“Not as good as Citymax Al Barsha”

Citymax Hotels Bur Dubai
Ranked #174 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed 1 night B&B in Dec in a double room. Rooms are ensuite with tea/coffee making and a big TV. I arrived at 9am from an overnight flight hoping to check in but they made me wait until 12 or pay a half day fee (approx £28). I've stayed in cheaper Dubai hotels which allow this for free! There is a roof-top pool with sun beds and free towels and a bar. They provide a free frequent shuttle service to the beach and Dubai Mall once at 4pm. This hotel is 15 mins walk to Al Karama metro station. There is also a very lively bar with live entertainment at night. The breakfast buffet was good but the hotel was full so breakfast was very busy. It was OK but I've been spoiled by the much better Citymax Al Barsha.

Room Tip: Inside and rear facing rooms are quiet, front and side rooms have road noise but front room have a g...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Robjp099
CitymaxBD, General Manager at Citymax Hotels Bur Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear Robjp099,

Thank you very much for your positive comments on Trip Advisor.

Just to clarify your arrival at 9am. I would like to inform you that generally the hotel does take guests on an early arrival basis by the time specified ie 9am without any charges. However like most hotels around the world when we are running at 90% occupancy there is a limit on rooms available in the early hours of the morning, hence a charge is often an acceptable practice. In most cases where I travel to the UK and have arrived prior to 12nn I have always been charged an additional amount or made to wait until 14h00 when the official check in time starts.

Should you plan to come back to Dubai in the near future please inform me in advance and I will arrange for an early arrival without charges. You may contact me at walter.knight@citymaxhotels.com

Thank you once more for your positive comments and hope to see you in the near future on your next visit to Dubai.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Excellent place to stay, very approachable from the airport. Both the resturants sizzing wok and claypot offer excellent choice of menu.

The hotel is quite popular with visitors from Russia so along you do not mind them you are fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the main road, the night view of dubai skyline is impressive
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nnj13
CitymaxBD, General Manager at Citymax Hotels Bur Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear nnj13,

Thank you for your very positive comment on Trip Advisor. It is always a pleasure to hear from our customers of the good experience that they have had at CMBD as it is our objective to over deliver.

Next time that you are in Dubai, please do let me know.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

The only good thing I have to say about this hotel is that the rooms were clean and the wired internet worked. Other than that, this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in Dubai. Beware of the reviews because several of the positive reviews reference the Citymax Al Barsha, located near the Mall of Emirates, not this location.

Here are a few examples: Laundry was delivered 13 hours late (I called many times to get it during the day); Desk staff was surly; Staff bothered me for hours to leave, saying my reservation had expired even though I had prepaid for 2 extra nights the prior day. It took 4 phone calls, six hours and two trips to the front desk to get my payments acknowledged. It took over an hours to get a bellman to get the luggage from my room upon checkout; Doorman refused to flag a cab, instead insisted I take their premium priced car service, which I refused; Linens were threadbare; Faucet in bathroom had no aerator and sprayed water all over the room;

At 3 AM the first morning of my stay the hotel staff was unloading a truck right below my window. The staff was so loud, yelling and laughing, banging equipment around, waking me up and making a return to sleep impossible. I notified the front desk. 30 minutes later, the disturbance was still going on, so I called the Shift Manager, with no results. This disruption continued until after 5 AM.

Forget about enjoying their "Sports Bar". Both the food and the service was deplorable. At 6 PM when they opened, the music was blasting so loud you could not think. It took 20 minutes to get a beer, even though they had 9 staff and only 6 patrons. The breading on their "Fish and Chips" was so tough and rubbery, it took a steak knife to cut through it. Tasteless Nachos with unidentifiable toppings were served with watery cheese old salsa on the side. Pizza was like cardboard. None of the other items I tried were any better. Service was incredibly slow even though there was plenty of staff. I did not try the Chinese or the Indian restaurant.

As an aside, there are no little restaurants around to easily walk to, besides in other hotels. However there was a market on the block to get supplies.

I would pass on staying at this Citymax if I were you!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Addicted2Asia

Dear Addicted2Asia,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. However, I have had time to investigate your comments which I found rather surprising.

To start with we have no collection of your reservation which tells your additional room nights as you have mentioned on your note.
Secondly, I have no idea why it would take 13 hours for you to receive your laundry beyond the stipulated time of 24-hour period. The reason this is quite odd is the fact that a person pays his laundry either prior to delivery or upon delivery and therefore the laundry process is usually very good. I have only received a complaint about the delayed laundry delivery which was a delay of one hour and that was roughly six months ago.

In terms of bellman service, I would like to apologize most profusely as this is a service that has been recently introduced (from 1st of October 2012). As a mid market concept hotel, this service is not generally provided. However, it is an additional service which we have decided to introduce to our customers. At present we only have 4 bellman and 691 rooms which runs at 93% occupancy most days therefore I can understand there might have been a delay.

You mentioned that you have woken at 3am by staff unloading a truck. We have no construction on the go and therefore have had no delivery of construction items to the hotel. The only thing I could only think of is the Municipal Garbage collection truck which generally passes by at 5 in the morning. Again I have never received complaint of this nature in the past and will follow up.

Your comment related to our sports bar which mentions that at 6PM the music was blasting so loud you could not think. Just to inform you that our bar (The Huddle Sports Bar and Grill)has a live band which starts at 9:30 in the evening and therefore I cannot understand your comment. Furthermore you mentioned that we have 9 staff members on duty. Once more at 6pm we have a maximum of 6 staff on duty (2 barman and 4 waitresses).

Your comment related to the fish and chips and the nachos, I will certainly look into this and thank you for bringing this to my attention. Once more this is not a common complaint related to the food. In fact, we generally get good comments about the food in the bar. You also mentioned a pizza that tasted like cardboard?? Just to bring to your notice that we do not serve pizza in our bar.

I have read your comments with great interest however I would like to know if you stayed at Citymax Bur Dubai or have confused another product with ours. The reason for this question is that most of what you have mentioned is not relevant to our product.

I certainly hope that when you return to Dubai in the future, please do make contact with me as I would like to discuss these issues personally.

Regards,

Reviewed November 17, 2012

my experience with city max was excellent.The location is very convenient and in the heart of dubai.
The stay in the hotel was totally a good experience. The facilities as per a budget hotel is fantastic.The chinese restaurant was also good.The manager leading the restaurant behaved well and i couldnot recollect his name.The sports bar was having a lot music. The gym i used well and the swimming pool was quiet small but clean.The staff was also behaving well.
The room was quiet small but clean and well maintained.The cleaning and the services were good.where ever I went in the hotel I saw one person commonly I noticed his name as Jithu.and he was so helpful to me during my stay.On the day of my check out I got a lot from him especially regarding my laundry.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Dear jegan n,

Thank you so much for your positive comment on Trip Advisor.

It is great to hear that you had a good experience at the hotel and that our staff provided you an excellent service.

We have extended your praise to the team especially to Jithu for his job well done!

We certainly look forward to see you on your next trip to Dubai.

Regards,

Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is the perfect base for staying in Dubai.

When we arrived we were greeted warmly and this really set the tone for the rest of the stay. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

The room was good and very clean.

We spent quite a lot of time in the hotel bar which is great. The staff are excellent and very friendly. They do a great Tiger beer in there. There was lots of friendly people at the bar and had some great conversations...

Great place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
CitymaxBD, General Manager at Citymax Hotels Bur Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Dear LONDONGENT87,

Thank you for your recent and most positive comment on Trip Advisor.

It is always good to read positive comments from customers such as yourself and I am happy to see that you enjoyed yourself at The Huddle Sports Bar and Grill.

Should you be travelling to Dubai in the near future, we would be glad to receive you and have an opportunity to personally meet you.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

The reason of my choose was cheap price! but when I checked hotel in, I saw a good quality hotel with good equipments. Hotel has good breakfast and large bathroom and toilet space. also the beds are comfortable and really clean. totally I think this is a very good place for low price accommodation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Erfanian,

Thank you very much for your positive comments and true reflection of Citymax Bur Dubai.

Next time you travel to Dubai I certainly hope to see you at Citymax Bur Dubai and please let me know in advance as I personally would like to meet you.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Only one advantage of this hotel is the price. Rooms are very smal, but clean. Everyday they gave the same food at the breakfast, which is not tasty... To get to the beach you should take hotel bus, whis is very crowded all the time. So we prefered taking taxi. The view from the rooms is awful...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends