“Excellent”

Ranked #227 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 1 week with my wife in February 2014 upon the recommendation of my uncle. Let me tell you that I'm glad we stayed there. I can understand that some of the reviews are negative because the hotel can be crowded and noisy, but for a 4 star hotel, you get the best value for money. Any other similar hotel in Dubai will charge you much more than this. A hotel comparable to this one in Sydney will cost at least double the amount we paid.
Let me start by the negative aspects of the hotel then move to the positives:
Yes, the hotel is often crowded, and there could be 2 or 3 minutes of wait every time you take the lifts. The week we were there there was a dental conference and the hotel was booked out. We had to queue for about 20 minutes to check-in, but the reception staff were so polite and welcoming that it wasn't even an inconvenience. There could be also queues for breakfast. The hotel staff, a mixture of nationalities from the Emirates, Egyptians, Indians, Africans etc are all polite, very well presented and groomed. I took the time to chat with many of them and they are welcoming and friendly and take pride in what they do. You will be greeted every time you pass by any one of them.
Now to the positivie aspects:
The hotel is centrally located on Sheikh Zayed Road, close to the metro and shopping malls, and the concierge will hail you a taxi if you need in less than 5 minutes.
The rooms are large, clean and very appealing. The beds are enormous. There's a kitchen, fridge and laundry with free bottled water every day. The flat-screen TV has about 70 channels from all over the world. Breakfast in the hotel is a pleasure. Besides the usual eggs, omelettes and pastry, there are delicious local breakfast staples, such as 'fool' (fried beans), fetta cheese, labna, hommus, pickles. Believe me, you wouldn't want to have lunch. The Moroccan restaurant upstairs is pretty good too, and if you like to try a shisha (water pipe), then head to the Turkish tent upstairs. For good arabic coffee and lovely pastries, head to the coffee shop downstairs. There's a wide varitey of free newspapers and magazines downstairs.
In all, we had a lovely experience and when we visit Dubai again, we're staying at this same hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Zaven D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Arabic first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 13,965 helpful votes
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I had a course in this hotel therefore i stayed 8 nights
the hotel is crowded and the service were so bad
also i could rest in the room or sleep because of the high sounds from the room beside mine high music all the night and the early morning
all other services were good but not more

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank bnghanem
Tarek A, Hotel Manager at Emirates Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Bnghanem,

Thank you for taking time in sharing this post. All of our guests’ comments are very important to us and appreciate your candid feedback. We have shared your recent situation with the relevant departments and are currently looking into this matter. Kindly note that to avoid such issues; we are going to create a family floors and separate business traveler floors.

Looking forward to welcome you again

Regards,
Tarek Aouini
Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Venezuela
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Great service and attention to detail loved it. Close to the subway station. Always found a cab. Had issues with internet service but it was resolved in a jiffy. Will come back. Breakfast options were great and the server staff was on top of everything

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
EGHDubai, Director of Sales at Emirates Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Rolnugam,

Would like to thank you for your positive and encouraging comments post your stay with here at Emirates Grand Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back and making your stay even more memorable.

Please feel free to reach out for me should you require any assistance from the property front.

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014

It's difficult to give this place anything more than 2/5. The front desk staff are very grumpy, it doesn't give a very good impression when you walk in, I was arriving early from an overnight flight from London and had e-mailed the hotel ahead of my stay to book an early check in, which I said I was more than happy to pay for, received no reply to the first e-mail, so sent a second one, I received a reply to say all was in hand and I would be able to check in early for an extra charge of £80 payable when I arrived. So when I got to hotel at 9:45 I was told "all rooms are taken, wait and I will give you one when its ready". I had to wait till 1pm to get my room, so I was a bit annoyed about that. Now when I got in the room it was really nice, very clean, large, comfy bed. No problems with the room, however within about 5 minutes though I noticed I could hear a "Ding Dong" sound, it was from the lift. This noise does not stop as the lifts are in constant use. I was out attending an exhibition most of the day and only came back to the room late at night for sleep and left early in the morning, and this noise bugged me! The breakfast was okay. The wifi connection keeps going on and off, I asked twice for someone to come and look at it, was told by reception someone was coming up but they never did, in the end I just gave up - went up to the roof terrace for a drink and take in some views of Dubai, you cant get any views of the city, it's not a very nice place to sit and have a drink to chill out. There are so many hotels in Dubai so just stay somewhere else, I travel a lot for work and this is one of the worst places I have stayed in. Will be back in Dubai next February, and will not be staying here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed for 4 days. Good location but the front desk was very slow. It took 45 minutes to check in and 1 hour to check out. When checking out they called housekeeping and they had to check out the room before we could check out. Clothes washer and dryer in room. We washed our clothes before leaving but they would not dry so packed wet clothes. Mailed 15 postcards from the concierge, watched him put the stamps on and said they would be mailed the next day. One month later none were delivered. Closed the bedroom door and the room was filled with small feathers. They had collected in vent and rush of air loosened them. House keeping said that never happened before rso when they arrived I closed the door rapidly and the girl ran out of the room. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Plovdiv
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Well,it's the business kind of hotel,but I felt so at home there.Maybe because the fridge in the room was bigger than the one at home:) and the room itself is really big/having in mind Europian hotels with central locations/.Yes,the room is supplied with a ''kitchen corner" so unexpected in a business hotel,with washing machine and drier and ceramic hot-plate.And there is a supermarket right behind the hotel.It's nice to have such alternative in a fancy city like Dubai/with fancy prices,too:)
Great location.The best in Dubai,I think

Room Tip: High floor 15 and up
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank VanesaPlovdiv
Dear Vanesa,

Would like to thank you for taking time out and input some positive comments on the property following your stay here.

Its always a pleasure to have such guests and we all look forward to welcoming you back whenever you are in Dubai.

Should you require any further assistance from the Hotel front, please feel to reach out for me directly.

DELHI
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Being a dedicated follower of Trip advisor, I had few apprehensions about lift system, staff, hospitality , breakfast variety before actually going there. But the visit in January ()cleared all that. Lets start with goodies:

1.Great location near financial centre metro station ( if you opting to stay in well urbanized Dubai with real feel of Dubai away from Indian touch) the eating outlets on both side of Sheikh Zayed road offers quick snacks. We had view of Burj Khalifa from the balcony

2.Great lift system to avoid hazzles caused by unwanted lift stoppages when you are approaching 47 floored hotel. I hardly waited more than 2 min for the right lift.

3.Nice variety for breakfast yes, it is repetitive for sure still it is well offered and served.

4.Staff is too helpful and pleasant. Specially CONCIERGE DESK with Chief Head Mr Lilil and staff of Leuce, Talal and women serving drinks. Cheers to their hospitality. Mr. Lilil was a pleasure to talk with that Indian feel of affection and care.

All in all good hotel for a stay especially for business people and mall lovers for easy accessibility. Ya true, if breakfast menu is monotonous, it would be great to include different items on different days.

Good Deal!!

Room Tip: Go for higher floors with better view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank divakar_gujral
Dear Divakar,

Thank you indeed for the reviews and positive remarks posted on the 16th Jan relating to your stay at the property. I shall ensure that I share the feedback with the concerned departments specially F&B and have them take your suggestions into consideration.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Emirates Grand Hotel.

Should you require any assistance, please feel free to reach out for me.