“I'll call you back,,, Yeah Right???”

Ranked #181 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
Arizona City, Arizona
“I'll call you back,,, Yeah Right???”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I checked into the Holiday inn Bur Dubai because I had to take my girlfriend to the airport at 2am so she could catch her flight at 4. The Hotel Lobby was looking a bit worn but I wanted to give the Hotel a chance. And I must say the room was ok except for the shower handle coming off in my hand when I turned on the water. But thats not really my beef with this hotel. I am a priority one member with the hotel chain and am entitled to free Internet when I check in. I tried to get online and couldn't. Kept asking me to log in and choose a payment option. I called the front desk and asked what was up and why I couldn't log in. They said they would call me back. 2 hours later not a word. Tried to log in, even clicked on the pay button and no dice, I called and repeated what I asked the first time. Again I was told they would call me back. In the meantime there was a constant beep coming from the room next door and we were trying to get a little rest before she had to leave. I called again and asked about the beep and what about the internet? AGAIN "We'll call you back"?? we finally fell asleep despite the beep. I got her to the airport and came back with the hope the beep was gone and I could fall asleep. This is now 4am I called one last time about the Internet and when she told me she would call me back I laughed and said Yeah, Right. So at approx. 8:30am I wake to the sound of scraping and hammering and clamoring either in the room next door or in the hallway. By then I was FURIOUS I called and Complained and was told they would look into it. Well, 2 hours later I thew in the towel got dressed stormed down to the lobby and checked out. The manager showed up to hear my complaints to the reception desk. The man had to go to the hotel engineer and ask if there was construction going on next door. He was told MAYBE? What kind of Management doesn't KNOW whats happening in their own Hotel? And the Internet? He had NO Answer. Didn't offer a free breakfast, Nor a discount on the room NOTHING Except "we're sorry" I will NEVER Stay at this lousy Hotel again. NEVER!!!! And I would advise anyone else to STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Just avoid the Hotel altogether
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bur Dubai - Embassy District, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear livin4luvinlife,

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was the first time I had used this hotel, which is handily close to the Burjuman Metro station, especially as taxis are often hard to find.
I was put on to the third floor, the executive floor, because I am a Platinum Priority Club member, so my view may not be wholly appropriate for anyone not as blessed. I noted that my wifi was free, but there were options for payment which suggest to me that if I had not been on the Executive Floor I would be charged. No hotel anywhere in this more enlightened age should charge for wifi. It is now totally taboo for business travellers who are rightly incensed when they have to pay for something which costs the hotel nothing.....
The room was very good, large and comfortable, so absolutely no complaints and the staff were very good.
The restaurant offered the expected, but irritating 'beef bacon', while other hotels in Dubai do have a very separated 'pork station' which includes proper bacon. Given that 90% of the guests appeared to be non-Arab, then it is annoying that bacon isn't available at breakfast. But you might argue that it's their country so we have to adapt....fair point.
For dinner, however the same restaurant - there's only one - offers another buffet, although it does have an a la carte menu too. Limited menu on the buffet, but the wine list was awful and the first two choices were 'unavailable'. That is unacceptable and unprofessional. If it's on the menu, whether food or drink, then it should be available.
I found my way to the swimming pool where there was a small bar. Again, the wine on the list wasn't available - twice! - but food was available, although limited in choices. It seemed crazy that such a pleasant area in the evening, when it's cool and balmy, should not be utilized properly. Why not run a barbecue up there occasionally? I didn't even know about the food availability on the roof next to the pool without actually asking: Is there anywhere else to eat?
A little better marketing, brushing up on the wine list and more info in the rooms might do wonders for the hotel's income!

Room Tip: Get yourself on to the third floor if you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bur Dubai - Embassy District, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Snookoafc1,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the service you received from the restaurant staff. We were disappointed to read that when you visited the restaurant you did not find it to your tastes, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Ferdinand G
Agra, India
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I decided to book the Hotel for its location - close to the creek, metro, Dubai Museum, Burjuman mall and Bur Dubai market. So without having to travel much, I could see a lot when not meeting people!

The Hotel is VERY BUSY and when I arrived there were quite some people waiting to check-in (9:00 AM). Its understandable that the staff was facing a tough time as overnight guests had not checked out and the new guests had already started arriving. The girl at the reception (Francis) checked me in 15 minutes, which was amazing. The staff at the hotel was helpful and courteous.

The breakfast spread at the Hotel is good with lavish spread of Vegetarian as well as Non-Vegetarian dishes. (Being a Vegetarian, I like hotels who give some attention to the us grass eaters! :D)

The Hotel has a small pool on the terrace and while the view is not the best one can get in Dubai, the location is certainly a + point. I could see the construction activities going-on but no or very little sound was audible.

For the price I paid per night, the hotel would be termed as as slightly expensive but I enjoyed my stay here. It does offer clean rooms, good bathrooms and yes Chinese toiletries!

Overall a good hotel for a short stay!

Room Tip: Try getting a 3rd floor room and facing the main road.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Shabd
Mark A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bur Dubai - Embassy District, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us to let us know about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Bur Dubai-Embassy District, nothing pleases more than to have such a loyal guest like you.

Your feedback is very important to us, and it will be shared with the entire staff so we can keep focusing what's matter to us which is delivering great service and product.

We look forward to welcoming you back at your second home the Holiday Inn Bur Dubai-Embassy District in the near future.

New Jersey
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I with two other couples stayed here for 5 nights as part of a Gate1 Travel tour of Dubai. We have been in Dubai before and stayed on Sheikh Zayed Rd, but this hotel is in Bur Dubai. Since we had a busy itinerary, we only had buffet breakfasts and one Gate1 rooftop buffet dinner, and found plenty to eat of fairly good quality.
At breakfast there are hot Arabic, International and Indian dishes, plus an omelet station for eggs cooked to your order, plus fruit, pastries, breads and cheese, cereals, juices, coffee and a selection of teas.
The rooftop buffet dinner was served on Valentine's Day and the chef prepared many attractive dishes, plus chocolate covered strawberries, um ali (an Arab style bread pudding) and a huge heart shaped cheesecake among the desserts.
Regarding the room, ours was fairly quiet, had two full beds, phones, alarm clock, reading lamps, carpeting, good air conditioning, mini bar, flat screen TV with BBC, Sky News and channels in several languages including Arabic,bathrobes and slippers, bathtub with overhead shower, toilet, sink and bidet. A local English language newspaper was left at our door each day.
We requested very quiet rooms and could not hear the construction going on across the street, but on the weekend, we did hear some vibration from the two discos on the ground floor late at night.
The chief virtue of our stay at the HIBD was the two block proximity to both red and green branches of the very rapid Dubai metro system and the Burjuman Mall for money changing, Starbucks, a good Lebanese restaurant and generally high end stores open until 10pm.
We did not use the rooftop swimming pool or go to any of the discos on the ground floor, one seemed to be for single Indian men watching a couple of belly dancers.
Check in and check out was quick and efficient.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank maerose

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Although its an IHG property but it offers third grade unbranded toiletries from China to its guests , soap is detergent quality , shampoos are horrible , my hair dye got faded and I had to get my hair redone . I complained to the local management ,they had no solution . When I wrote to Customer care my complain was taken very lightly . I am a priority club (gold) member and have stayed at holiday Inn hotels all over, this was my worst stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank paulcj
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bur Dubai - Embassy District, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear paulcj,

We appreciate you sharing your experience regarding your stay with us. It is regrettable you did not enjoy your stay at our property and we apologize our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will address these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Joel B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This time i decided to get an executive room to enjoy the suite , however , on two consecutive nights 23rd and tonight 24th calls to room maintenance to get the automatic water tap and sauna working were promised but to one turned up. I even left the door open in case someone came and we couldnt hear him at the door . I have a good executive room which i had to pay for as my request for an upgrade to an executove rpom via email were not replied i have been a Gold member since last 8 years wondering if i should continue staying at holiday inn or move to another loyalty program . I will now get a standard reply , aplogizing blah blah .....

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank AGM-MARTZ

Ithaca, New York
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The good: Very nice spacious room, even the standard room I spent the 5 nights of my tour with Gate1. I came a day early and was upgraded to an executive room for that night as I was a priority club member. I actually preferred the standard room.
I had requested a quiet room and my room was very quiet.
The staff was very pleasant, the location quite near the metro and a major mall, and the elevators were fast and efficient.

The not so good: Taking a shower was always an adventure as the water temperature kept going from warm to cold and back again. If one tried to adjust it, one encountered really hot water. Breakfast was not particularly good, and the coffee was tepid. There was insufficient staff to keep up with clearing and setting tables. Tourism help by the staff was willing but lacking in much knowledge. Wifi was 20AED (about $6) an hour in standard rooms.

The Warning: When I checked in, I was told a hold was placed on my credit card for an amount greater than the room cost to pay for incidentals. This would have been okay, but this is the amount that they put through and charged me. There is no foreign currency conversion fee on my card, and while I should have been charged $212.04, they charged me $220.95. Not a big deal, but you may want to be careful when paying and fully understand what they are charging.

Would I stay again at this hotel? Definitely yes.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room.
Stayed February 2013, traveled solo