your next visit.
iran
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

When I first got here, the area made me doubtful about the level of quality I should expect. However it quickly became obvious that the hotel certainly deserves to be a 5 star. The restaurant food is very good, lots of variety. The staff are calm and polite. Even though the area is not as posh as certain other areas in Dubai, but it is close to the airport and it makes a good change to see the real side of Dubai. I would say the hotel is certainly suitable for business and also pleasure. But it would not be my first choice if I was traveling with my family. I found it a peaceful place to rest and work in. It is a bit far from places like Dubai Internet City where I had meetings, takes about 30 mins by taxi, but it can be quite pleasant to be driven from one end of Dubai to another if there is not too much traffic. In summary, I am very satisfied.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank taksavar
Anke G, General Manager at AVANI Deira Dubai Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for sharing your initial experience with us on the Trip Advisor community. I am glad to hear that we were able to reverse your impression. We really do appreciate your positive comments about our food and our team members. We look forward to having you back on your next business trip to Dubai.
Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Arrived on a ten day holiday with my three daughters aged 9, 14 and 18.
From the beginning we were indulged to the most friendly, personal and entusiastic approach from the staff. The restaurant staff were extremely good. We would specially like to mention Mibsam Shetty Hazel and Pritam which are in their own leaque! But everybody were much above average. Food were fantastic always fresh and varied. The beds in the room are wonderful, staff in gym. I could go on for ever. Best hotel experience ever! Thank you!

Stayed February 2014
Anke G, General Manager at AVANI Deira Dubai Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for posting such a fantastic review. It is great to read you enjoyed our hospitality and the food. Your comments have been shared with the team and in particular Mibsam, Hazel and Preetam. Thank you again on behalf of Moevenpick Hotel Deira Team.