“Great gym and rooftop pool are just two of the amenities that set this hotel apart from other, similar Dubai properties”

Movenpick Ibn Battuta Gate Hotel Dubai
Ranked #35 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed April 25, 2013

While the location of Ibn Battuta Gate hotel may not be ideal relative to other hotels, which are on the beach, at the Marina or near the Dubai Mall, this property has several amenities which set it apart.
Firstly, the gym is terrific. New cardio machines with TV monitors, TechnoGym weight machines, free weights, cables and a stretching room - all with views from the 8th floor. I was thrilled to be able to keep up with my weight/cardio workout while staying here on business, and I would not have been able to do so at many of the other hotels where I have stayed in Dubai.
The rooftop pool is also more than large enough (and quiet enough) to swim laps, and it is open until 10pm.
The rooms seem to be sound-proofed, as I never heard a peep from my neighbors or anyone in the hall, but maybe because I had a corner room.
The main restaurant serves food buffet style, but the quality of the food is better than you will find at most other similar properties.
The staff - front desk, housekeeping, catering, etc. - are all incredibly helpful and nice.
The meeting facilities are nice but we had a couple of communication glitches with the Meeting staff, which ended up in some minor logistics issues.
The downsides to this place are the view and the rather isolated location.

Room Tip: See if you can get a corner room.
1 Thank hamburgdude
Michael N, General Manager at Movenpick Ibn Battuta Gate Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I appreciate the fact that you enjoyed our gym facilities and that they have aided your workout. Also, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our pool and the quietness of our rooms as we strive to provide our guests with peaceful and relaxing atmosphere where they can unwind let go of daily stresses.

I will pass on your regarding our team members to concerned departments.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Regards,

General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at hotels on Jumeriah beach and whilst they can be more expensive, its worth it. My view from this hotel was very industrial. Added to that, there are limited sunbathing opportunities given location of the pool / lounge area between the high rise Walls on the 8th fl.
That all out the way, this is otherwise a fab choice of hotel- I'd definitely consider a movenpick again.
Biggest positives were it's unique decor and authentic style, fabulously large and well equipped gym and wonderful lobby area with choice of many restaurants. Free shuttle to Oceana Beach Club - worth the visit.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad to hear that the experience that we have provided you with persuaded you to consider staying with us again. I am glad to hear that you appreciated our décor, gym facilities and dining options. Also, I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed Oceana Beach Club.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Regards,

fife
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in February. We upgraded to a suite and the room was brilliant and a lovely large balcony. One of the nicest actual rooms we have stayed in. Although I think a turn down service at 5 o'clock is a very early. Please be aware though that because you upgrade at the hotel you do not get all the suite extras, like transport to the airport, free wifi etc. This was not explained to us at the time and only after we tried to book transport to the airport and check in online to check in for return flight did we find out.

The hotel pool was closed for maintenance when we were there and we had access to the residents pool, which was nice but there was nowhere to have a drink or a snack except at your lounger. Yet there was this big space which could easily have been used for a few tables so you could get out of the sun for a cooling drink. We mentioned this to the waiter and he said it was only temporary using this pool but temporary for the hotel was not temporary for us as it was closed for all but the last day of our 7 day holiday.

The staff in the bar in the main hall were very inefficient and did not come out to serve you and they did not seem to collect empties either. We mentioned this one day to a manager and the problem was resolved immediately and he came back the next day to check that all was okay.

These were the negatives but the main bar was great, lovely at night and brilliant service. All the restaurants except for the buffet were fantastic the Friday brunch was amazing and the fact that it was included in AI was an added bonus. Would recommend AI as it also covers you in all the restaurants.

We are not beach people and were unsure when we drove up but it was very good and plenty of sun beds.

We knew the location before we came so this was not a problem and this is reflected in the price of the hotel and we would not rule out coming again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Mövenpick Hotel Ibn Battuta Gate with the Trip Advisor community. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed our room.

As for the issue you have experienced in regards to the airport transfer and complimentary wifi, please note that it has been addressed with the front office to prevent such inconveniences from occurring in future.

On the other hand, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our restaurants and dining options, as well as access to the private Oceana Beach Club on the Palm Island.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Best regards,

Michael Nugent,
General Manger
ohio
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed here for five nights as part of a business meeting.

Good
Room was comfortable, clean, very quiet, plenty of toiletries. My single room had one room with tub, sink and toilet, and another room with sink and shower.
Food was excellent - amazing variety of foods in the breakfast and lunch buffets - all high quality, fresh, well prepared - to suit just about any taste
Gym - had plenty of equipment - about four each of treadmills, cross trainers, bikes, stairmasters and also a room for free weights, yoga mats, etc.
Roof top pool (not actually on the roof) is long enough to swim laps (30 meters) and has lane lines painted in the bottom - and is lit at night - the perfect time to swim !
Service was excellent - all were very attentive

Downsides - not much storage space in room for hanging clothes,
View is either the mall or a huge power and desalianization plant with the ocean in the distance
Location isn't fantastic - not close to anything except the mall and a metro stop - about a 15 - 20 minute taxi ride to anything at all (about 50 dirhams, $14 US)
AC has a hard time keeping up if you keep your curtains open, so I had to keep them closed if I was in the room after about 2:00
Meeting rooms - not well insulated- could hear too much of what was happening in the meeting next door.

Tip - the mall across the street isn't fabulous like the Mall of the Emirated or Dubai Mall, but has a grocery store where you can find a wide variety of foods, and cut down on your food bill. AND in the mall is a good display of Arabic historical contributions and about the local Marco Polo, Ibd Battuta - very interesting.

If you don't mind being away from most of the attractions, this a a very nice place to stay.

2 Thank Elizabeth B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback.

I appreciate the fact that you enjoyed the cleanliness and the amenities of our rooms. It’s great to learn that you enjoyed our food options and gym facilities and pool. I would like to thank you for praising our staff, as we always look into ways to improve and maintain our service. As per your comment regarding the insulation of the meeting rooms, it is well noted and taken into consideration by the concerned departments.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here for 10nights on business and enjoyed most of my time here. Firstly, i was quite glad to be picked up by the hotel-arranged luxurious-&-almost-new mercedes at the airport upon my arrival. At the hotel, the check-in was a breeze as i was attended by warm and welcoming staffs at the front desk. The lobby is situated at the weird corner from the main entrance but the overall arabic decoration is soothing and calming. Once i got into my room, it is nicely spaced with all the necessary amenities provided. You could tell the personal touch they add in the way they furnish up the room. However, it comes with 2 separate bathrooms which i do not quite understand. Perhaps it is due to size constraint in general.

The best thing in the room is the bed. I fell asleep almost instantly everytime the moment i lie on the king-sized with super cosy linened bed. Also, they provide CISCO desk phones with personalised caller ID and pre-programmed numbers that you might need. There are also many socket points around the room so that you can charge all your devices at one go!

The next best thing is the food! Bfast buffet is awesome with lots of variety. I never get bored with the selection after so many times. Even the other restaurants like italian and indian are pretty good. Some say the chinese restaurant is not bad but i personally do not think so. The dishes that need more technics to cook eg. xiao long bao, dim sum, peking duck, etc are nowhere near the originals. One downside i encountered with one of the serving staff was his body odor, though he was attentive and friendly. I never return ever since. Of course not forgeting is the in room dining which is great too, you will never need to go hungry if you miss any of your meals outside.

No doubt that the hotel location is a little out of the way but it is still pretty convenient to get to the city via taxi and subway. The Ibn Battuta Mall is right opposite the hotel and you can find almost everything there without the need to head all the way to Dubai Mall or Mall of Emirates for just regular shopping.

Nothing is perfect and there's always room for improvement. The only thing i hope to see different here is the level of treatment service staffs give to different groups of customers, from different countries. This may not be just a movenpick issue but in general in this city here, with the huge influx of foreigners here to boost the economy. Being an asian and whenever i was with my acquaintances from the western side, it was always one too many times that i saw and felt the difference in attention and focus given. No need to state in detail but i believe given an international status here at Movenpick, i am sure this hotel can do much better than that. Anyway, to feel a little bit better for some travellers, i do not see such problem if there isn't any comparison you can see in a group, or of course if you are going solo.

Overall, i still enjoyed my stay here and you should not give this a miss if you happen to be around this area.

Room Tip: if you are not in a big group that need joining rooms, get the staff to give you solo room instead w...
1 Thank Sn9wolfy
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Mövenpick Hotel Ibn Battuta Gate Dubai on Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us to such extent, especially the our exclusive access to Oceana Beach Club and I will make sure to share your feedback with the Front Office, Life guards and service teams.

I have shared your comments on the dishes in Shanghai Chic with the Executive Chef and he will make sure to look into the recipes and preparation mode to ensure they are as close as possible to the original dishes.

In regards to your experience of the service extended by our team to guests from different nationalities, please do rest assured that with such an international service team sourced from over 40 nationalities, our main priority is to ensure all guests are treated equally with the utmost level of service and it is the first time we have every had such feedback. I would like to ask you to send us an email to social.ibnbattuta@moevenpick.com with your contact details so a member of our team can contact you in regards to this subject to receive some more information on your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the hotel during your next visit to Dubai.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Very nice hotel.Location is not that good but hotel itself is great.Food is not as good as other Movenpicks in Dubai.Rooms are beautiful and worth the price.I would stay there again.I stayed in studio type room and it was excellent.Staff was very attentive to your needs.Market inside the Hotel for food and personel needs.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice.Very large rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you thought the hotel is great and that you enjoyed the rooms, but was disappointed to hear you did not enjoy the food as we strive to offer our guests an extraordinary culinary experience when visiting us. I would like to ask you to send us an email to social.ibnbattuta@moevenpick.com with your contact details so our team can contact you in order to receive some more detailed feedback on your food experience, which we will then share with the Executive Chef.

We look forward to receiving your email and to welcoming you back at Mövenpick Hotel Ibn Battuta Gate soon.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I can't praise this hotel enough. It was perfect from start to finish. We were met at the airport and driven to the hotel, were able to check in to our room even though we arrived at 9 am after an overnight flight. The executive lounge was fantastic and the staff so very helpful. We enjoyed the hotel pool and also Oceana beach club. The Friday brunch was superb and the outside bar area was really relaxing and good fun. We had a room on the 10th floor and found it very comfortable and quiet. My daughter had a manicure and pedicure at the beauty salon on the 8th floor and was really impressed- it compared very favourably with the salons she visits in London. I don't usually bother to write reviews but this hotel was so good I really wanted to let others know!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HarvandGarv
Dear Guest,

Thank you taking time to write such a wonderful review on Mövenpick Hotel Ibn Battuta Gate.

I was very pleased to read about your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant early check in experience and that you enjoyed our executive lounge facilities as well as the pool and Oceana Beach Club. It’s great to learn that you took advantage of our Friday brunch and took pleasure in your room.