“Very good for the price, good location; no issues.”

Holiday Inn Bur Dubai - Embassy District
Ranked #184 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Wow, finally I can give a hotel a good review! I was on the third floor in a large room, executive suite or something. I am not giving 5-stars, however, for the following reasons:

Cons:

I am in Dubai, it is very hot out, and the only thing on the bed is a thick, heavy comforter; no sheets. Despite having the air-conditioner up high, I was rather warm all night, even sweating. I suspect their electricity bills would be lower if they had actual thin sheets on the bed. The bed was very large and comfortable, nice pillows, too.

When I saw the room had a large bathtub, I was pleased, as I looked forward to taking a long, hot bath. Once I got in, however, I noticed there is NO water faucet; just the shower head! The bathub is only to take a shower in, not a bath! Only in Dubai. So, I didn't get to take my bath.

There were some very shoddy construction issues in the bathroom that could have easily been fixed. The soap holder in the shower was so loose and unstable, I coudn't put anything on it. There were some holes in the granite wall where some idiot drilled in the wrong place and tried to hide it with silicon sealant or something, making it worse. There was another metal holder ny the light switch that was also hanging by a thread, very substandard construction.

Something was wrong with the reception of the TV. One channel would be great, the next would have no volume! I would have to put the volume to 100%, but could barely hear it. Then, I would change the channel and it would be ear-shattering! So that was interesting.

Finally, I always give negative points for charging ridiculous prices for internet service. In this day and age, at the rates we pay for hotel rooms, they really should allow guests to at least connect in the lobby for free, just to check email, etc. Then, offer a paid service for in-room or high-speed internet. But really, $20 an hour to check email? That's insane. I oculd stay at a cheap youth hostel in Cambodia for $5 a night and get free internet service, so yes, when I pay $130 a night, I would expect to be able to check my email for free.

Pros:

Lots of electric outlets in the room, nice fridge. AC worked great. Nice pool on the roof, small, but deep. Lots of closet space, drawers and space to move around in. Elevator was fast, staff was friendly. (One issue I was a little mad about, I had a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and was getting ready to take a shower, when someone knocks on the door. I put my clothes back on and open the door, and the cleaning guy is there, asking if he can clean the room! I was like "Dude, can you see this sign?")

Friendly staff; fast and efficient. Very clean place, no hookers hanging around like in other hotels. Metro station right outside the front door, lots of businesses around for food or coffee. I would totally stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dharma_Punk
HolidayInn_burdubai, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bur Dubai - Embassy District, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

Dear Mr. Dharma,

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and thank you very much for your time in writing the review.
Your feedback is very valuable for us and we took it into consideration meanwhile we would be looking forward to welcoming you again at the Holiday Inn Bur Dubai – Embassy District

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Was a nice stay and relaxed ..classy furniture and comfy bed for good sleep!!!! good for both business and pleasure trip :)

Room Tip: rood view rooms are good...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rajveer2005

Dear Mr. Raj,

We are looking forward to welcoming you again and to offer you the best of our products and services.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights with my family. The hotel is 20 mins from the airport, close to gold souk and deira city centre. It is also convenient for visiting all the major tourist spots like dubai mall, deira city centre mall, burj khalifa, mall of emirates etc. That is because the khalid bin al waleed station is a minutes walk from the hotel. That makes it a very good location, and am surprised at some other reviews that say the location is poor. We were given an upgrate to a suite when we checked in, which meant free wi fi and free breakfast. The service was very good as well. The breakfast however is not good, and if you have to pay for it, at 75 aed, is a rip off. I would give the hotel a 5 rating if the breakfast was better. All in all, a great hotel for the price.

Room Tip: Dont take the breakfast or food package. Lots of good restaurants just across the metro station for...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Vivek K

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback and we are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us & that you have experience the luxury of our one bedroom suite of 65 sqm equipped with a Jacuzzi & two large flat TV

At Holiday Inn we offer an internationally renewed buffet breakfast with a large verity of hot & cold dishes including live cooking stations , freshly baked assorted croissant & Danish pastries, fresh dairy products, fruits of the day in addition to the traditional Arabic breakfast and we have implemented recently a special Indian corner.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Excellent hotel situated near embassy area of Dubai.

The rooms are very good. The service is exemplary. The breakfast buffet is sumptuous. The Indian restaurant is good. Being near to Metro station, al Karama etc., the Hotel provides very good connectivity. Most of the package tour events start and terminate here.

The swimming pool (roof top) is a bonus.

If there is a short coming, it is only with regard to cable TV where the choice of channels is very limited.

Room Tip: Stay on 3rd Floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback and we are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We have taken your input regarding the TV channel into consideration, we are currently offering 33 international channels and we are in process of upgrading the system to host up to 40 channels by October 2012.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Stayed at Holiday inn Burdubai in April'12 for 4 nights. It's a nice property with good location. The metro station is just 2 min. walk from hotel. We stayed in the executive room which has free wifi. The room was spacious and clean.
We had requested for an early check in and were alloted the rooms in a jiffy.Breakfast at the Anwar restaurant was excellent.They offered wide variety with some indian dishes as well.
Had a very comfartable stay at the hotel and would surely comeback.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jitesh21

Dear Mr. Jitesh,

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Am writing this review in the hotel.

Room size a wee bit small, but the toilet size is generous. Decor in the room is decent. Air conditioning is powerful enough to make sure you are cool in the sweltering heat.

Coffee & tea making facility is available, with complimentary 2 bottles of water everyday.

Bed is as usual good..quality of sleep is good. Lots of power points in the room which is important when you have 2 guys each with a laptop and 2 phones to charge up.

Internet again, is expensive (80AED per day).

Not sure whether all the holiday inn hotels in the world serves the same breakfast but i remember the breakfast is very similar to another holiday inn which i stayed in recently.

buffet dinner (90AED) was a bit of a let down.choice of food was poor and very limited.
given the price of the ala-carte dinner menu, having the buffet was a more logical choice because a main course from the ala-carte was about 60-90AED before taxes. the buffet was a flat 90AED.

as mentioned by some one earlier, there is some construction going on in front of the hotel, and to get to the metro & burjuman mall, you got to cut through this patch of sand. small supermarket not far away which is good.

flag down taxis not readily available but they do have private taxis (Lexus and Toyota Previas no less) with reasonable rates available 24hrs a day just in front of the lobby.

1 thing i was unhappy about is the rate of the hotel for a return stay which i enquired from the front desk. I have to fly out to another country for 2 days & return to Dubai for another 2 nights. When i approached the front desk to ask them for the rates, it is 15% higher than what i paid when i booked online.

I know this is usually the case if you simply walk in & ask for the price but I am a guest who is still staying here & has booked a total of 12 room nights here and you are telling me that i have to get onto the internet to book it online to get a reasonable price? thats ridiculous to me.

but in short, it is still a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your valuable feedback

Kindly be informed that the smallest standard room is 35 sqm (698 sqft) which is considerably large for a hotel room with a seating area in addition to the king size bed and the working desk.

The metro station can be reached easily from two different ways away from any sandy plots
We offer a high speed WIFI connection chargeable as the same level of the market rates. In addition you can enjoy one hour free connection when having a hot or cold beverage at our lobby café or a complimentary connection during your entire stay when upgrading to executive room or suite

Our hotel maintain a dynamic pricing strategy and if you are planning to book online or directly through our front desk team the “best price guarantee policy” is applicable all the time.

Best regards

The management

Reviewed May 14, 2012

The location must be on the worst side, or the unfinished side, of the Embassy District, but I had no choice as this was a trade association meeting venue, and the rate was discounted accordingly. However, the welcome was superb and the comfort in the usual great Holiday Inn style; soft bed linen on big beds, fluffy towels, choices of pillows.

Having no evening plans I went looking for a source of Vodkatinis, but didn't need to go far since the barman at the hotel "Two Guineas Pub" could make them perfectly. To go with that I ordered up some delicious local vegetable pastries (Sambousas) and a very colourful blue cheese salad from the H. I. kitchen. On the minus side, the acoustics were not good, so every conversation reverberated throughout. In particular, a very boisterous group of Indian expats was the only thing one could hear......

The next morning I had a fantastic wake-up swim, 500 meters, on the ROOFTOP! Who would have thought one could fit a 20 meter long double-kidney shaped swimming pool up there?

I would not choose that hotel location in Dubai for a personal trip, but it was a good 24 hour stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Stanley Angus M

Dear valued guest,

Kindly be informed that the hotel is located in the heart of the diplomatic district of Dubai, at a very short walking distance from the main metro station “Khalid bin Waleed” and the fashionable shopping center “Burjuman Mall” while Dubai International airport is at only 15 minutes drive

Best regards