“A good base hotel to stay at.”
Review of Avenue Hotel

Avenue Hotel
Ranked #261 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“A good base hotel to stay at.”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My friend and myself stayed here during the Dubai Rugby 7s Tournament and it was a good place to base ourselves from. The Check-in was fine although I had to re-emphasise that I wanted a non-smoking room. Plus they took our passports for an hour although because we were doing some sightseeing in the afternoon the reception had them for a lot longer. This was no problem though and they were given to us as soon as we returned.

Staff were very friendly as soon as we checked in and our bags were taken to our respective rooms. My room was ok and it had everything I needed for the weekend. The door was hanging off the cupboard that the fridge was in and I reported it straight away. Plus there was a tie-wrap on the fridge door that I accidently broke off when opening the fridge. Again this was resealed. The air-conditioning was fine and I was able to adjust it with no problems. Bear in mind though that the temperature was 27 in the day and about 19 in the evening so not oppressive at all. Apart from the Friday night when I think it must have been the wettest evening on record, especially if you were outdoors with 50,000 others. Funny all the same!!

The bathroom was fine although the pressure of the shower was something to be desired. Not really that good.

What I didnt like was the fact that my room wasnt cleaned in the 3 nights that I was there and this is indeed unacceptable (Room 702). My friend got woken up on the first night and had to move rooms because of the noise and someone entering his room. Plus he put a do not disturb sign on the door on the last night and was disturbed by cleaners at 7am. Maybe something in between cleaning the rooms and not entering when the DND sign is outside would be beneficial.

We went to one of the bars on the first floor and it is a bit of an experience but it was ok listening to the music and having a few drinks. We got ushered to the bar on the left on the Mezzanine floor and when we went to the bar on the right to have a look we saw why!!! Not the best for Westerners like ourselves.

The room service was fine and I did order food on the Friday night. It arrived quickly and was ok with no problems.

Check-out was fine although we had to wait while staff checked the fridge with the seal on it.

Overall it was a nice stay, staff were friendly, although there are a few procedures that need to be addressed.

Room Tip: Non-smoking rooms on the 7th floor are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AJamesH66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
USA
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I've stayed in Dubai many times and in many hotels. I discovered this one by accident about a year ago and will stay in no other hotel. Yes, there are ladies of the evening outside and in the clubs on the second floor. Oh well, if you don't want to be a part of that do as Nancy Reagan recommended, just say "no". It is not that difficult. The food is good. Room service is 24 hours. The staff is very accommodating. They easily allow late checkouts if you need one. The pool is OK (not great). There is no sauna. That is a downside for me but one I can get over. The internet is good and fast. It is also near outside food sources. It is walking distance to City Center Mall and a very short cab ride to Emirates Mall.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TheThaiTraveler
Shiraz, Iran
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I visited Dubai many times. Manhattan avenue hotel is one of the best. the staff was really friendly. it has a very unique bar. the rooms were clean but the things that kill me was the breakfast and the noise of repair the hotel.
i will choose it again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Yerevan, Armenia
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Everything was great, value of money, good location, friendly and helpful staff as always. Service was perfect and enjoyed my stay. Will visit again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Satenik G
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My travel partner had booked this hotel and neither of us had had a chance to look at reviews before we stayed here. I cannot believe that there are any genuine 'excellent' or 'very good' reviews of this hotel. We (2 females) did not feel comfortable here, and spent as little time as possible in the hotel. I definitely agree with the comments about it being a barely concealed area for prostitutes, and the whole vibe in the hotel felt very seedy.
The room was dirty, bathroom old and unappealing, plastic bath, rubbish shower and very cheaply decorated. The towels were greying, threadbare and smelt as if they hadn't been washed. We popped up to check out the pool area and it was awful, we decided to pay to use one in another hotel instead. We didn't eat/drink at the hotel as didn't want to spend anymore time than necessary here, if it had been a longer stay I definitely would have checked out and moved, the beds were awful and it was extremely noisy both inside and outside the hotel all night. Yes this hotel is cheap but I would never recommend anyone stay here, and on my last night in Dubai I was staying alone so moved elsewhere, I definitely would not have felt comfortable here alone. I have stayed in this area before with my family at the Taj Palace, it's a great hotel and I like the area, but would never ever even consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank ElmoNYC
, General Manager at Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Avenue Hotel is an approved 4 star deluxe hotel, very popular with international buisness and leisure travellers. Everyday up to 300 guests are inhouse enjoying rooms , retauranst and bars,really happy with the services and hotel facilities .We can provide you witha set of our guests who can give their genuine excellent and good feedback. Please let us know your name and address. Our rooms are newly refurbished. spacious, with fresh carets, linen, soft towels,airconditioning,50 channels LCD tvs,Safety box, minibars, tea cofee makers, , all in compliance of 4 star deluxe hotel standards. The Steakhouse, and 2 clubs - Manila 21 and 49er with live band and bars are most popular. We are one of the most successful hotels in Deira posting almost 100% occupancy everyday, which may be a cause of concern to the competition.
More than 300 satisfied guests evryday from Europe, America, and Gulf is a testimony of the satisfaction we give to those who stay with us , exceeding their expectations at all times.
We invite you to our hotel to stay with us in your future visit.I look forward to welcoming you personally and to meet you.

Travelers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Manhattan Restaurant is just in the lobby of the hotel accessible for functions like parties and special private occasions. It can accommodate in my estimate to the maximum of 5o guest. Though it is not an ideal sound-dancing and lights on party knowing it is just locate along the main walk-by of the busy street of Al Rigga.

The hotel's lobby is very well organized and tidy. Attendants were very polite.

We had a birthday party and engagement celebrations of my best friend. They have arranged the venue together with buffet for dinner of 50 attendees.
The food tasted well and the chef had just boom! us with all their delicacy provided.

What is lovely in this place is they allow event-guest to be given priority parking apart from having those guest from the hotel alone. The interior is well balance with colour and you cannot feet that the location of the hotel is just across the main busy street of the down-town.

Very accessible by any mode of transportation. The metro is just a minute away from approximately 10minutes from the airport. It has a lot of activities tourist may find interesting along the street where food chains and restaurants are very optional.

Most importantly, there are bars and lounges available in the hotel itself should it be necessary to last the party differently.

Room Tip: Make sure to know which side of the road your transportation is coming in to refrain from having tro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank OnlyChatru
Vienna
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed here one night with my wife and our baby child. Other hotels were full, so we had no choice. Baby cot was available, but we were put in a smoking room on a smoking floor; the smell was terrible. The room was facing rigga street and the noise in the night was unbearable - as if the window was open. Without earplugs, sleep would have been impossible.
Many prostitutes are "working" just in front of the hotel. The two nightclubs in the first floor of the hotel seem to be inofficial brothels.
The rate was 600,- Dirhams without breakfast, way too expensive for what it is. Internet is an additional 50 Dirhams for 24 hours. Internet in the lobby is also available, but costs 80 Dirhams for 24 hours.
The Hotel is well situated near restaurants and shops.
The staff are really nice though. All in all, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family