“Beyond terrible”

Emirates Grand Hotel
Ranked #226 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
“Beyond terrible”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for one night and the service was terrible.. This person named Fadi at the front desk is not only rude but had the courage to openly course at us, he has no idea of the bases of customer service. He really needs to be dismiss.

The rooms smell like curry and the bathroom had mold growing everywhere.... Will NEVER come back

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Vanepaniagua

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have stayed in quite a few hotels in Dubai and thought I would treat myself this time around as I was booking last minute, so thought I would try getting a good deal with lastminute.com. The way I understand it, this means you get a cheaper deal, because the hotel wishes to fill its rooms rather than have empty rooms. I now believe it to mean the hotel wishes to get money for a room it should not be letting out and not give you any of the services that would be available if you paid the normal price...

Now let me start with the positives. The hotel location is great - very centrally located, very close to the metro and a constant stream of taxis. The Concierge, Valet, Housekeeping and Maintenance staff were lovely. The size of the room was great and the self-catering kitchen was a bonus I was not expecting. There was a bath in the bathroom and the room was clean. These are all things you hope for in a hotel, but don't always get.

Now the other side...

On arrival, reception were obviously slammed. It was late Thursday night and they looked tired and fed up. The guy was friendly enough, but I would say for a Thursday night and a full hotel - they were understaffed.

Not that big a deal - I asked for a King room - was told in my booking that was what I had and arrived to a Twin room. In the meantime however, reception had let the phone ring out several times - but the housekeeping staff member was lovely.

I slept badly as there were lights in my room that you couldn't switch off unless you removed the card - which meant none of the lights would work... So the second night I called maintenance and ended up switching these lights from the circuit breaker. The maintenance guy was really sweet.

The valet staff were completely understaffed. The hotel appeared to be at full capacity and there was a large queue and no-one at the desk for the parking every time I wandered through the front doors. Despite being slammed, they were really lovely.

There was no plug for the bath or the basin. While there was limited kitchen equipment, there was nothing to clean it with. And finally, when I went to check out, I needed to use wifi, which as I understood it was meant to be free in the public areas, but I needed a password. I was told rather indignantly that I was not entitled to that with my booking.

While none of these things were big on their own, combined, it left me feeling like I was just there to fill a room. I was an inconvenience to reception and frankly, I would not choose to stay there again. I expected more from an Emirates branded hotel and it was very disappointing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JulesRaw
Athens, Greece
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The hotel has 50 floors which is impressive especially if you are not used to it. It also has a nice panorama restaurant with great view.

It is also situated next to the Financial center metro station and on the Seikh Zayed Road which is the most central avenue in Dubai. On the next metro station resides the famous Dubai Mall and the Burj Khalifa (highest building in the world).

Breakfast is OK.

These are the good things.

There are bad too.

The rooms could have been more clean (especially floors, towels, curtains all had signs of dirt on them). Too bad for a 4* hotel.

There is no cold water in the room. Even if you select the blue tube, you must be carefull not to burn yourself. I don't know if this is something usual in Dubai due to the heat.

The hotel reception and elevators are always crowded and extremely noisy. They also have some english understading issues in the reception.

We asked for a room with view if possible since we were on a honemoon on a 50-floor hotel. The receptionist said they would do their best. They gave us a room on floor 8.

We also had an issue as we had booked for two nights with our tour operator but when we checked-in, they could only see a reservation for 1 night in their system. We had to call our tour operator several times to resolve this and the hotel reception never updated us when the problem was resolved (it was resolved). We had to ask them again again to be sure. We never understood whose mistake it was.

We had to make a pre-payment of 500 Dirhams (125€) when checked-in which were returned to us when we checked-out. Strange for a pre-paid package.

The tour-operator guy with the desk next to the reception arranged for us a mini-van tour in Dubai (200Dirhams / person, about 50€) which was supposed to start at 15:00 and end on 19:00. He said that according to traffic we might start as late as on 15:30 so we had to wait on our room and he would give us a call. We had to wait somehow formally dressed as there is some strict dress code on some sites in Dubai. So we have been waiting for the call from 15:00 to 16:00 but nothing. We went down to the reception and only then he made some phone calls to the van. He justified the delay mentioning an accident that happened on a bridge. We are not fool, they clearly forgot us. The tour van came on 17:00 and we were the only 2 persons on the tour. We spent 2h waiting for them in a 2 day visit in the city. Anyway, the tour was great, athough it lasted only 2h and a half instead of 4h.

Finally, we were supposed to have free wi-fi access according to the package we prepaid to our tour operator, but they never provided us with the wifi codes on the hotel. Again they insisted that we needed to buy an a la carte wifi package. We didn't care for the wifi that much, I only needed to web check-in in our flight next morning.
On the second night we insisted we had a free package and the receptionist said "ok call number 0 from your room and tell them you have free wifi and they will give you the password". They didn't, they told us we don't have free wifi.
We were too bored and tired to ask again, so we didn't do a web check-in to our flight and decided to wake up earlier next morning :)

We were also supposed to have transfer to the airport included for our checkout according to the info we had from our tour operator but they said no again :). Of course these are also things that we will check with the tour operator too.

Finally, note that the hotel is about 20minutes drive by taxi to the airport, as on Friday mornings there is no metro service on Dubai.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed here with my wife and had a terrible experience. We went out for dinner one night and came back where we were called a side by the front desk who demanded we give them IDs, proof that we are both registered guests and proof of our marriage as the front desk guy said "we do not allow "girls" in this hotel" Both of us were EXTREMELY offended by this comment as he was indicating my wife was a hooker. We complained to management the next morning who only had to say "Sorry for the inconvenience". We checked out that day. DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS WITH A FAMILY OR SINGLE!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zayed G

Travelers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Atyrau Province, Kazakhstan
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed there on an interval exchange holiday for a week. Not a bad location. The Gym was good the pool was a bit small and windy as it is on the upper floors
.The Dubai Mall is one stop away on the Metro which is a couple of minutes’ walk from the Hotel.
The staff was OK but seemed to lack management supervision

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently with my husband and teenage daughter. Stayed in a two bedroom suite 28th floor, the carpet in corridor badly stained, the windows in room filthy and the bathrooms most definitely need updating. The pool area small, sun loungers seen better days and only one toilet for all to use! This hotel may have been 'grand' 20 or more years ago but certainly not anymore, unfortunately would not stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank redpip2016
UAE
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Visited for a spa and pool day .
The brand association " emirates " set the expectation of a 5 star experience .

Lobby : worn velvet chairs
Spa : yellow towels shaped into swans beside the reception .
Actual treatment rooms lay out resemble hotel room carpeted corridor ( was being vacuumed at 12 noon ! ) with burnt out inscence sticks and ashes dotted around .
Pool area very small and basic the worst part being a single shared male and female toilet .
Not greeted by anyone at the pool .

Didn't see the hotel rooms or have a spa treatment , based on what I've seen so far expect nothing higher than a 2-3* experience .

Location good / central
Hotel is Dry ( no alcohol )

• Stayed July 2013