“Bad check in service, but manager at front desk made it much better”

Media One Hotel Dubai
Ranked #149 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
Doha, Qatar
“Bad check in service, but manager at front desk made it much better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I came with a friend to stay at this hotel, and have to say the service at the reception desk was horrible. It took us almost 40 minutes to check in (we arrived at midnight and got into our rooms a little past 1 a.m.) because of the two people trying to check us in. They initially told us that the room we were going to get will be noisy for our stay because of the J.Lo concert. I indicated I wanted a room that was not going to be as noisy, and that is what took so long - in the end, they put us in the initial room (with noise) and then told us we were getting upgraded (they tried to get us to pay for the upgrade) the next day. We were told to leave our suitcases in the room the following morning, come to reception and let them know that we are changing rooms and that when we got back to the hotel after going shopping, that they would immediately give us our new room keys. We did that, thinking everything would be smooth, but sadly, it was not. We had to wait another half an hour until we asked to speak with a manager, who was great. Sue Chua, the Assistant Front Office Manager, was so good that it was to the point that I asked for her card and that I would be commenting on her (and I normally don't go on and give reviews.) She came in and handled the situation appropriately, but quickly getting us into our rooms, ensuring our luggage was moved to us (she hand delivered the luggage) and provided us with free internet. The added touch was what turned things around for us. Although I think the check in method was not efficient and the staff working at the reception desk were not customer focused, the manager was amazing.

If it wasn't for the manager Sue Chua, we probably would have checked out the hotel and gone to stay at a different hotel. She assured me that she would take my complaints and feedback and work to make the next guest have a better experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool were noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Travelled to Dubai Dec 11th for a critical business meeting and decided to stay at Media one instead of my usual hotel Radisson Blu, Internet City. They were helpful on booking my room remotely, as well as pickup from airport was there waiting for me when I arrived. That was the end of the good news. Check in process was mind numbingly slow, despite the fact that it was 3 am and I was the only guest checkin in. Then I go up to room 1122 and the water is lukewarm, cannot take a shower ! So I wait till morning to shower. ! Next day when I came back to the room, none of the wet towels I had placed in the tub were replaced ! The following day, exact same thing. They do not replace at all, 5 days later, I have one towel left, so to make sure it's replaced, I put it in tub and soak it. Believe it or not I come in in the evening to find they have hung it to dry, to make me re use it !

Additionally, the hotel has Disco nite every Tueday evening, so it is completely impossible to work at night. Never mind that its a business hotel, not a beachside resort. The service in the breakfast area is terrible, you literally have to chase down a waiter to get you coffee. One the last day I go shopping and have a tonne of bags so I leave them at reception to get the, carried up for me to my room, and I had to wait 1 hour, make 2 calls to convince them to bring my bags up.

All in all the worst hotel I have stayed in Dubai, I do not recommend anyone stay there if they are travelling for business, or expect much in terms of service.

Room Tip: Do not select room that is on same side as the pool, they have disco night 2 times a week.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Agatha G
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

it s a very nice hotel, 10 minutes walk to the nearest metro station, ultra modern decoration & design, clean enough as 4 *, a bit expensive , near the palm, but you don t have a view, its blocked by a building they have good staffs, rooms a bit small

Room Tip: choosed a hip room, try to get bigger one
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Excellent room, great staff and facilities at a great price. Pool bar was great, located a bit off the main drag but a great hotel. Modern, bright and got a good nights sleep! I enjoyed my stay and would stay again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Nicosia, Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Having read very mixed bag of reviews of the Media One Hotel, I was a bit hesitent. I had a late flight and especially an early morning check-in with potentially unhelpful staff did not appeal to me at all.

However, I had a great experience in Media One from the start to the end. All the staff I came across was nice and helpful and I never had to wait around for anything. Room was nice with a bit of a retro twist and the internet very fast. I also had no problem with the breakfast - for sure I have seen bigger breakfast buffets but this one had everything you needed as well, and the breakfast area was kept tidy until the end.

I would agree on two points earlier reviewers have mentioned: Thursday nights are very noisy, even if you are relatively far from the bar on the 8th floor. It's ok if you are a good sleeper but otherwise you will find this annoying. Secondly, the "hip" room I was staying was perfect for one but might be a bit on the smaller size for two.

Nice additional touch was two free bottles of water in the room on arrival, on the - side there was no hair dryer in the room which usually is one of the standard staples. Overall though I was pleased with my stay and would book again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (not sure if they have any though...) if you plan to stay at the end of the wee...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Room smelt strongly of cigarettes which was unpleasant as both are non smokers, breakfast didn’t have a great choice and the pool didn’t get the sun there was also quite a strong breeze so not great to hangout ar, not a great experience and found the staff very unfriendly. Would not recommend or revisit based on my experience

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Al Muharraq, Bahrain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Good location- close to everything in Dubai marina and very welcoming staff, apart from reception where they take forever to check you into your room.. This hotel is very expensive- small rooms, limited facilities. Food is very pricey too. Dont think i'll be staying there again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
MediaOneHotel, Director of Operations at Media One Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Anon409,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at Media One

We are delighted that you liked the hotel location and it made it easy for you to reach the places you needed. We apologise for the inconvenience of your experience with our Front Desk, but rest assured we strife to reach excellence in customer service and will review the current programme with Front Office.

However, we were happy to hear that overall you found the staff welcoming.

Best Regards