“Old hotel, good view, but disappointed by room change”

Ranked #67 of 563 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I booked this hotel 2 months ago. I was travelling by myself and arriving about 9 pm. I specifically booked a balcony suite so I could sit on the balcony and watch the lights on the lake, without having to venture out on my own. When I arrived tonight they told me my room wasn't available and I would have to take a room without a balcony. I was very disappointed. This was to be a highlight of my trip, I don't understand how if I booked and paid for this room two months ago they could then let it to someone else. This is the first and last time I will book a Ramada hotel .

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank triciafromoz
Wael116566, General Manager at Ramada Downtown Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

First and foremost please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations. I have noted your comment. But we would like to assure you that this situation does not reflect the standards, the procedures nor the spirit we conduct our business at Ramada Downtown. However, I would highly appreciate if you could email on info@ramadadowntowndubai.com your reference number in order to investigate the same and reply back to you accordingly.

It is our goal to maintain the highest standards of service to all our guests and we appreciate you having taken the time to write to us. It is only from feedback such as yours that we are able to improve our facilities and services.

We would very much welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence in our services.

Ramada Downtown Dubai

Write a ReviewReviews (2,438)

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at the Ramada Downtown for a one night stop over in Dubai. We arrived at the hotel before 6am and received excellent service. The hotel held our bags and arranged the earliest possible check-in, instead of making us wait until 3pm. We stayed in a Junior Suite, which was incredibly spacious and offered amazing views of the Burj Kalifa and fountains. The hotels location was perfect for us. It was within walking distance of the Dubai Mall and metro station. We will definitely return to this hotel during future trips to Dubai.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for a outstanding post you've made on TripAdvisor. I was very glad to know that we have met your expectations. We truly pride ourselves in maintaining the highest standards of hospitality and we are constantly striving to achieve more compliments from our guests. Hence, please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with our team members, as it is very rewarding and motivating to receive such positive feedback. Once again, thank you for your nice comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Ramada Downtown Dubai.

For your future reservations, you may contact us via our website for direct booking at the best available rates.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I know this hotel well. I've stayed at the Ramada downtown for 1 week every month since sept 2012 and will continue to stay here throughout 2013. Staff are great, large clean rooms and a perfect location for DIFC. Only comment is that the internet is a bit slow and you can only log on with one device unless you pay for another.. But I'm told they're sorting that out.
If you fancy a treat go for the two bed over looking the fountains but all other rooms are spacious and comfortable for a longer stay.

Don't agree with the comments about housekeeping, I've always had a great service and the room is always cleaned when I get back. Laundry service is also fast and good quality.

Highly recommend.

Andrew Roberts

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Nottstravellers

Dear Guest,

I was pleased to read that you did like the hotel, however, was concerned reading your comment in regards to the internet usage. The reason we have only one free connection is that we cater to large families here and each of them come with a different device, hence providing a connection to all completely slows down the internet connection. Downloading and other browsing becomes a hassle, hence we have 1 free connection and additional devices are chargeable. This is according to the survey of competitor hotels. We are therefore sorry we were not able to meet with your expectations. But we would like to assure you that this situation does not reflect the standards, the procedures nor the spirit we conduct our business at Ramada Downtown.

Once again we would like to thank you for supporting us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed in The Ramada Downtown at the beginning of the Easter long weekend, which is also the Saudi school holidays, hence the hotel was at 100% occupancy. The hotel is in a fantastic location, our apartment looked out directly over the fountains and we had an unimpeded view of the Burj Khalifa, both of which really are very impressive, especially in the evening. It is a lovely five minute walk past the fountains to reach the Dubai Mall, which is a great hive of entertainment and shopping. So what went wrong?

We arrived for checkin at 12pm, and were asked if we could wait until 3pm to check in, which was fine. The lobby is very small for a hotel, and way too small to cope with a lot of people waiting for their rooms to be available, it actually looks awful when there are people lolling over all the couches and sleeping waiting, but there was nowhere else. The hotel could benefit by providing a better waiting zone, or perhaps have encouraged people out to the outside restaurant with a complimentary cup of coffee whilst they waited. We chose to go to the Dubai mall and potter, and we returned just before 5pm, to find our room was still not ready, that in fact the prior occupants were still in situ, and we were asked by the receptionist to "sit and wait a while....". This would be about the time my husband saw red, and fortunately the manager stepped in, found us another, apparently better, room, and so we checked in there. But the whole process left quite a sour taste, and a very bad impression.

Our room was huge, a 2 bedroom apartment, with 2 full sized bathrooms and a powder room, a kitchen, and a large lounge room. The tiles were marble and the decor was lovely, but it could have been a lot cleaner, I felt. Perhaps this apartment hadn't been readied for letting, as it was not our intended one. Certainly it was cleaned to a better standard the next day, however the balcony hadn't been cleaned for a long time, and it should be cleaned every day, as one of the reasons you pay to stay at this hotel is to sit out on the balcony and enjoy the view! The apartment would be perfect for a family, very comfortable indeed.

Our next issue was the free wifi, which we discovered only applied to one device, and you needed to pay for further access. My phone automatically connected, so then my husband who had to work over the weekend couldn't access his computer, and you couldn't remove one device and change to another. This definitely needed to be made clear to us at checkin, and we could have coped with it, but to not know and find out the hard way was seriously frustrating and again led to my husband being very cranky. Not a great way to start a holiday weekend!

Further injury to my husband's mood was caused by the fact that when he went down to the pool for his morning exercise, he was told that the pool was closed for a monthly clean. At 930am. He just ignored them and swam his 2km, but please, Ramada, if you are coming up to one of your biggest holiday periods of the year, clean the pool BEFORE the holiday weekend, and better yet, get the cleaners to clean the pool before 730am opening time!!!!!

A good hotel should be able to cope with 100% occupancy, this is no excuse for sloppy standards. If this hotel pulled its socks up it could be fantastic. But at a rate of USD$485 per night, we certainly expected more. I hope management reads this review and acts to lift their game, they can do a lot more to maximize their asset.

Room Tip: Choose a room with the Burj and Fountain view, quite spectacular to watch, very pleasant with a glas...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Finuala

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience on Tripadvisor.

With regards to our small dining area and lobby entrance, unfortunately, the building was designed with limited space for this area and our team members are doing their utmost to accommodate as many guest requests as feasible, and I am therefore truly sorry we were unable to meet with your expectations.

However, was concerned reading your comment in regards to the internet usage and pool maintenance. First, the reason we have only one free connection is that we cater to large families here and each of them come with a different device, hence providing a connection to all completely slows down the internet connection. Downloading and other browsing becomes a hassle, hence we have 1 free connection and additional devices are chargeable. This is according to the survey of competitor hotels. We are truly sorry if this was not been informed by our team upon check in, I have personally convey this to the concern department and we have arranged for the required retraining and actions to be taken to prevent reoccurrences. Also, please note that most vital information of the hotel has been written to our welcome card.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

great hotel in a fantastic location. big suites with everything you need for your stay (including washing machine with dryer). suites are a bit worn out and not sterile clean, but we didn't expect more. house keeping was somewhat lousy - on the second day of our stay a guy appeared to ask us if he can clean our room at 7pm (although we were away for the whole day), the next day it was again 8pm when he wanted to "clean" ( = make the bed and change the towels - no cleaning whatsoever happend so far we could tell). we assume that what he wanted were tips that we gave him at the end of our stay and not beforehand.
breakfast staff was also a bit slow - as there was noone at the egg-station one always had to ask for it and even then it took 10 minutes till someone found time to fry an egg... but I like the buffet breakfast very much, especially the arabian section with hoummus, babaghanoush and similar.
valet parking (free!!!) staff was wonderfull and very helpfull in recommending restaurans and sights and our check in and check our went smoothly although we arrived in the middle of the night (2am) and left early in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at Ramada Downtown Dubai.

We have noted your feedback about the cleaning of the room and we are truly sorry for the inconvenience may have caused you. I have personally convey to the concern department to look into this matter to ensure that we are meeting the guests’ expectation. On the other point, we are happy to read your compliments for the Restaurant and the selection of the food and your overall impression are noted.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and assuring you of our best services and prompt attention at all times.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I visited Dubai on my way back from an Afican Safari. I am glad I did. It was August and very hot. I only had 24 hours to see Dubai so I was looking for a hotel in a good location for site-seeing.

Upon arrival, I asked for a pick up from the hotel. They did not show. It wasnt a big deal since the Dubai cabs are clean and safe. The hotel is about a 20 min taxi ride from the airport. Upon checking in, I was really impressed by the room size. It was a full one bedroom apartment. I did not ask for a view of the fountain but I wish I did.

The hotel is right on the Dubai mall. It is accross from the mall itself, fountain and the Burj Dubai. This really isnt a place if you want a large pool but it you want to be close and walking distance from many sites, you cant beat it.

Next to the hotel is a small grocery and a pharmacy. It is very convenient. I walked from the hotel accross the mall to the Dubai Mall to catch the "Hop on Hop Off" Big bus tour. This is the way to see the city quicky. There are two routes and a boat tour. You can take all of them within the day. You can get off at a variety of stops and hop back on. There is also a guided audio tour included. I highly recommend this.

I walked to the Burj Dubia whose entrance is in the Dubai Mall itself. The best thing to do is to order tickets on line. You can do so a month in advance. You need to do so to get the best viewing times. I went to view at sunset. I was there in the summer and it was really hazing. It was also pretty crowed since everyone waits around until the sunset. Once at the top, there isnt much up there except to view. Other views like the Sears Tower are much better since what you see at the top is alot of sand. However, its the tallest building so you need to do it.

Upon check out, I had some of the problems the others had with check out. They tried to charge me for the airport pick up. I would leave yourself some time to check out.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: pick a room that face the fountain
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dogluverSanDiego
Wael116566, General Manager at Ramada Downtown Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear All,

We are glad to learn you have enjoyed your recent stay at the Ramada Downtown Dubai. Your detailed feedback is greatly appreciated. Your comments regarding the charges for airport pick up we are truly sorry for the inconvenience have caused you. Your feedback has been shared with the team members to ensure we are meeting guests’ expectation.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The apartments were not serviced regularly by the housekeeping hence needed to be reminded daily to get fresh towels , sufficient crockery etc

At breakfast the service was poor

Billing had issues so check out took long and even now unresolved

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank JiteshShah

Dear Guest,

First and foremost please accept our apologies for the shortfalls you mentioned following your recent stay with us. I have noted all your comments. However, I would highly appreciate if you could email on info@ramadadowntowndubai.com your reference number in order to investigate the same and reply back to you accordingly.

Please be informed that our team members are doing their utmost to accommodate as many guest requests as feasible, and I am therefore truly sorry we were unable to meet with your expectations.