“Hotel service declining”

Ranked #152 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Melbourne, Australia
“Hotel service declining”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Media One 2 years ago in January for 3 nights and had a great time. My overnight stay last Friday was a completely different experience.

Checkin was clumsy, unprofessional and was not the warm welcoming experience I had the previous time.

After finding my reservation the first thing the receptionist said to me was that there was an event on and so she had out my on the 19th floor (facing the pool) to minimise the noise. Upon entering the room at 7pm I could see why she tried to address that 'minor' issue before I had a chance - I could hear the base music thumping until 3am. Not amused.

I had dinner down at the cafe and the hotel lobby had constant flow of loud, often intoxicated party guests who were yelling from the lifts to the lobby yet staff did not do anything stop this. Very frustrating.

The hotel seems to position themselves now towards focusing on the club night, disregarding the true customer - people staying at the hotel.

The service at the breakfast buffet was also rude and at checkout, I had to navigate my way out to a taxi carrying my 4 bags with no assistance from concierge or reception.

Media One is a well appointed hotel that appears to have lowered it's service standards in recent times. Management have lost sight of what the hotels core product offering is and I would not recommend this hotel anymore I Dubai which I have done many times in the past.

The week before I stayed at Media One, I spent 3 Nights at the Conrad Hotel (SZR). This new hotel was only slightly more expensive and at the Conrad, you'll receive exceptional service, huge luxury room and a more centralised location. I hope Media One gets their act together and return to their former service levels as the hotel design and facilities are good.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Kane1978
MediaOneHotel, General Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Kane1978,

I appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent 1 night stay with us on Friday 24th January.
Media One is a high energy business hotel during the week and at the weekends(Thursday night and Friday) is a popular social and entertainment destination for many Dubai residents. Your arrival coincided with a very busy Friday which was why your stay was more animated than on the previous occasion. I have noted your feedback on your dining experience in cafeM, and agree that whilst offering a lively ambiance this must be well managed to ensure animated guests do not affect the stay experience of others. I have also noted your comments regarding having to carry your own bags to the taxi and whilst our bellmen may have been busy with other guests, we should of recognized your needs and offer assistance. I will be contacting you personally to discuss further feedback on your stay experience.

Looking forward to welcoming you back at Media One Hotel.
Yours sincerely,
Mark Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The location is the strongest attraction for me , its in the heart of Media city and few KM from Marina Walk and all Marina's attractions.
The room is small but very well equipped and the bathroom with the glass wall is very smartly design even though in a small space.
WiFi free in the lobby and good seating area for a small meeting.
Check in and Check out were very quick. Don't expect luxury , its a hotel for a professional visitor and it is of very good quality for that purpose

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FIbrahim
MediaOneHotel, General Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear FouadIbrahim,

I would like to thank you for your exceptional review. I was pleased to see that you found our rooms clean and well equipped and the location very convenient for your needs. We are very happy that we provided you high quality services and you were happy with your overall stay!

Looking forward in welcoming you back soon at Media One Hotel!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is my second visit to Media One and I doubt I'd be returning. On my first stay I was given a NW facing room which is probably the better view, but my bedding and room smelt of either damp or food. Towels too, maybe the laundry room is very near the kitchen. I didn't try any of the food as the restaurants had a club feel to them. Oh and they stole a towel I left in my room which they have still failed to return or apologize for.

My second visit (was booked by my colleague) is definitely a mixed bag. I was initially given a room facing East. View 50meters from a grim dark building. I asked for my room to be changed but no other rooms were offered apart from a noisy room facing the pool. Room was smaller then my first room and Shower would not deliver hot water. I asked again for an alternative room and surprisingly was given the smelly room from my first visit. At least the view makes up it.

On both accounts Internet is very slow. Hotel service is also varied, it depends who is on the front counter and am still reluctant to try the food!

Room Tip: Try and get a NW facing room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear akanoodles,

Thank you for taking the time to review Media One Hotel.
I had the chance to check up all the details with my team concerning the issues you faced during your stay with us. In your review you have combined feedback from two visits. I would like to ensure you that no towel was stolen from your room. The towel was in our lost and found items with the Housekeeping team, and because the towel had not been reclaimed after three months it has been donated to charity. However, I would be more than happy to buy you a new towel during your next visit at Media One.
Regarding the freshness of your room, I can assure you that our Housekeeping team works really hard to turn around rooms during busy periods and no ensure that they are clean and fresh. If you felt for whatever reason that the room did not reach your expectations, you could of alerted our Front Office team who could of arranged a room move.
Media One has four restaurants and bars and as a life-style hotel, these venues are in keeping with the theme. I encourage you on your next visit to eat in any of our venues, as I am confident you will enjoy the freshly prepared dishes available.
Please contact me directly at mark@mediaonehotel.com to advise on your next date of stay as I would like to meet with you personally.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at Media One Hotel.
Yours sincerely,
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times for business, each time for over a week. It's located in a safe area within walking distance to the marina which has a bunch of restaurants and shops. There are a few restaurants in the offices nearby, including a pizza place in the building next door that are good (and much cheaper) than the two hotel options.

I've never had a problem with any of the hotel services, my room is always clean and the staff are responsive. However anyone who is considering staying over a Thursday or Friday should know that they operate a full-blown club on the pool deck on the 5th floor. The music is unbelievably loud and goes all night. I have to get a room on the top floor, on the opposite side of the pool deck to even attempt a decent night's sleep.

Room Tip: Highest floor possible, away from the pool deck!!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
MediaOneHotel, General Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear katherine402,

I appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.
I was happy to read your great review following your recent stay with us. It gives me great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I am also pleased to know that you found our rooms clean, and that the overall services in the hotel lived up to your expectations.
Next time you visit us I would suggest you try our other outlets where you can find great deals for food and drinks, such as Happy Hour, Ladies Night.
THE DEK on 8 tends to be a lively venue at times, so please next time let us know when you are coming back and we will try to book you a room on the other side of the hotel away from the noise.
I would like to thank you for choosing Media One and we hope to welcome you back soon.

London
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Excellent location, clean tidy and good facilities, the staff were average, they mean well but seem to be unable at times to perform the simplest of tasks. The prices were acceptable but overall I expected better service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aygyll1981
MediaOneHotel, General Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Aygyll1981,

I would like to thank you for taking time to write this review after your stay at Media One. I am happy to read that you found the hotel facilities and location very helpful and satisfied your needs. We try to go beyond in terms of our service, and I was disappointed to see that we didn't live up to your expectations.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at Media One and we will try to make your stay one to remember.

Cochabamba, Bolivia
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Media one is my favorite hotel in Dubai, every trip is a nice experience.

The hotel is vibrant, lot of activities, art exhibitions and good weekend parties, this hotel have it everything to make Dubai a good experience. Is located close to the Marina and the beach also not too far from the Dubai Mall and the Mall of the Emirates.

For business and pleasure is the perfect place, Mad Men mondays are a great way to start the week and the brunch on fridays the perfect combination for finish it.
In the past two years I being at the hotel at least 8 times and every time is a new discovery.
The best experience for one of the most fabulous cities.

Room Tip: Upper floors with the view of Jumeirah
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mikisan
Dear mikisan,

I would like to thank you for your exceptional review following your recent stay at Media One Hotel. I was happy to read that you had a great experience and you found our hotel vibrant and modern. We try to be a different hotel in terms of service and experience we provide to our guests and thank you for making note of the great promotions that we offer in all of our outlets.
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay at Media One Hotel. Looking forward to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Very nice hotel with central location of Media City. Easy access from highway. Short distance to the palm and Dubai Marina. Hotel refers more to a younger crowd as infrastructur is very moder, state-of-the-art.
Nice arranged breakfast, even though towards the end not all items are still available. Early birds may profit from a better variety.
Overall very nice experience!

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are more quiet. There are pool parties on Thursday and Friday nights.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Recommendet
Dear Recommendet,

I’m happy to see that you enjoyed your stay at Media One. It was great to see you found the hotel modern and our location convenient. Thank you for making note of the great breakfast we serve in The Med Restaurant. We appreciate and value your feedback so please let us know what specific items would you like to see at our Early Birds Brunch, as we are constantly trying to improve the experience in all of our outlets.
Yes we are a hotel for the young at heart and will be very happy to welcome you back soon!