“Meydan Dubai”

Ranked #66 of 549 Hotels in Dubai
Los Angeles
“Meydan Dubai”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We received this hotel booking as part of our itinerary on an African Safari package, staying over in Dubai a few extra days. We arrived and were greeted by the manager on duty, he upgraded us to a two bedroom suite with living room and bar area. Quite an amazing place, even the pool on the roof overlooking the race track was amazing. Very clean, great service, a little out of the way if you want to be at the beach, but taxis are cheap in Dubai. I would stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask if they have an upgrade available. If it's off season, they probably will be happy to do so...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tomflies1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed there from 8th April to the 16th April .The building is quite stunning in design and looks every part the 5 star property it is . The hotel itself lies a a very tiny bit out of the way , but not to far if you are visiting Dubai Mall or the creek area, The rooms are superb and are all furnished to a very high standard . The staff do their job well and look after you very well . The concierge is very knowledgeable and helpful at all times . On our last night we discovered the Italian restaurant on the roof (bar pasta ) .Our only regret was that we never found it sooner as we thought it was superb with very good sized portions and reasonably priced . The rooftop pool is stunning with great views over the racecourse .
Over the years i have stayed at some of the best (DAM ) and some of the worst (grand moov ) , this hotel is up there with the best i have stayed at

Room Tip: High up for great views
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank markyparky
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Spent 2 nights at the Meydan hotel in July 2011, which were a real bargain for this hotel's standard during off-peak season. The hotel was commissioned during the financial crisis and when we stayed there, only about one third of it was open. The main lobby is simply majestic and you can see and feel luxury everywhere. The most stunning feature of this hotel is the 24-hour check-in & checkout policy, i.e. if you check in at 3 am and are staying one night, your checkout time will be until 3 am the following day/evening! The hotel developer contracted Etienne Aigner for the entire interior design and the rooms just look amazingly elegant, without an overstated sense of luxury. All the room amenities are first-class and saving money was no priority for the developer. Soundproofing is excellent too, yet depending on the type of room you get, the partition near the balcony door may not be as airtight as it should be and you may hear noises from the adjacent room or feel the Dubai heat if you get too close!

The breakfast buffet has a good selection yet during busy hours, service can become hectic as staff struggle to refill empty trays.

The rooftop pool is tiny for the hotel size but depending on when you visit, you may never want to use it in the heat!

The hotel is a bit out of the way by Dubai standards and taxis try to avoid it because they end up empty on the long ride back but if you have your own car then there's no issue as parking space is abundant. Definitely worth the stay!

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the Meydan racecourse, so you can basically request one on a higher floor for a b...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dany_DXB
Dubai
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 3 days during a workshop with our company. I was very impressed from the services and the people and the cleanliness of the hotel. I saw the comments of other people I have to disagree with some yeah the hotel is huge and a bit of cold atmosphere, but generally speaking I enjoyed the hotel and the people.
Some training is required, and was not very impressed with the Russians services and cold way of talking. Rooms are very good the service at the breakfast & the food was excellent and the Shiba restaurant as well was great.
I assume some more training for the staff and it will be an excellent hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank YogaBless
LUTON
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stayed as part of my sons 18 birthday, picked up in jagaur xj lovely car brilliant briver very friendly and helpful. On arrival bags were taken away we was greeted by staff who offered us a seat, cold towels and drinks whe was then taken to reception to check in and showed to our room. Amazing rooms very spacious and hi tec. We had a welcome cake, big bouquet of flowers and fruit. Room service was very good and reasonably priced.
Roof top pool is stunning overlooking the race course, allways serving you cold bottled water and fruit.
For my sons birthday he was given a big bag of Meydan souvenirs which was really unexpected and a lovely touch.
Taxi fair to dubai mall was about £4 so very cheap to get into the main areas.
Stayed in several hotels in Dubai and by far the best could not fault the service or the staff will definitely be returning.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DAVETLuton
Funabashi, Japan
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed at The Meydan Hotel on the day of Dubai World Cup 2012.

I am very into horse races and had loved The Meydan Hotel. However I was really disappointed at The Meydan Hotel.

The Meydan Hotel set up security gate at the entrance on March 31.

I could understand the security checks were needed because so many VIPs would visit The Meydan Hotel on March 31, the day of Dubai World Cup 2012.

However I could not accept terrible happenings I encountered:

When I returned from Jumeira Mosque tour and shopping at Dubai mall I was forced to abandon all the stuff I bought at the Dubai Mall. Those included chocolate-coated dates at Bateel and chocolate at Patchi.

Of course I requested explanations why I could not go into my room with stuffs above but The Meydan staffs only told me that all the food and beverages could not be brought into the hotel.

I was a hotel guest NOT a restaurant guest. Why do I have to be refused to go back to my room with souvenir?

Of course, there were NO announce about it beforehand. How could I avoid this ?

After returning from this visit, I wrote an E-mail to request explanations. Director of Security mentioned that the security measures on 31st March were planned, implemented and controlled solely by various departments of Dubai Police.

He also pointed out that I should regard the incident as an unfortunate aberration.
Obviously Director of Security thought the incidents happened due to Dubai Police's measures and the hotel was not responsible for it.

I have stayed many five star hotels around the world including Burj Al Arab, Emirates Towers Hotel and Intercontinental Hotel in Dubai and I have never met this kind of ludicrous episode.

Is The Meydan truly international five star hotel? Maybe this hotel is for UAE royal family not for ordinary foreign travelers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Hisaok
The Netherlands
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Great hotel, great view but service .............

Check-in was swift but no welcome drinks, towels or dades.
Nice big clean suite (we were upgraded), amazing view, plenty of towels, lacking of Elememis Bathgel/shampoo etc. 1 tiny bottle for 2 people in a suite?? Requested more and eventually got plenty (too many!) ;-))
Hotel seems to have no housekeeping?? At 3pm I had to beg if my room could be cleaned! We stayed for 2 nights but all the time we spent at the hotel, I have not seen one Housekeeping trolley ........... strange.

View was great, we were on the 4th floor. Sipping coffee early morning in the sunshine on the balcony is heaven! Very tranquil environment but after a day this becomes utterly irritating so we fled to the Dubai Mall with their free shuttle bus service.
Pool is a dream, amazing and what a view! Plenty of loungers but hotel was not full.

The only nice thing about Breakfast was the ability to sit outside and enjoy the tranquil environment again. Heaven!
Too ages to get a Latte and when it arrived it was cold. Returned it and asked for a steaming hot one, which seemed to work and the next morning I did not have to ask again ;-)

The food was nice, if present, at the Buffet style breakfast but as it was a Friday morning (weekend in the Middle East), there were many local guests and they ravage through everything and seem to hate foreigners.
There was one chef who noticed my irritation (lack of fresh fruit choice, empty dishes etc etc) and delivered my ordered poached egg personally on the terrace.
Please understand that I am not fussy but when dishes are and remain empty while it is still early (9 am!), everyone would get irritated. And if I then get pushed aside by various ladies in abayas ............... grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

We did not have dinner at the hotel, preferred to have it at the Dubai Mall. Keep in mind that there is nothing to do in the evening at the hotel. While we stayed there all the bars were closed due to private parties??!!
The newly opened Hard Rock Cafe at Festival City is worth a visit and very nice to spent a relaxing evening and have dinner!!!

Staff is great and friendly but while the Bab al Shams, also from the Meydan group, exceeds in service, the Meydan falls short. So beware and choose the Bab al Shams, we now regretted another stay there.

Check-out was a disaster, it took 4 requests and 45 minutes for our luggage to get into the taxi ................

Good for 1 night but definitely not more, unless the Meydan works on the service issue.

Room Tip: ALL rooms are have a balcony and face the racing track. Nice, especially when there is a race but if...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple