“A place of extremes”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Moroccan
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The decor is fabulous at Almaz but the service just gets worse on each visit. My husband and I visited last week and unfortunately this will be our last time. We ordered lunch at 13.00 hours and by 14.00 our food arrived, only after several pleadings that we had to leave very soon. There was no explanation given to us why the food was so late, our waiter couldn't understand us and he spoke very little English. When I tried to catch the manager's eye to ask where our food was he was far too busy at the pass having fun and games with the kitchen staff so I had to physically get up off the chair and go to him to ask where our lunch was. When it eventually arrived my chicken kebabs were completely overcooked and totally inedible!! I asked the manager to remove my food and he actually had the audacity to raise his voice at me "you should have told me this when I brought your drinks over!" I replied that we didn't receive our meal my until 40 mins after our drinks; an hour after it was ordered and our drinks arrived 20 minutes after we placed the order!! We were livid!!! I told him to remove the uneaten chicken kebab from our bill and we left immediately. NOT ONE APOLOGY!!

This is so sad to write such an appalling review. The restaurant is in the lovely Emirates Mall, within Harvey Nichols and the decor is very stylish. Please, please Almaz get in some proper trained staff and get rid of your staff who are unemployable in other establishments!!! It is an utter shambles!! Until that time we will stay well away!!

1  Thank 2000Debs

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were two people headed for lunch, since we heard so much about the restaurant.
I have also visited Derriere and 404 from the same company and loved it.

We ordered lentil soup, Falafel and Moroccan style Burgers.

The soup was ok, I cook lentil soup at home all the time, was not any different.
The falafel tasted good, but again nothing special.
The burgers were below average, they tasted like frozen burgers, which you would not expect in a restaurant like this.

I would not go back to eat, but if you want to smoke shisha in an interesting atmosphere, you should definitely try it.

1  Thank loblobs
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Almaz was a pleasant dining exerience. As soon as you enter the place, you are transformed into a wonderful place with tiled floors and a rich atmosphere. The ceiling is dotted with lamps that throw patterened light and shadows all over the place. The food was nice, expecially the tagines and breads. As someone who likes spice, I did long for a bit of it; nevertheless the sweetness of the lamb tagine was a unique and new taste for me. And the small flat breads were fresh and tasty. You have to keep space for desserts which were wonderful and 'bite sized' making it possible for one to try many of them! The raspberry and pistachio mousses were particularly good. They also had a wide selection of traditional sweets. Not my thing but a great place to taste many of them. And the service was very friendly as well. Definitely worth a visit. Get directions before you go or you may spend a lot of time finding it.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

This restaurant is a hidden gem, located inside Harvey Nichols on the third floor of the Mall of the Emirates. It is a world apart from the hustle and bustle of the mall, filled with starry lanterns seemingly floating overhead and low comfortable chairs and lounges. The targines are incredible and cous cous and raisins are served by your waiter directly onto your plate. The lamb melts in your mouth, and the sweet Moroccan tea is the best in town. This restaurant gets very busy, so make sure to book ahead. If you have a bad back or don't like sitting too low, avoid the tables in the middle of the restaurant on the elevated dias. The shisha lounge in the back has lots of character but is a glass-enclosed room, so is absolutely filled with smoke. Avoid this area if it's not your scene.

1  Thank Merrily M
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stopped here for shisha after a shopping trip. The shisha was lovely, and the setting was very tranquil and relaxing, which felt perfect after the long walks round the mall shopping. The service was great and was reasonably priced.