“Nice place for Media City”

Media One Hotel Dubai
Ranked #133 of 555 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is probably not the best location if you are planning on exploring downtown or the creek... However I was staying the the Media City area for business, which it is ideally located for. The hotel provided nice clean rooms and I experienced great service throughout my stay.
The bar was very nice and the food was a good quality.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
MediaOneHotel, Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Anthony H

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at Media One Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had a great experience at the hotel and would look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future to once again enjoy our great location, excellent food and service.

Please do let me know if I can help you at all with your future visits!

There are newer reviews for Media One Hotel Dubai

Reviewed March 5, 2013

VERY POOR customer service.
Rude to explain.
The Receptionist on the phone took 15 minutes to understand what I was saying.

Furthermore if you are on a business trip the travel agent cannot pay them because they do not accept third parties cards, no bill back can be arranged. Only can happen if you pay 7 days in advance.

They have sent an invoice to us so we thought fine we can make a bank transfer instead NOT, they do not accept bank transfer. I mean, a bit of trust????

5 star hotel? I doubt it!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
MediaOneHotel, Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear 142Luisa727

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor.com.

I was disappointed to read the comment regarding our receptionist's misunderstanding of your request and I apologise for the inconvenience faced in explaining your situation to the member of our team.

With regards to 3rd party payments, similarly to most properties we do ask for identification, copies of the credit card (if payment will be done through this method) and guarantee forms to be completed. We will revisit our timing required for this and if seven days is deemed excessive we will reduce. This is, however, done to ensure correct & fast flow of billing on check out.

Many thanks for your review once again and I do hope this will not deter you from returning to Media One in the future. Without such feedback we cannot strive to improve our service to our guests.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

In a part of Dubai there is an area called Media City. Named for no good reason other than free lance journalists rent desk space in the area, it is a dollop of high rise tower blocks that overlook the marina at Mina Seyahi home of the Dubai Boat Show.

Among the sprawl of high rise towers, many hotels via for business each trying to attract a different audience. One such is the Media One Hotel which endeavors to sell itself to the Uber Kool. Using names such as Hip, Cool and Urban it gives the rooms it offers different names to indicate their standard.

It tries to be trendy and succeeds with embarrassing success. The airport transfers are carried out using Mini Coopers at twice the price of a regular Toyota taxi and the documentation in the rooms is, in a groovy sort of way, reminiscent of Austin Powers movies.

Designed for the young rich things who flock to Dubai to spend Daddy's money it makes anyone over 20 feel old and over 25 ancient! The receptionist took my passport at check in, noticed my date of birth and allocated me fossil status.

Occupying floors 10 to 19 in the 43 Storey tower block it is never the less an efficient place to stay. Clean, tidy with adequate facilities this is not meant to be the place to take someone for a romantic weekend romp but it is very useful for those who visit the boat show each year if only because it is walking distance from the show entrance.

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
MediaOneHotel, Manager at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear BolshyNomad

Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay at Media One Hotel.

Whilst we do aim to be different and offer HIP hospitality, the basics of service are absolutely essential to the ongoing success of the hotel. I presume we should take that as a compliment that staying here feels like an Austin Powers movie - as we do like to provide a unique experience.

In regards to the airport pick ups, we do have a different approach to airport pick ups in regards to the Mini Clubman and if you would prefer one of our Ford Flex picks up I will make a note of it in your guest profile.

Thank you once again for taking the time to offer feedback and I do hope you choose to stay with Media One again on your return visit to Dubai. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel is in a good location, near the metro, and the 'modern' concept is neat.

However....

- the rooms are VERY small
-there was dirt smeared on the bathroom door
-the whole 19th floor smelled like stale cigarette smoke, the smell seemed to be embedded in the carpet and furniture
-the bathroom and bedroom are divided only by a glass wall so you can see everything which was awkward since I was staying with my mom
- the door of our room had dents all in it, there had obviously been a fight and it seemed like one person had been hiding in the room while someone else tried to beat down the door. To see evidence of this was disconcerting to say the least. Management knew about the dents but had not taken action to repair them.

I think for the same price you could definitely get something much nicer.

Room Tip: Not the 19th floor!...maybe the other floors smell less stale?
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Lisa J

Thank you for your recent feedback from your stay with us.

I was clearly disappointed with the comments regarding the room. Our rooms face a strict, thorough cleaning and checking process and clearly in this case we did not deliver to our usual standard.

Our hotel has been a non smoking hotel for 3 months now and this process involved a full cleaning schedule of all previous smoking floors so I will ensure we investigate how the 19th floor had a stale smoke smell.

Once again, I appreciate your feedback and will certainly discuss the shortfalls with my team to ensure we do not disappoint again.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I picked this hotel for a business trip as it was conveniently located for work in the Internet City - just a short walking distance away. The decor of the hotel is zany and takes a little getting used to. The rooms were quite small - but works if you are spending only the night in the rooms. The angle of the TV to the beds was rather weird though - not conducive to watching. The rooms were very clean and the bath-room did not seem too cramped. The breakfast spread was great with lots of options. The health club was small - only 3 treadmills. So, if you are keen on getting your workout and running is the thing that you do, then definitely plan on getting there by 6:30 am - else you may have to wait. The check-out experience was probably the only thing that rankled though - they had only 2 staff at the reception handling both check-in and check-out and I had a 15 minute wait (at 8:30 am) before I could reach the counter. Worth considering if you are staying single and with work around this area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Samyukth S

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and I am pleased to see it was a great location for your visit to Dubai.

I have taken note of your comments about the angle of the TV and will ensure we develop ways to improve this aspect of the guest room. Our front office team has recently expanded and I hope that, should you return to Dubai, you will see a quicker front desk experience.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope the delay on check out will not deter you from returning to Media One in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Location is great, staff and service are really good, especially breakfast and entryway/security guys who will run outside over the street to catch you a taxi if needed. The Deck at the 8th floor is pretty cool, although rooms hygyene could have been a bit better.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank vm-ns-rs

Dear vmfromns

Thank you for posting your positive feedback on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay.

I have passed on your comments regarding the teams at the front driveway and MED restaurant and am pleased you enjoyed our recently refurbished DEK on 8 bar on the 8th floor.

It was disappointing to read of the hygiene standards in your room and I would appreciate if you could contact me on luke@mediaonehotel.com to learn more specifically what was lacking, hygiene wise within the room as we do have strict cleaning procedures.

Thank you once again for your feedback and hopefully we can welcome you back to Media One hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I spent some 5 nights at the Media One Hotel Dubai. What we liked is the friendly and helpful staff, breakfast buffet has much to offer. We got a quiet room, the room itself was not too big, but ok, nice view to the sea. Dubai Marina in walking distance and also JBR Walk. Taxis waiting right outside.

However around the bath tub there was a bit of mold also the shower curtain was moldy and yellow at the bottom which was disgusting. I don´t understand that because changing a new shower curtain is so cheap and easy. Also they put the furniture into this room in a very illogical and curious way: if someone would try to watch TV from the bed, you would get a stiff neck. Also there is no door to the bathroom and the wall between bathroom and bedroom is completey made out of glass! So you can see everything. If you are not very close you might feel uncomfortable!
No free internet in the room, only in the lobby. On weekends they have very loud club music playing from the pool level (8) which is quite disturbing until 3/4 am. Even though windows were closed, it was very loud. We know that the Media One characterises itself as a modern and young/funky hotel, but this loud music is way too much.
But all in all we had a good time there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank prophet_s1976

Dear prophet_s1976

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us. It was pleasing to hear that, in general, you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

Our rooms are of a unique design and please do let us know on your return trip of your preferences and providing we have availability we do have other styles of rooms to offer.

We collate and analyse all feedback received in order for us to make decisions to improve our guests' experience and the comments you had with regards to the TV location and movement will certainly be used to make these key decisions.

Your experience regarding the pool area is a concern and I apologise if this was beyond your expectations. Our music is shut off at 3am at the very latest & reduced from 2am so it is a worry that, based on your feedback, the noise carried on until 4am. I am unsure on where this noise could have come from but will certainly investigate it with my team.

Thank you once again for your comments and I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.