“excellent hotel but cheats on checkout”

Media One Hotel Dubai
Ranked #149 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
Filo5
“excellent hotel but cheats on checkout”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

One of the best hotels I have visited.
Rooms have nice layout. Spotlessly clean.
Excellent service. Everybody else speaks excellent English, except the front desk.
One of the best lunches in city, they serve bento excellent bento boxes in bar downstairs.
Pool area at 8th floor converts to good and popular bar at the evenings.
Middle of nowhere unless you are visiting companies nearby.

Hotel cheats on currency conversion at checkout. I specifically ticket them not to do from Dirham to EUR currency conversion, the hotel did the conversion anyway (making me to loose several hundreds of Euros in conversion) and hide the fact by not providing me the credit card slip. I had to ask my bank to charge back the transaction.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MediaOneHotel, Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear filo5

Many thanks for your email regarding the recent stay and I was pleased to read that you were impressed with the service and the hotel in general.

I was disappointed to read that you had challenges with the front desk team. Rest assured, our offer to convert the currency is only confirmed with either a signature on the credit card receipt or more commonly these days, the entry of a PIN. Please do contact me on luke@mediaonehotel.com to discuss as it is absolutely not our intention to lose you hundreds of euros. It is a transaction that can be easily cancelled and reversed at the time and therefore I am confused as to why this was not done.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you so that we can discuss the incident in person. In the meantime, I do hope this would not deter you from returning to Media One Hotel in the future.

Media One Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Under the terms of the booking they were to debit my credit card if I had not arrived by 6pm. When I arrived, 2 couples, we had no booking said reception. WHAT! Well we could not debit your card. I said that is because I lost it in Russia. However we are here and it is 11. 45 pm hot, tired, thirsty and hungary. OK said the manager just pay us another $300aud and i will reinstate the booking. YOU WILL DO WHAT? I explained the lost card, offered my travel money card for full immediate payment, still no good. I walked away leaving my travel friend to deal as I was too agro to continue and would have only made worse. Eventually we had the booking reinstated. With the number of issues I encountered no more Media One for me. Poor attempt at customer service by the night manager.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
MediaOneHotel, Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear workthetour

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay at the hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you had a difficult arrival experience which was bought about from operating a full hotel during your stay in mid October 2012. When bookings are either not guaranteed or are guaranteed until a certain time, we are placed in a difficult position when/if the room is needed. At the time of your arrival we had limited options (one room) and I was pleased that we were able to accommodate you in that last room.

Please do contact me on luke@mediaonehotel.com to discuss further and although the stay was now more than 6 months ago I do hope we can discuss the inconvenience of the arrival experience further to hopefully redeem ourselves in order for you to return at some stage.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Generally a very nice hotel. Modern, clean, conveniently located near Marina area. Excellent service. Only issue was after hours party from Bruno Mars concert. Outside by pool area there was a DJ raging until the wee hours of morning and our room was directly above this. Still not too bad.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MediaOneHotel, Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear camrun64

Greetings from Dubai and Media One Hotel!

Thank you for your review on the stay you had with us last month. It was great to see you found the hotel clean, modern and our location convenient. We strive to go beyond in terms of our service and thank you for making note of the excellent service you received from our team.

We have many different styles of rooms and we did have availability on the night of the Bruno Mars concert for palm or Sheikh Zayed facing views. If you could kindly contact me on luke@mediaonehotel.com so that we can make a note on your guest profile to recommend another side of the hotel for your next stay. I do hope that the active environment of the hotel will not deter you from returning in the future.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review us and I look forward to welcoming you back to Media One in the future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Just an average business class hotel. Rooms pretty small. No view as advertised on the website...just buildings with a dot of blue sea view. No real atmosphere and no real willingness to be friendly or attentive. Basically "here's your key...now don't bother us until you leave". Quite a mission to get a second key even though you are a couple - security reasons is the excuse. Why is it that even when they know 2 people are in the room you only get soap and shampoo for one?? Extremely disappointing tech facilities. TV old. No HDMI connection.Internet in room 20 dirham per hour...just ridiculous. Food and beverage prices just as ridiculoius - even by Dubai standards. Probably fine if your company is picking up the tab. I will definitely consider other options in the future.

Room Tip: I wish you well.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Darin L

Thank you for your review on Media One Hotel.

With regards to our rooms, we have many categories with different views. Obviously I was disapppointed to read that you would not return but if you chose to do so I have noted in your profile to discuss which view you would prefer (Sheikh Zayed Road, Palm, city etc...) on your return.

With regards to the second key for the room, I have re-iterated to the front office team to issue the keys with our usual identification checks to ensure our guest safety is always considered.

Our technological features in the rooms are continually reviewed and I have passed on your feedback to our IT team to consider them. Similarly to our views, we also have internet packages available in the room rate and I have noted to discuss these also if you wish to return.

With regards to food and beverage prices, we consider our value for money index on guest surveys very highly and I was disappointed to read that you considered our prices high. We have many happy hours, lunch offers and competitively priced ladies nights and other promotions in the hotel and should you wish to return, our team will be sure to invite you to experience them.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide feedback, without which, we cannot strive to continually improve our hotel. Please do contact me on luke@mediaonehotel.com to discuss your stay in more detail and I would sincerely like to welcome you back to the hotel to offer myself and the team a chance to redeem ourselves.

Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Media One is very conveniently placed for both Tourists and Business users, it is right next to the Media City Amphitheatre where lots of concerts and other events take place, it is 10 minutes walk to the beach.
Its convenient for the Jumeriah Palm for those who wish to visit this during their stay.
It about 40 minutes in a Taxi from Dubai International Airport in the direction of Abu Dhabi and costs about 100 Dirham in a public taxi from the Airport, where a standing charge of 25 Dirhams will automatically be added.
The rooms are adequate, nothing special in the rooms - not much i can say about this really, separate Loo, bathroom separated from the Bedroom part of the room by a clear glass wall, giving the effect of being more spacious than they actually are. On a couple of occasions i have had to ask for room items like Coffee to be replenished as this has been missed.
There are 4 places to eat, ground floor, Cafe-M where the food choices are much better, you are unable to drink alcohol outside this cafe. Z-one this is the Bar on the Ground floor, the food is oriental and simple finger food, in recent months a smoked glass panel has been set around the outside area of the bar which now means you can drink alcohol outside, this has made this bar much more popular than it was before and it is often difficult to get a table. Dek on 8th, this is the bar around the pool, on a Friday there is a South African feel currently and DJ's are invited .... house type music is played, these nights are very popular and it can take a time to get a drink, food again is very finger food type but with more of an Arabic feel to it. Those rooms over this bar could be quite noisy if you are a light sleeper. Med on 8th Floor, this is where Breakfast is served, there is no European section for breakfast which means no Pork products, there is an outside area, however as its on the 8th floor it can get quite windy, if you sit out here you find you have to go and find Waiters for coffee and for cutlery if the tables are not already setup, not eaten dinner in this restaurant as there are lots of restaurants in Dubai and therefore lots of choice for dinner.
The Sun does not reach the Pool until after lunch, as it rises behind the hotel. It does however reach the area between the pool and the outside bit of the Med restaurant, there are a few sunbeds there but as this is the only place to sunbath until the afternoon these are very popular.

Room Tip: if you are a light sleeper avoid rooms which overlook the Dek on the 8th.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Michelle J
MediaOneHotel, Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Michelle J

Thank you for taking the time to review Media One Hotel.

I have passed on your comments regarding the replacement coffee in the room to our housekeeping manager to ensure this does not happen again. The DEK on 8 on our 8th floor certainly has increased in popularity since recently undergoing a refurbishment and I apologise if it took longer to serve than normal. In the summer we are reviewing our set up to ensure we serve the often 2000 + strong crowd more effectively.

The feedback on the terrace breakfast area is noted and has been passed onto the Restaurant Manager. This is a section of the restaurant and is therefore serviced by the restaurant and I apologise on this occassion that you did not receive a suitable level of attention.

Many thanks once again for taking the time to review the hotel and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Yours Sincerely
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel was clean and modern. My room was a bit small, but well equipped. TV was at a strange angle from the bed. Not a problem if you a single traveller and could easily see but it could be an issue if you are with a partner. I had a minor problem with a leak from the ceiling but that was corrected very quickly so I was impressed with the service. I hired the hotel driver for a few hours for a quick sight seeing tour. Well worth it. He was very knowledgeable and I got to see exactly what I wanted. Great gym, swimming and sauna facilities. I was conducting a training session there and the training facilities were excellent and the service for the training rooms was also great. Breakfast average. Lunch buffet very good. Room service meal choices were a bit limited, but delivered promptly. When I first checked in there was a strong smell of stale alcohol in the lobby ( a bar is next to the lobby), but this was OK on subsequent days.

Room Tip: I had the top floor. Nice city views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MediaOneHotel, Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Kim

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review on tripadvisor.com.

I was pleased to read that your business meeting went well on our 7th floor and look forward to welcoming you back for further meetings. Please contact me on luke@mediaonehotel.com if I can assist with this.

We are reviewing feedback regarding the positioning of the TVs in the rooms and I can understand this would have been an inconvenience. I apologise for this. I was pleased to see you had a great city tour with our driver and I have thanked the driver for providing this great experience to you. Our city tours are becoming very popular with all of our guests. Finally with regards to room service we are reviewing (and extending) our room service menu to ensure it is varied but I was pleased to see the service aspect was spot on.

Thank you once again for sharing your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Media One in the future.

Media One Hotel.
Yzerfontein, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Clean modern hotel with fashionable room even if a bit small. Well placed for getting to action spots and Malls. We stayed for a weekend away but would probably choose somewhere else next time as it is really more of a business hotel for trendy media types who like loud music - Staff, service and restaurants were very good

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MediaOneHotel, Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Adrian R

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. I was pleased to hear that you had a great stay although it was disappointing to read that you would not return.

Whist we are located in Media City we certainly do cater for many other guests, both corporate and leisure and on your future visits to Dubai, it would be great if myself or one of my concierge team can help design elements of your stay so that we do not feel like a hotel for trendy media people only. We do have access to leisure destinations, beach clubs and tour providers that would help make your stay more leisurely!

Thank you again for the positive feedback and please do let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you.