“Haggle hard!”

The Karama Market
Ranked #81 of 388 things to do in Dubai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Al Karama is one of the oldest street malls of Dubai, the market sells all kinds of gift items, like t shirts and jeans, shoes and ladies handbags. The timing is 10 am to 10:30 pm and on Fridays 3 pm to 10:30 pm. The market used to be closed for lunch time but now it's changed to straight.
Midlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Haggle hard!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Some great quality leather mulberry bags available! Offer half the asking price and don't increase much further! You will get a bargain if you stick at it!! Nothing attractive about the karama district! Apart from good shopping!

Visited March 2013
6 Thank Midlands56

• Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
manchester
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Do not miss Karama experience”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just come back from Karama markets.I was blown away yet again by the quality and service of these guys.1stly Linda bag shop been there every time I come here.this time took 2 friends we bought 12 bags .theses are excellent copies.
Also the other shop was You and Me cannot fault this guy he was fab so help full in every way.Theses guys should be patronized as they are the best.
They do barter but only let you go so far then let you walk away.There are some really bad copies but not at theses two shops.you don't only go once you have to go again!!The choice of bags watches belts tee shirts is untrue.Do not miss this shopping experience.Dubai is expensive but not Karama

Visited March 2013
11 Thank Barbara248
Fraserburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Take Care which shops you visit”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you come off the Metro at Karama, you will be met by verious people wanting to take you to the shops. Beware of this, as generally they will not take you to the big market, but will take you to a couple of shops with inflated prices or lower quality for tourists, and these guys are also on commission.
It is best to take a taxi to the market, where you will find hundreds of shops and stalls offering all kinds of goods - and if you are looking at this review you know which type of goods.
Many places will start with high prices and expect to haggle hard, and quality alos varies - some will try and take advantage of tourists, and some have prices that are not for haggling.
Don't dive into any purchase too deeply, shop around and carefully look at quality. If is a fascinating place.

The place we found best was a shop called Crocodile, Shop No B-237 and it had a G Star sun shade. The quality there was excellent, very friendly and helpful guy with non inflated prices - you may be able to negotiate a discount but not much and he does not try and rip you off - I think he gets lots of returning customers.

Visited February 2013
11 Thank George M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Karama Markets- definitely worth a trip!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I lived in Dubai 2 years ago and never went to Karama. This time , I was here on holiday and thought I'd take a trip out.
I'm not one for fakes so was curious as to how good these would be. I had my authentic balenciaga bag with me, and an LV scarf, so was equipped to compare!

Well.. I was blown away! Some of the shops had pretty bad copies, and looked like copies. However a few off the shops, in particular Links had excellent bags , quality and choice. I was taken up to their showroom.. I was aghast. They had celine, Hermes, Chanel. Chloe, balenciaga, LV, Dior. So many it was insane! They also had many LV scarves, leopard and cashmere in all the up to date colours.
Canno recommend enough.. I ended up going twice and had to buy another suitcase..whoops :-)

21 Thank Northerncomfort3001
Manchester, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A experience not to miss”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We visited the market in February 2013, and I braced myself for the worst! After shopping in Egypt I was expecting the shopkeepers to be a nightmare. They were the opposite! Very helpful and not intimidating at all. They simply asked you what brands you were looking for, and then offered to take you to their famous secret rooms! If I hadn't read about these secret rooms before I may have been more sceptical, but they were perfectly fine and definitely added to the experience. Rooms and rooms and rooms full of bags. My girlfriend was in her element.

One thing we did expect was for the shopkeepers to barter more. The tried and tested walk away tactic just didn't work. I was advised to go in at half the price and they just laughed and told you me no. Maybe our haggling was not good enough, but they just didn't seem bothered if you didn't buy.

It did get a little annoying with the constant "You want to buy watch mate", but just say no and smile and they don't hassle you.

We ended up buying several bags, and my girlfriend actually wanted to go back the next day because she wanted more! Great day out.

Visited February 2013