“Walking distance (sort of) to outdoor night market/riverside restaurants”

AVANI Deira Dubai Hotel
Ranked #115 of 555 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I transited through Dubai a year ago and still recall the highlights of my one-night stay: humongous rooms with cavernous, marble-top bathrooms, friendly and efficient front desk staff, about 1-km walk to night market/outdoor restaurants on the riverside. Getting a taxi in the early morning required a bit of extra time/patience, due in part to the funky location of the off-street entrance, but check-out was seamless. I recommend staying here, but note there is a lot of competition for name-brand hotels close to the airport in the same price range.

Room Tip: Good luck getting a smoke-free room
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SageAdvisor
Anke G, General Manager at AVANI Deira Dubai Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you for sharing your February 2012 stay experience with us. Your detailed description and feedback of our services is noted and we are pleased to read that on the overall we were able to meet with your expectations. Your comments and suggestions have been addressed with the Team here for their reference as well as actions. It would be our pleasure to be of service to you again in the not to distant future.

There are newer reviews for AVANI Deira Dubai Hotel

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here on a stopover for 2 nights and it was really very good. Close to the airport, so convenient, but the noise doesn't bother you in the rooms. Fabulous staff who make you feel like royalty. Nothing is a problem and all done with a smile. The rooms are big and luxurious and great beds. We slept like babies. Very good value and many thanks to all the staff.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mandy R

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We are glad to read you have enjoyed your stay in the hotel. Your comment on the comfort of the beds and our fabulous colleagues is noted. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My family including children and grandchildren, together 8 persons had a great week in Dubai, January 14th to jan 21st 2013. Fantastic city and a fantastic hotel with serviceminded personel. Anything was possible, they made a special birthdaycake since my granddaughter had her 7th birtday during the week. They fixed tickets to Burj Khalifa and not to mention their helpfulness when getting transport/taxi for 8 persons. I can really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank AnnaGreta171
Michael N, General Manager at AVANI Deira Dubai Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear AnnaGreta171,

Thank you for your kind review. The team was delighted to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us here at the Mövenpick Hotel Deira. We all hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again on your next visit to Dubai.

Warm Regards,

Michael Nugent

Reviewed January 21, 2013

When I arrived the Moevenpick Deira following a long and uncomfortable 16-hour flight, the hotel staff fumbled for fifteen minutes and then told me that they didn't have a room for me because a flight crew had unexpectedly extended their stay. They said they'd move me to a sister property. I was exhausted and not exactly happy, but I understand that problems sometimes emerge, and I said okay to the transfer. Of course, the extra travel through Dubai's rush hour further extended an already long two days of travel.

The sister property is The Moevenpick Hotel Apartments The Square. It isn't comparable to the Deira. It has a bathroom that I'd expect to find at a lower market Holiday Inn Express and has an unwanted kitchenette. It is a far cheaper property, the staff were rude upon my arrival (somehow implying that the inconvenience was my fault), my room is on the first floor, overlooking a busy road with loud traffic, and it's comicly sterile. To top it off, this property is a third cheaper than my original reservation, which I had booked and pre-paid through Hotels.com. They did not offer any refund or provide any gesture to mitigate the dislocation they imposed on my visit to Dubai. At the very least they should have offered to comp my dinner. Nothing but a snide, sneered comment about how they were trying to help me when they couldn't process my pre-paid reservation

This is my first and last time staying at a Moevenpick hotel. I usually stay at the Hilton Dubai Creek when I'm in Dubai. I've also stayed at the Meridien and Raffles. Those other hotels put the Moevenpick Square to shame.

Both the Deira and The Square should be embarrassed at their lousy treatment of their guests, and I recommend other travelers to look elsewhere in Dubai for accommodation. There are many excellent hotels in Dubai. This is not one of them -- based on customer service, alone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank RoswellExpat
Anke G, General Manager at AVANI Deira Dubai Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

I am most concerned to learn about your disappointing stay experience with us and at the outset I would like, once again, offer my sincerest apologies for the shortfalls you experienced and any inconvenience caused.
Your e-mail to my attention was therefore greatly appreciated as it did give us a chance to apologize and rectify where required. I sincerely do hope you will make us of our offer and we do look forward in having an opportunity to regain your confidence in our services soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife and I and two daughters had a very good week from January 2nd 2013. We arrived at 2:00 am and got to our rooms immediately and the service, welcome and attentiveness of ALL the staff throughout our stay was a real pleasure.We felt genuinely welcomed from the moment we booked to the day we left. We had two rooms on the 3rd floor facing out on to the road. Yes you can hear the planes flying over but that would be the same for all hotels in this part of town and we quite enjoyed watching Dubai life go by. Our sleep was not disturbed. We chose the hotel as the location is a good base for getting around the city and was very good value.The Creek is only a short taxi ride away and the metro is 100 metres away....perfect for getting about! Local shops provide all you might need. The large rooms are well fitted and better than the photos. The large beds are firm but comfortable with quality linen and big soft pillows.We slept very well. The courtesy bus to The Oceana was a bonus but the 3:00 return time was too early....a bit later please. The pool is small but we always managed to swim and find a spot to relax. Breakfasts were good and plentiful. A big thank you to Yeni for answering my many questions prior to arrival, to Alvin for his endless patience in booking our Dune Safari (fantastic fun) and to Cha on the front desk and all the the restaurant staff.
Overall we couldn't fault the hotel as they did so much so well. We would most certainly recommend the hotel and look forward to returning again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ScoobyS55
Michael N, General Manager at AVANI Deira Dubai Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Dear ScoobyS55,

Thank you for having taken the time to write such a nice review on TripAdvisor. The hotel team is always delighted to read about the fact that our guests enjoyed their stay with us. We always seek improvement and new ways to please our guests in order to get more rewarding reviews.

We hope to welcome you and your family again in Moevenpick Hotel Deira sooner or later.

Have a fantastic day ahead,

Warm Regards,

Michael Nugent

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I wanted to take my wife away for her 50th Birthday as a surprise...I know she wanted to go to Dubai, so I went hunting for a suitable resort to stay. I must be honest, this was not my first choice as I really wanted to stay on or close to the beach, but what the hotel lacked in 'the wow factor' it more than made up for in other areas, and on reflection, im glad I didnt stay at my first choice resort. I had emailed ahead to (cheekily) ask about the possibility of an upgrade bearing in mind the occassion, and they were very accomodating in upgrading us to a very nice suite and even took the trouble to send up a lovely bunch of flowers and a Birthday cake for my wife!. The suite (as was the entire hotel) was spotless and very well appointed, every member of staff from the guys (and girls) on the front desk, to the bell hops, the gym/pool attendants, the guys in the restaurants were always friendly, helpful and accomodating..nothing was too much trouble for any of them. Talking of the restaurants, there was always a great selection available whether it be breakfast or the evening meal and always spot-on...even for a fuss pot like me. Should you feel the need for sneeky supplies of chocolate or Pringles, theres a big, 24hr store just across the street, but beware crossing the roads...the cars can u-turn at traffic lights, and do frequently and if your not expecting it it might catch you out...nearly squashed me twice...(so I sent the wife after that!!)
The location of the hotel could be perceived as a problem for some and its fair to say it probably wouldnt be suitable for families with kids, but only because of the distance from the 'main attractions' and because it is located on a very busy intersection, there are however, always taxis available from the hotel and they are fairly reasonable (50dhr to Emirates Mall...about £10, 40Dhr to Dubai Mall...about £8) but beware if your faint-hearted, the taxi drivers know only one way to drive...WORP SPEED!. But they are plentiful, safe and quick and all the drivers can speak English and the cars are all metered. We took advantage of the local Metro station which is only a 2 minute walk down the road, you can get an all day pass to travel for about 16dhr (about £3) The trains/ stations are also spotless and fast,but beware they are very busy and if you choose to travel 'cattle class'! you'll more than likely end up standing very close to a bunch of others! You can opt to travel 'Gold' class which is a little more expensive, the seating is much plusher, but in reality you'll just end up standing next to a better class of passenger!. There are also separate carrages for women and children which is a nice touch. Once you get to grips with the basics, its very easy to get about and most of the major attractions can be reached by the Metro, the only exceptions being Burj Al Arab, The Marina and Palm Jumeriah, but at the rate they are building, im sure its only a matter of time!.
If I had to mention any negative points about the hotel...and these are very minor!. I had to log on with a new code/ password every day to access the WiFi which was a total pain, but I was reliably informed that it was a temporary glitch, and future guests should just have one pin for their entire stay. Of course to address this, you have the use of the beach at the Oceania Beach Club on the Palm which is fab! Plus the free bus runs from the hotel 3 times a day. The other is the plane noise when your using the roof-top pool...when your in the hotel (in my opinion) the plane noise is bearly audiable and certainly didnt detract from our stay or cause any sleepless nights.

To sum up In a nutshell...brilliant hotel, great staff, great food but bank on using transport to get anywhere unless your happy to hike!! We'd go back, no problem!

Phil & Lynette
Cardiff

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Phil R
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed Dec 22 to 28, 2012. Check-in was easy and fast with helpful staff, who explained all the amenities. Very nice to be offered refreshing fruit drinks as we waited, having arrived after a 14 hour flight from home and had a very long wait at airport customs line. We had room 317, which was large and roomy (pictures attached). Room nicely divided with bathroom away from bed, good concept. Room was clean, modern and quiet. Bed was very large and comfortable. We had good nights sleep, while there. Breakfast at Jigsaw was tasty and lots of variety from cereals/breads to cheeses/yogurts to selection of eggs with meats to brunch type foods. Deserts good. Best of all, the hotel had the world famous Movenpick ice cream for a small charge. Staff very quick to clean up and offer refills. We also has Christmas eve dinner there with great food. Trip to Oceana at the Palm Jumeirah was wonderful. Shuttle leaves every day at 9:30 and 11:00 am and returns at 3:00, about a 30 min drive each way. Big beach with crystal clear waters and all the amenities, chairs, towels and restaurant. Wonderful shuttles to malls. We went to City Centre. Hotel close to metro, which we used often as well as taxi. Concierge staff at hotel are the best, helpful with our questions, and made our stay more pleasant. Hotel next to supermarket, so we could get water etc. We looked at gym and pool on roof, although they were amazing, we had no time for them. Overall, this Swiss hotel was perfect and lived up to its statement, "Passionately Swiss." Great job to management. Next trip to Dubai, we will stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple