“Beautiful hotel and friendly staff”

Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah
Ranked #189 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Al Muharraq, Bahrain
“Beautiful hotel and friendly staff”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at the Kempinski for a long weekend and had a great time. The rooms are very spacious and luxurious with excellent views of the Palm, the beach is pristine and the pool area is also good. The staff who we met were very friendly and helpful, however the bar service at the pool was a bit slow. Only gripe is that you have to pay for the internet which is strange in a 5 star hotel. It seems like a good hotel for families too

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laurenvdm8023
KempinskiPalm, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear laurenvdm8023,

Thanks a lot for sharing your great experience and posting a positive comment on TripAdvisor.
I am were very happy to read your review, and glad that we could contribute to making your trip to Dubai a great experience and you truly enjoyed the view of the Palm from your spacious suite as well as beach, pool and other hotel facilities.

With internet mostly being paid, we dedicated great efforts to provide our guests with a guaranteed high speed internet connection rather than free connection with speed issues.

We do provide complimentary internet connection for those booking directly on our website and for GHA Discovery members. GHA Discovery is our loyalty program with Global Hotel Alliance for which you can register any time during check-in.

Thank you once again for your thoughtful feedback and looking forward to welcome you back.

Burkhard Wolter,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I travelled to Dubai with 5 other business associates and had a four bedroom penthouse suite. Supposedly the best rooms in the hotel with a massive terrace and an outdoor jaccuzzi. The hotel is on the palm not too far from Atlantis. This is my second experience in a Kempinski and once again it was a total disappointment. Where do I start! There was no trash can in the bathrooms! Room service kept on forgetting our orders. The Hot tub was not working and engineering had to come up and fix it. The kettle and microwave had to also be fixed. But those were minor compared to the sheer non existent service that I expect from a quality hotel. I hope this is more reflective of Dubai and less of the Kempinski brand. Either way, it was sad.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Buddakhan
Dear Buddakhan,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and valuable feedback about your stay. I am glad to know that you returned to the hotel in a second time and had the opportunity to stay in one of our largest penthouses.

It is disappointing to know that we did not meet your expectations with the service provided to you, and would like to thank you for constructive feedback. We appreciate receiving feedback from our guests, even if it’s of a critical nature, as this is the only way we can truly improve our service.

I have taken note of your comments and I will surely pay maximum attention and work harder for the improvement of the services.

I will be happy to welcome you once again in a future.

Brisbane
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Last year I wrote my first and only to date online review.

I feel the need to now write another online review, this time one that has a huge serving of humble pie.

My recent stay at the Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah was simply exceptional!

Where to start?

There are so many people that have clearly spent time and effort training, improving, and refining the staff and facilities at the Kempinski on Palm Jumeirah.

Burkhard Wolter, the General Manager has done what I and many others considered to be impossible. The change in standards and level of service is just unbelievable. This is now one of the finest hotels I have ever stayed in, having flown in from London where we were staying at the Ritz Hotel we were not prepared for that level of service to continue once we arrived at the Kempinski. However, not only was the same level of standard applied but in some cases it actually exceeded the level of standard of the Ritz Hotel, London.

This is fast becoming my new favourite hotel.

I have already pre-booked three additional stays for this summer and cannot wait to return.

From the second that we arrived nothing was ever too much trouble, the quality of the food and service in the restaurant was fantastic, obviously every comment made by others and me have been acted upon and systems put in place to guarantee that quality is assured and expectations met, the attention to detail was amazing.

On day 4, our plans were changed and we required business meeting rooms and facilities for 21 people, with only 1 hours’ notice the Kempinski staff arranged everything, without fuss, mistake or error of any kind; it was a display of professionalism that was a joy to see.

There were huge improvements in every area of the hotel – Burkhard and your management team I salute you, you have created a special place with lovely touches such as music and drinks at sunset on the beach and all of this appears effortless, guests are obviously relaxed in their own private world with your skilled staff catering to their every need, well done.

You can now order whatever food you require to the room without fear of a mistake when the food arrives, the freshness of the food and the range available was very, very good.

With the desire to make a difference glowingly obvious in all managers and staff it’s a pleasure to stay at the Kempinski and there are so many people to thank for that, I would say a big heartfelt thanks to the whole team, Burkhard Wolter and a special thanks to a member of the team from Brunello’s Restaurant (where the food is brilliant) who made our stay so enjoyable and unforgettable – thank you Aleftina Ostrova you are making a difference.

Dennis H

Brisbane, Australia

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dennis H
KempinskiPalm, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Dennis H,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive experience on TripAdvisor.

We were very happy to hear that you come back to us and we managed to make it up for you this time with improved service and we are pleased you have noticed the positive changes.
Our aim is delivering the best possible results and continuously invests into the trainings of employees and innovative ideas.

Thanks again for your positive review and looking forward to see you.

Please feel free to contact me directly for further arrangements during your upcoming stay.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Took a 3 bedroomed apartment for 6 nights and we were all amazed by the size and luxurious nature of the room. We were 3 adults and 2 children and the apartment catered for us with plenty of room to spare. Hotel staff were generally very friendly, but the poolside service could do with more staff as service was often slow. I can highly recommend the BBQ on the beach, where nothing was too much trouble and we enjoyed many wonderful evenings.

Room Tip: Better views on the higher floors
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark G
KempinskiPalm, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Mark G,

Thank you for posting your comment on TripAdvisor.

We were very happy to read your positive review, and are glad that we could contribute to making your trip to the Dubai a great experience.

Personalized and quick service is of great importance for Kempinski, and we will invest more heavily in staff training to ensure every guest feels special.

Thank you once again for your thoughtful feedback.

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Booking Date: April 18-20, 2013.
Rooms Booked: (3) Three 2-bedroom suites.

We have been to many Kempinski Hotels all over and this one is really unforgettable (in a negative way that is).

Upon arrival, we were greeted promptly by the staff. The hotel lobby can be forgotten. We didn't feel that sense of luxury we were expecting, considering you paid a hefty amount. The front desk team made up for the hotel's lack of a great first impression with their smiles and assistance.

We were introduced to our suites and although the interior is ok, there was still something missing. We were expecting to be "wowed". It didn't happen. I just thought the suites need some more charm in it.

We are a family of 10 adults, 5 children and 2 infants. We were able to fill our 3 suites appropriately according to their maximum occupancy. So we figured that this hotel is being placed as a hotel for the family. However, when we asked for extra water (they give 4 bottles everyday + 2 bottles in the evening turn down service), they simply told us that they are charging 10 dirhams per bottle. So that really isn't the issue here because upon checking in, they told us that there is a supermarket nearby that we can call and deliver necessities. We were still puzzled on why they are charging for a basic necessity, especially when they know the amount of adults and children that are booked. We called their customer service and we got to talk to someone from in-room dining. This lady can't give us a proper explanation and said that her supervisor will be calling us back regarding the matter. The supervisor didn't call. Instead, he went to one of our suites. When we opened the door, he was leaning on one side of the door and asked us, "What's your issue?". He was very unprofessional and rude. He didn't even greeted us a good afternoon. His body language was very informal as if he was the one on a vacation. And then we tried to state our concerns, he kept on interrupting. We were asking him to stop and listen first but he just kept on interrupting until we were exchanging high voices because this guy doesn't know how to listen. At one part of the argument he told us the complimentary water is for the coffee, and we told him that if it was for the coffee alone, then what will the kids have? Anyway, we were just asking for a valid response to our concern but instead we get to argue with this guy with the manner he addressed us. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. It seems like this guy didn't undergo the proper training. And he is the supervisor. By the way, his name is Harish.

So I called the Front Desk Manager and complained about Harish. The front desk manager listened to our concerns regarding the attitude of this guy and made sure that our concern will be escalated approriately. He also told us that he would never let Harish be in contact with us for the duration of our stay. BUT NO! A few minutes after i spoke to the front desk manager, Harish went to our room again carrying a box of water! Can you believe that? Is that the way you really respond to your guests' concerns? We were just asking an appropriate response and we get to be insulted. It's like telling us, "here's your box of water, stop complaining." We got really upset so the situation got worse. We called the front desk manager and told him what Harish had done, and he said that the culinary director would like to have a word with us.

Deff Haupt was the exact opposite of Harish. He went to our suite, politely greeted me and explained to us the reason behind the bottled water charge. All we needed was an appropriate response and he gave it to us. I don't know if it was a valid reason but I'm sure there is still a more effective way of controlling the bottled water issue. If the maximum occupancy of each suite is 4 adults and 2 children, 6 bottles for the whole day is not enough in my opinion especially in a hot country like dubai. It is a basic necessity. And you're not staying in just any hotel. You are supposed to feel like you are staying at a "luxury" hotel. Apart from the unimpressive hotel feel, the charge for the bottled water made it look cheap. Again I say, there should be a better regulation regarding that matter.

If you're looking for some rest and relaxation, we definitely got it the next day. It was ok. Just ok.

Breakfast needs massive improvement.

The barbecue at night was great. Seafood buffet was awesome. You should try it.

Upon checkout, we were asked to fill out 3 forms again for the complimentary wifi (which we filled out when we checked in). So that didn't bother us. However, they mysteriously charged us for items that were missing from the mini-bar. These were 1. A can of regular coke 2. Nuts 3. Bottled mineral water. WE DIDN'T TAKE THEM. We don't drink regular coke. We're not fond of nuts. The bottled mineral is just insane. How it got charged, i don't know. But as far as I know, from all the 3 suites we booked, only my suite was the one charged for items in the mini-bar. Strange? Maybe. But i can swear my life we didn't take them. A mistake? Probably. (or someone wanted to get back at us.) Anyway, it was waived.

Overall, if you want to feel what you pay for, this is not the right hotel for you because you will get disappointed. However, if you want to give this hotel a chance, go ahead. Just be wary and be conscious that this is supposed to be not just some hotel. Maybe our expectations were too high OR this hotel doesn't live up to five-star standards or the value you get from what you pay for.

Room Tip: We got a Lagoon View. Choose a higher floor and a suite that doesn't have any view obstructions.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mynameisimman
Dear Imman,

I would like to personally thank you for your mail, and your comments. We have taken note of your comment, which we regard as very serious, and would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the unpleasant experience about mentioned points you had at our hotel.

However I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience in our Beach BBQ and was satisfied with the assistance of our culinary Director and colleagues at the reception. For such a big family like yours I hope the spacious suite you had was up to your satisfaction and comfort.

I understand your disappointment with the service provided to you with regards of complimentary water in the suite, and would like to thank you for your constructive feedback.

We hope to welcome you once again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Well I am here at the Kempinski Hotel & Residences in Dubai and going to run a blog. I am stuck here for the next 3 nights and so far its is just shocking. On arrival the room smelt so much of smoke you choked on it. The room offered was a garden view with everyone walking past your room. The inside is of a size is OK but the fit out is just something else, very groove (in a uncool way)

Anyway the big kicker is the staff and their, "oh we are so sorry to hear that," attitude when you speak to them - when really they couldn't give a stuff.

So there is no other rooms in the hotel and when we state we really aren't keen on staying in your groove hotel their reply is, "well it will cost you a night!!" great service / not!

Then we have the Euro trash music playing in the garden outside our window. We ask reception if it could be turned down with a reply of, "I will tell my colleague" half an hour and still the same Euro trash music which doesn't fit with the feel of the UAE.

Well we will see how we go - but at the moment you get a terrible rating

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank N T
KempinskiPalm, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel & Residences Palm Jumeirah, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We appreciate receiving feedback from our guests, even if it is of a critical nature, as this is the only way we can truly assess our guests’ needs, and continuously improve the luxury service we aim to provide.

Please note that the music in the garden is coming from the exclusive 4 day art performance which is ongoing at the day time to further enhance the entertainment on the property.

I have taken note of your comments and would be delighted to follow up on it personally with you while you are in the hotel.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I could just say thank to all hotel staff and there is nothing to say more. our suit was clean, quiet, comfortable, hotel is really good, staff were kindly. location is great.
First night we arrive really late to the hotel but our room was ready with wine and cheese plate and fruits as complimentary. we just love it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple