“Simply Wowed!”

Ranked #151 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
Dublin
“Simply Wowed!”
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Thanks to Media One for making my business trip to Dubai something I always looked forward to. The hotel design is very refreshing. The staff there were really friendly and took care of all my requests. The Z:ONE bar and MDEK Pool Lounge are great places to chill out after a day-long meeting. The Hip Vip room was spotless and quite modern. A must try for anyone passing by Dubai.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Media_One_Hotel, Director of Front Office at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, March 13, 2010
Dear aroundtheworld801,

Thank you for choosing Media One Hotel for your recent trip to Dubai. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our extensive facilities and your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back at the Media One Hotel on your next visit.

Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
muscat
Reviewed March 9, 2010

My stay at Media One Hotel was wonderful and amazing. Very courteous and friendly staff. I booked the Cool Room with the Palm Jumeirah View. The location was also central to everywhere I needed to go. Had no trouble catching cabs as the hotel always has them on stand by. It is also not too far from the Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa, the world's Tallest Building. In short, an excellent stay. Will stay here the next time I am in Dubai.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Media_One_Hotel, Director of Front Office at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, March 10, 2010
Dear gru20,

Thank you for your time to review your recent stay with us.

We hope to see you back with us soon and once again thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor.

London
Reviewed February 25, 2010

This has to be the best value-for-money hotel I've ever stayed in. It was very pleasant and really nice rooms.

It's clearly a trendy hotel, aimed presumably at younger travellers and business men. Everything is very new, and it's still relatively quiet so service is very fast, and there's plenty of space / tables free when you need them.

Pool is great, sauna and steam are also o.k.

One note is that the net connections are highly and somewhat randomly filtered, e.g. you can't get to Skype or Flickr, but Skype works if you're already running it. You'll also want to do some preparation in advance if you want to bypass the Dubai firewall.

Highly recommended as a hotel when staying for business / city seeing.

Tip: make sure you ask for a no smoking bedroom. Also the higher the better.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Media_One_Hotel, Director of Front Office at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, February 28, 2010
Dear Kruzzi,

Thank you for taking the time to review Media One on Tripadvisor.

It was a true pleasure to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and consider us as the best value for money Hotel you ever stayed in, which is exactly what we are aiming for when it comes to the experience and services we provide.

We hope to see you back here with us soon to enjoy another stay at Media One!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Trendy new hotel in Dubai. Rooms are modern and well equipped. Convenient location in Dubai Media City. Friendly service.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Media_One_Hotel, Director of Front Office at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, February 23, 2010
Dear mcabiling,

Thank you for your time to review your recent stay with us.

It is encouraging to see that our efforts to provide Hip Hospitality here in Dubai have been so well received by you. Your feedback relating to our friendly service has been shared with all enthusiasts here at Media One Hotel.

Dubai
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I work in KSA and regularly come to Dubai to relax and enjoy the more liberal environment. Although check-in went smoothly and courteously my first impression of the non-smoking room was that it smelled of stale smoke.

I was initially glad to be overlooking the pool until I came back to my room after dinner to be greeted by the sound of thundering house music coming from the pool area. On looking out of the window it appeared there was a DJ playing to an empty pool bar. I used to review clubs and events for one of the world's biggest electronic music magazines so I'm not averse to this style of music, but he was mixing badly to an empty venue and really not selecting appropriate music. Moreover, I was on the 15th floor and even at this height the sound was intrusively loud enough to prevent sleep; on calling the reception they informed me this would go on until 3am.

I really have to question whether hosting this type of event there is worth it for the hotel. I am guessing that, like myself, anyone who stays in any of the rooms that overlook the pool will be subject to the same intrusion. This is presumably an average 25% of their guests at any time(the hotel has 4 sides of which this is 1), if we assume that half of these people will be sufficiently upset by the noise that they will not return to the hotel then, on any given weekend, this setup is alienating approximately 12.5% of Media One's guests. If they are making a fortune from the pool bar that plays inappropriate music then this wouldn't be an issue, but the party looked rather poorly attended; meanwhile i'm sure the alienated guests will tell their friends and colleagues not to bother staying at Media One. What about playing some lounge music or laid back Jazz at tolerable levels, wouldn't that be more unique in Dubai's entertainment scene than another venue for hard commercial house music?

I complained to the front desk and insisted I move room. They found me the same grade of room on the other side of the hotel luckily; had another room not been available then I have no idea how I would have coped with the noise and might have had to check-out. Having moved room I called down to the front desk several times since I had forgotten items in the first room. Despite calling 4 times the phone rang out and no reply came. Eventually I had to go downstairs to speak to the receptionist myself to arrange this.

This was 1-30am, reception was deserted and I have no idea why it had not been possible to answer my calls over the previous half hour. The receptionist sent a concierge to escort me for the retrieval of my items.

Previous comments mention the hotel's desperate attempts to be 'cool', whatever that means these days it certainly isn't going on at Media One. I would echo previous reviewers and feel the property really needs to sort out what it wants to be. Is it a business property serving visitors to the TECOM developments, or is it some sort of urban party venue for early 20 somethings that want to drink excessively?

If it is the former then management need to rein-in what are apparently attempts to be the latter; life in the hotel seems to take place to a constant backdrop of loud commercial house music; it's in the lobby, the lift, at breakfast, by the pool - is it necessary to be constantly exposed to this?

Looking at the guests who came into breakfast the majority are businessmen and women who aren't there for some sort of sauced-up Ibiza weekend meanwhile the hotel's atmosphere, Friday brunch and bars all seem aimed at bringing-in a crowd of wannabe reality TV contestants that you can observe staggering wastedly in and out of the lobby on a Friday evening.

Of course, cherry-picking these two demographics wouldn't be an issue if servicing one of them didn't come at the detriment of pleasing the other. But, after overhearing conversations at breakfast, I know for a fact I won't be the only one not returning to Media One. I hope that pool party makes them enough money to compensate for the fact they will have very few repeat guests.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LostinthePost
Media_One_Hotel, Operations Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, February 14, 2010
Dear LostinthePost,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We are taking your points seriously and are in the process of re-balancing all speakers on the pool deck to ensure that incidents such as the one you faced will not happen again.

Stephane Karl – our director of music, a former resident DJ of the Papagayo St Tropez, and Nikki Beach St Tropez, has been made aware of your constructive comments.
The music provided by our resident and guest DJ’s is now stopped after midnight.
The space then turns into a late night chill out lounge with dimmed musical atmosphere.

The background music of the public areas of the hotel has also been looked into and we are now exclusively providing a lounge vibe.

We have taken the decision of approaching our business with a very hip curve, similar to the likes of hotels in Miami and Los Angeles.
It is true that we have chosen not to be a traditional hotel with generic elevator music and atmosphere: we chose to play video clips of David Guetta and the Black Eyed Peas among others…

We thank you again for taking the time to highlight your concerns and would be delighted to take on the challenge of having you for another visit.

Sebastien Noat
Operations Manager
Varna
Reviewed February 8, 2010

We have just returned from our holiday in Dubai stayed in Media one hotel.We are very satisfied of our stay there.Everything was on a high level.The rooms are nice,clean and modern.We stayed in a hip room and can say that the space is more then enough..There is a large wardrobe area,where you can place everything ,including the suitcases.The bathroom,TV area are trendy.The pool area,fitness center etc.are large and modern.The stuff there is very polite and helpful.
There is a nice business center as well.

The hotel is very near to the beach(Jumeihra beach residence)-1km and Dubai marina-500m.However having a car for this hotel is recommended.Mall of Emirates,Burj al Arab is just 5-10min with car.The city center is 35min with car.

The hotel is a bit far from the city center,but I don't think is worth to stay in the center as it's dirty,noisy and crowdy.If you are interested of visiting Dubai attractions,malls and the beach and don't like to spend a lot of money for a hotel,this is your hotel.

If you like to spend time around the local markets and shops book your hotel in the center,but

Remark:
The pool area is used for parties from Thursday to Sunday and private parties for the rest of the week.Everything is cool,but if you are a bit old and don't like to hear the noise from the pool area(it's just a bit) ask for a higher room-14 and above.The pool is on the 8th floor.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dim_yy
Media_One_Hotel, Director of Front Office at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, February 14, 2010
Dear dim_yy,

Thank you very much for the compliments which you expressed in your review of our hotel.
I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.