“Good Hotel for Business Trip”

Citymax Hotels Bur Dubai
Ranked #176 of 550 Hotels in Dubai
Dehradun, India
“Good Hotel for Business Trip”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I am staying in this hotel from past two years for one or two nights on every month. This ia good hotel is situated in convenient location & the staff is courteous.There housekeeping staff is very honest. I was stayed in on 4th March 13 on Room # 652 & left my two thousand INR left somewhere in the room & forget. When I came back from outside noticed the money was place on my bed.Yes the Rooms are small & I have to ask for the Room with Bath tub not the Shower tray. Rest everything is good about the hote

Room Tip: Ask for a Room with Bath Tub.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
CitymaxBD, General Manager at Citymax Hotels Bur Dubai, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Mr. Sanjeev2724,

Thank you for your honest comments on Trip Advisor and for your continued support, its most appreciated.

Please advise me of your next visit to Citymax Bur Dubai as I would like to meet you in person (walter.knight@citymaxhotels.com)

Regards
Walter Knight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Bursa, Turkey
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Citymax is conveniently located for business travellers. Rooms are small. Only cable connection in the rooms. Wi-Fi is costly. Intercontinental breakfast but not too many to choose from. So if you look for average quality and budget price, this hotel is ok. But exactly not good for ones seeking luxury

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank UmutA
CitymaxBD, General Manager at Citymax Hotels Bur Dubai, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear UmutA,

Thank you for your positive comments on Trip Advisor related to your experience in your last visit to Dubai at Citymax Bur Dubai.

We’ve taken your comments related to the wifi in the rooms and would like to inform you that we are looking at changing our policies related to charged wifi in the future. With this in mind, we hope that by September 2013 we are in the position to offer our customers a better experience.

We certainly look forward to meeting up with you on your next visit to Dubai.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Place is not that good.Need to work on customer service.Everything is bunched in one place on the first floor in the lobby.Nothing around in the area.Need to do some walking to get to most places.Cabs are there if you need to get around.Deira best location I think in Dubai for first timers.Rooms are terrible small standing room only.I wound'nt go back.

Dear Darren J,

Thank you for the comments made on Trip Advisor. It would be appreciated if you could forward me with further details related to the customer service which you have experienced. Can you please forward the details to my email address walter.knight@citymaxhotels.com as I would like to investigate this further.

It is our intention to provide customers with an experience of good service and a friendly environment which we try our utmost to do. Granted our product is not suitable for all customers as people have their own individual preferences when it comes to hotel accommodation and entertainment. Nonetheless thank you very much for your comments.

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Location - centrally in bur dubai which is a 20 min drive from the airport. Taxi drivers will quote 90dhirams (£15 approx) to take you from the airport to the hotel which after/during your holiday, you'll realise this should have been more like 30dhirams (£5 approx). Luckily for us, we realised this was ridiculous and didn't fall for the trap so got on the metro which opens at 5:30am and cost us 16dhirams (£3 approx) per person for a day ticket which is brilliant!!! The nearest stations are karama and fahidi, both being a 10-15mins walk away. A shame the hotel isn't closer to the metro as using that rather than taxis for general travelling around would've been a great way of not spending too much if you hate spending money on travelling rather than activities and food.

Our welcome - we had a warm welcome and were taken straight up to our room for an early check in which we had to pay half a day for but it was well worth it considering the long flight getting us there at 7am and check in not being until 2pm. A quick breakfast in the buffet restaurant which consisted of the usual toast, eggs, cereal, fruit, juice and hot drinks as well as Arabic bread and roast potato slices and a few other things like cheese. We didn't have our breakfast included in our package so it cost 42dhirams, about £7 which although it was an all you can eat buffet, we didn't think was worth that amount for the quality of food. Also burning myself on the toaster which apparently is a regular occurrence with guests and staff there wasn't exactly a pleasant experience. However, if you would prefer to eat at the hotel, the food is certainly not below average but no better than it either. Nearby you have the khaleed centre on mankhool road which closes in the early hours of the morning and has a paratha king which is quite a traditional Asian breakfast. Alternatively there is the bur juman centre also a 10min walk away which has a Starbucks and a cafe called Coffee bean and tea leaf where you can get better quality coffees and food.

The taxis parked outside the hotel which call themselves limousines but are actually just Lexus saloons and are only very slightly more comfortable than the official taxis if at all will charge 50% more than the officials. For short trips they have a minimum charge of 20dhirams whereas the officials have a minimum of 10dhirams. The different colour rooftops on officials are irrelevant really, they just indicate the 5 different companies, the pink roof is ladies only but depending on the driver she will let a guy in as long as he is with a woman and sits at the back.

We were placed in a room right by the lifts and within a couple of hours realised this just was not going to work for us as it was so noisy with the people using the lift. When I requested a change in room this was given immediately. As the hotel is on a main road, I would suggest requesting an inward facing room and make sure it is nowhere near the lifts. Although this means for a not so great view ie a view of wall and windows of other rooms...important to note the windows are tinted so don't worry people can't see straight in....there is plenty of time to look at fabulous views when you're out and about, when I'm in my hotel room, what I need is a good night sleep!

For approx 700 rooms, irons seem to be in low stock. I did receive an iron on request immediately when I asked the first time but then one day, it disappeared, obviously to give to another guest which is kind if understandable. It just so happened we needed the iron as we were leaving in an hour. After requesting 5 times and us being promised an imminent delivery each time, it finally turned up as we were leaving with slightly creased clothes....so beware of this.

The other annoying point was after agreeing a late checkout of 2pm, we had a note left on the door, a phone call and then a knock on the door to remind us of our checkout time being 12noon. I explained each time we had agreed 2pm but this didn't seem to get communicated so there were avoidable disturbances and an apology each time.

Overall, we would both definitely stay there again. The staff are very friendly, if you find one unhelpful just find another as 95% of them are helpful. The hotel was very clean and staff were certainly attentive, just not following through the one time with our iron request. The location was good but would have been even better if it was closer to a metro station.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Ams_b81
Dear Ams_b81,

Thank you very much for your positive comments on Trip Advisor in relation to our product, services and location.

Just to highlight a few of your comments which I would like to respond to.

First of all the transport services. Quite rightly there is a private taxi service available in our premises of which prices are advertised at our lobby, however guest do have a choice of the following:

1. RTA taxi services (the ones with the colored roofs)
2. RTA bus service which is located right outside the entrance of the hotel
3. Shuttle service which is provided on a complimentary basis and takes guests to Jumeirah Beach and Dubai Mall shopping center

Although we are walking distance to 2 metro stations as you quite rightly pointed out, it would have been convenient for us to have been located closer to the metro stations.

Thank you for your comment related to the iron / iron board. I will investigate this further and ensure that in future our staff reports on time to guest inquiry. I would like to mention that we have ample iron and iron boards in the building to accommodate guest requests.

Thank you once more for your honest feedback and we look forward to your return in the future.

Itala, Italy
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was in this hotel for some days last month and were it not that it was close to my work I would have gone 5 minutes after entering the room. The air conditioning did not work I called and after a half hour and got the technician, who has soiled all over the bathroom on again, I was too tired after a journey and a meeting that I did not want to call to clean up and have to wait . The next day when I came back the room was fairly clean the air conditioning did not work again in the same conditions and the bathroom dirty. I called to complain they came to clean and fix the air conditioning. third day same story the room was still not cleaned well. I complained again from then cleaning and was better but not excellent. I have never been contacted by any manager for an apology. The laundry service once a booked to return at nine o'clock in the morning at half past ten if I had not called yet nobody came. Operetor very rude. They have a great Asian restaurant a good bar and the breakfast buffet is not bad though being there for several days was a bit repetitive but very well presented. The waiters are all very kind and hospitable.

Room Tip: plans more high so that you do not hear the music from the bar until late at night
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear DericaKairy,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor and I would like to apologize most profusely for your experience at Citymax Bur Dubai. This is the first time we have received a negative comment regarding to the cleanliness of our rooms and therefore would like to investigate this further. It would be appreciated if you could forward me further details to my email address walter.knight@citymaxhotels.com related to this incident.

Citymax is well known for a clean and effective property and would like to offer you the opportunity to truly experience what we are about. Therefore please do let me know when you intend to visit Dubai again in the future and afford us the opportunity to offer you a true Citymax experience.

Mojacar, Spain
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Not too bad, but not so good either. Rooms are very small, but clean. The bathroom doors open in just such a way that one can't access the things one needs in a bathroom, like a towel, without ramming your back into the wall. There is only a small glass wall next to the shower. This is meant to keep the water in the shower where it belongs, but it isn't very effective. I can't understand why all of the shower rooms aren't refurbished. It's just an example of poor design. Anyway, I slipped and twisted my knee twice and put a nice hole in my lip when banging the edge of the glass thing. Internet is about the worst I have experienced. I had to pay as well. Doesn't make any sense why a business hotel would not offer free wi-fi with a decent connection. This is Dubai not Sudan. The manager did give me more credit, but that only lasted a few minutes. I couldn't find a remote for the TV and was never brought one despite a couple of requests. I experienced difficulty with the phones as well. The bar - it took almost 30 minutes to get a bowl of corn soup at 4:30 PM - not crowded and full staff. All in all - very amateur. If you can't afford to stay anywhere else - OK. But for a few more dollars one can go next door for a much better hotel.

Dear Juanita,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor and please accept my most sincere apologies for the experience you got at Citymax during your recent visit to Dubai.

Our bathrooms though small, are quite efficient. However I was shocked to read about the injuries you sustained when getting out of the shower. Due to this report, we are taking measures to ensure a safer environment for the future. I would also like to ask that in the future should an event of this nature occur please notify somebody in the hotel so we can take immediate action while you are still in the hotel.

Obviously from your report, you had an overall bad experience which I can assure you is never our intention. With this in mind I would be grateful if you could advise me when you would be returning to Dubai and afford us the opportunity to make this up to you.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sydney
Reviewed March 16, 2013

People like me choose hotels such as Citymax purely because they looks inviting on Expedia - Nice looking lobby, clean room, good rates compared to others, seems right on a map.

Well, like the advertised burger that looks so different on your plate, the compact lobby is chock full of dazed looking East Europeans, the basic rooms are small for 2 persons (OK for one), the bathrooms are dull, the fittings have reached their "use by" date and the view is very ordinary (or non existent) from 80 % of the rooms.

"The Huddle" Sports Bar in the Lobby is an unabashed pick up joint after dark, with scores of Filipino and East European working girls waiting forlornly for a customer, while a Live Band thumps out Dire Strait songs that resonate the lower levels.

Whats Good ? - The internet if free / The beds are comforable / The Gym is cool and up to date.
Whats Not? - The location is nowhere near any transport or shops, the room doors hold back no noise and you can hear the next room shower and flush.

Would I stay here again? - Not likely, unless......

Room Tip: Stay on Level 4/5/6/7 away from the Main road as the windows leak sound.
6 Thank env300
CitymaxBD, General Manager at Citymax Hotels Bur Dubai, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear env300

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

Yes you are quite right. We do have a number of Eastern European clientele in our hotel. However I totally disagree with your comment related to the Huddle Sports Bar and Grill being a pick up joint with scores of Filipinos and Eastern Europeans. The Huddle Sports Bar and Grill is well known as a clean outlet where sports lovers enjoy coming to view their favorite sport amongst the healthy and friendly environment.

Location wise, Citymax Bur Dubai is located in the heart of the city for 1. We have a bus stop right outside the front entrance of the hotel 2. We have a never ending flow of taxis stopping by the hotel every minute of the day as well as the fact that we have private taxi services located at the premises. We are a 5 minute walk away from Burjuman Shopping center, 10-15minutes walk from 2 metro stations (Karama and Al Fahidi) and besides from this we provide free shuttle service to and from Jumeirah Beach as well as Dubai Mall. To add to this, we are a 20minute walk away from the Dubai Creek and 10minutes walk to Bank Street. We are surrounded by other hotels that have pubs, night clubs plus restaurants. The hotel is also surrounded by dozens of restaurants and just a 5minute drive from Karama, one of Dubai’s most popular shopping destinations.

With the comments made, it is hard to believe that you ventured outside the hotel at all.