“One of the Biggest Disappointments in Dubai”

Ranked #227 of 549 Hotels in Dubai
Dubai
“One of the Biggest Disappointments in Dubai”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is one of the worst hotels I have stayed at in Dubai and is towards the bottom of list of places I've stayed throughout the world. However, I will start by giving some of the positive aspects of the hotel. The hotel itself is only a few years old and is overall very clean; particularly the lobby area. It is in a convenient location, directly across from Terminal 3 of Dubai International Airport. It seems very ideal and reasonably priced for somebody that needs a place to stay one night (or a few hours) before catching a flight. The gym was also very nice; clean and modern. This may be because the front-desk staff don't provide access unless you specifically request it.

For anyone that needs something more than a place to catch a few hours of sleep and leave, this is not the place. The rooms are very small and don't appear to be cleaned thoroughly. I asked for a nonsmoking room with a king size bed and was informed at check in one was not available. The staff was helpful and offered a temporary room with two beds while they serviced and made a room available that fit my request. The temporary room was clean but had an awful smell to it - as if somebody had dropped salmon on the carpet and they never bothered to deodorize the room afterwards. None of the windows open so its impossible to get fresh air in the room. Later on the check-in day, I returned to the front desk to change rooms. The new staff members there again told me my room was not available. Note that earlier the staff were preparing a room specifically for me. After I showed my frustration, the manager, in his condescending demeanor, managed to find a new room for me. The room was very small, but it did not have as foul of a smell as the first one did. There was a green mold all around the vent coming into the room, so again, air quality throughout the hotel was very bad. This is certainly not healthy for the guests staying here. The hallways always appeared to have trash outside the doors that would not be picked up for several hours. There was always a small traffic jam outside the hotel because the driveway is only big enough for one vehicle to pass through. Typically the Holiday Inn hotel buses were to blame for blocking the passage. My room did not get serviced during two of the nine nights I spent at the hotel and no bottled water was provided beyond the first night.

Again, this hotel may be nice for the passer-by due to its price and location, but there are a thousand other hotels in Dubai that are much better for anyone staying for a longer term. The pictures of the hotel from the outside are very nice and the lobby is very open and clean, but don't let that fool you into thinking that all rooms are up to standard.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dubai Airport, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear FedericoDa,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations.

I am sorry to hear about your experience at our property. I hope you can believe me when I say that your experience is not the norm in our hotel. We take great pride in keeping our amenities at tip top shape for all our guests. I apologize for any inconvenience our level of cleanliness has caused you and regret that you didn't find our rooms to your liking.

We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London Colney
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is a very very basic hotel that I would only pay £40 or maximum £50 a night. Lesson learnt, will never stay here again. The quality of the property was not up to the standard I expect from Holiday Inn and Dubai. The thing is, it kind of looked like a new built so it seems to me that it was built more like a temporary building with the aim of just cashing in. I chose to stay here as it was very close to the airport but will choose from the other few hotels in the area next time I need stay close to the airport.

Room Tip: Nothing to say here
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
KanaanChady, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dubai Airport, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Valued guest,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Express Dubai Airport.

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling below your expectations. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.
kindly note that the hotel is Holiday Inn Express and not Holiday Inn where many services and amenities are not available as per the brand concept which is limited service value for money, please find below my contact details if you would like to discuss your concerns further more or if there was any specific issue related to service.

Sincerely

Chady Kanaan | Hotel Manager
Holiday Inn Express Dubai Airport
P.O Box 35257 | Holiday Inn Express Dubai Airport | Umm Ramool, opposit T3. Dubai, UAE
Phone: + 9714 2900 111 | Fax: + 9714 2900 222 | Mobile: + 971 50 8936356
E-mail: chady.kannan@hiexdubai.ae

Travelers are raving about these Dubai hotels

South Africa
Reviewed January 16, 2013

One day 18 hour stopover using Emirates 24 hour stopover package. Basic clean 2 star hotel . Free wifi only at reception. Watch out for the doorman as far as taxis is concerned. If you use him to get you a taxi, you will be ripped off. A 15 dirham max taxi ride to Gold Souk ended up at a metered fare of 46 dirhams. I refused to pay and asked the driver to phone the police which he duly did. Police told me to pay what i think was a fair rate ( even suggested pay nothing if wanted too).
I agreed with police on phone to pay 20 max. Driver was not impressed but he was out to catch me and thought i would be scared of the police...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank haroonb
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dubai Airport, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear haroonb,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Shanghai Region, China
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here during a stop over in Dubai. This hotel did not meet the Holiday Inn standard I got used to. The room was not ready when I checked in so i still had to wait. Waiting was fine, but the room is very small and the carpet looked dirty. The pillows were not the comfy hotel piilows. There weren't toiletries in the bathroom and no slippers available in the room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank wandering_dive_geek
Dear Valued guest,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Express Dubai Airport.

Sincerely

Chady Kanaan | Hotel Manager
Phone: + 9714 2900 111 | Fax: + 9714 2900 222 | Mobile: + 971 50 8936356
E-mail: chady.kannan@hiexdubai.ae
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while in transit to another destination. I was happy with my choice. The hotel is clean, modern, conveniently located, and comfortable. Free Wifi, a good breakfast, and an airport shuttle were also included. This hotel serves as a good base for anyone looking for somewhere to rest in between flights. I recommend it and am grateful to hotels like this which offer comfort and reliability without breaking the budget :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The hotel was fine for a one-night stay but possibly a bit overpriced, but then it is located right next to the airport so that presumably justifies the higher cost to stay here.Room was perfectly adequate, although I did not like the fact that one is hermetically sealed inside and the windows seemed not to open, but other people will be happy with the air conditioning (I always turn it off and prefer freshish air). The staff were fine - not rude, not overly helpful - and managed to get us into the room earlier than the official time. Breakfast also adequate, good quantity of food but not much variety. Shuttle service to Terminal 3 was very efficient. We arrived at Terminal 2 though originally and had to take a taxi there as there is seemingly no other way of getting to Terminal 3/the airport hotels.

Room Tip: Maybe smokers get some outside area/access to fresh air?
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dawlee
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dubai Airport, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear angelacjd,