“Clean and Affordable in Dubai” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Gold Hotel

Mercure Gold Hotel
Ranked #195 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
Perth, Australia
“Clean and Affordable in Dubai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

The rooms are superb and large for its star rating, location is ok if you need to be near Jumeira (on a budget), Dubai Mall (Burj Khalifa) and World Trade Centre (Exhibitions). Breakfast was good, no complaints here, lots of choice. Bar is typical of all Bars - will try and extract extra drinks from you on the bill after you are reasonably plastered, sure there was an extra 6 drinks added that were'nt consumed. Breakfast staff need to improve their hearing, and service is kind of slow. But once again, for the value for money, it was ok. Would come back again if i needed to be close to above locations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mercure G, Duty Manager at Mercure Gold Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Greetings From Mercure Gold Dubai

We are thankful to you for choosing our hotel to stay while your visit in Dubai and for having taken time out to post your review,

we are certainly happy that you enjoyed the breakfast and variety of food choices in our restaurant. We take pride in the excellence and consistency of our food & beverage that we offer to our guests and yes, our rooms are quite spacious and we are happy that you liked them.

However, I have gone through your comments and am extremely concerned about your other experience. We have taken note of your dissatisfaction over certain factors and this is not at all reflective of the usual standards of service at the hotel at any time.

Please be assured that we have taken this matter extremely seriously and I would greatly appreciate if you could contact us on H8500-AM@accor.com giving us the opportunity to speak to you directly.

We look forward to your future visit and assure you of best of our services at all given times.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Taipei
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

The friendly staff as you arrive is just a sign of things to come. They are all extremely helpful and welcoming. The reservation was in their system, I got processed immediately. All was fine.

The room is spacious, but the window of my room overlooked a tiny little courtyard which had very little sunlight, and a fine view of - errrr - another hotel room, just a few metres away.

It was not in the most central of locations, but I was being picked up by clients anyway so that was no big deal for me.

The nagging issues I had: there were bugs in the room, little flying insects. I splatted a lot of them, but they seemed to regroup and attack once more. The toilet did not flush properly, so getting rid of the nasty stuff was a little difficult. I am sure i left a couple of floaters for the cleaning staff. I hope they didn't take it personally.

The internet connection was almost $30 per day from inside the room. I can think of many things I would rather do with $30. The connection in the lobby is free though, if you can find a place to sit there.

The breakfast is fine - I got it included in my rate. The selection of food is not bad - plenty of meaty stuff and veggie stuff as well, so something for everyone. But they have a do-it-yourself coffee machine for lattes and capuccinos, so I went to the machine and wanted to press the latte button, only to find out that these are charged. Seriously? And the standard coffee - well it's just nasty.

The bed though was most comfortable - can't fault that.

However, try the air con. Set it to automatic, and it will stop completely. Set it to low fan, and it will not work at all. Only works on high, and then your room freezes over like the Antarctic, or if you set the heat too high, and it is a sensitive little thing, then you're out in the middle of the desert.

Room Tip: if the small things make the hotel, then this one is yet to be made
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mercure G, Duty Manager at Mercure Gold Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Greetings from Mercure Gold Dubai !!

We are pleased to know that you had a good experience with our Front Desk Services and yes, our rooms are quite spacious and we are happy that you liked the bed too. The same has also been shared with my Front Desk associates and they join me in thanking you.

However, I have gone through your comments and am extremely concerned about your other experience. Please be assured that I have taken this up with my team and each of your comments has been discussed in detail.

We are certainly happy that you enjoyed the variety of food choices in our restaurant. We take pride in the excellence and consistency of our food & beverage that we offer to our guests. Also we have made a note about the chargeable coffee. We value our guest feedback and that helps us in improving on the missing components.

Could I request you to email me your stay details at H8500-AM@accor.com,so that we can make a note of your preference which in return will help us to serve you better?

My team joins me in sending you our sincere apology for inconvenience caused and assure you of best of our services at all given times.

Look forward to your visit again.

Tehran
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

First this is an Old Hotel,
The location is bad enough you have to wait more than 20 min for a taxi
Breakfast is very simple but unfair price = 25$
My room was dirty , lots of stains on bed, ground and desks
Unfair room rates
The good point is to spending some time at spa, pool, liquid bar
To sum up, this is an old hotel with new lable (mercure GOLD) for misdirecting people

• Stayed February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Mercure G, Duty Manager at Mercure Gold Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Mercure Gold, Dubai - ! !

It is on the basis of your valuable feedback that we can focus on areas that need our immediate attention and endeavor towards fulfilling guest expectations.
Indeed, during the last week of February because of gulf food exhibition, most of the taxis were busy in the city and most of the hotels of the city had similar experiences with traffic throughout the city.
However, we are extremely concerned that you were not happy with the Room Cleaning. I have personally looked into this and spoken to my team and can assure you that my team will leave no stone unturned to ensure that this doesn't happen in future
We are certainly happy to know your insight that you had a good experience with our spa, pool, and liquid bar services.
We strive very hard to ensure that each and every guest who visits our hotel goes home with fond memories. My team joins me in sending you our sincere apology for inconvenience caused.

We would be profoundly happy if you could give us another chance of serving you once again.

county durham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days thinking that it was going to be next to the main attractions but you need to get a taxi to everywhere as its quite out the way. In fact most taxis we got in at the end of the night couldn't take us as they didn't know where it was!! We had to tell them the name of a big hotel nearby!

Upon arriving we were checked in quickly and taken to our room. The rooms are fine and were clean, with a nice bathroom with separate shower and bath. One thing I did not like was the smell of smoke - it seemed that a lot of people were smoking in their rooms and the smell finds its way into your room. Also the views from the room were non existent.

There is a small sunbathing area at the top of the hotel with a little pool and gym. They are okay although it was difficult to get a seat as it was quite often full.

We didnt eat in the hotel and really only spent very short amount of time in the hotel as there is so much to see and do.

We booked the hotel initially as the price was about £500 each less than staying at a nice hotel on the beach and although it was annoying being out the way taxis are at least 3 times cheaper than in the UK and we had more spending money.

Overall you get what you pay for and this hotel is distinctively average.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings from Mercure Gold, Dubai - !!

We are thankful to you for having taken out time to put your review. We value our guest feedback and that helps us in improving on the missing components.

Indeed our hotel is just renamed as Mercure Gold and local transports are getting to know us better.
We are pleased to know that you had a good experience with our Front Desk Services and yes, our rooms are quite spacious and we are happy that you liked them.
However, sometimes in spite of best of our intentions things go wrong. And also have strictly look into the smoke driven into the room and would refrain in happening so. We have taken note of your dissatisfaction over certain factors and your preference for a non- smoking room. Based on the above, we have rectified the problem areas and are confident of delivering the service standard that you are accustomed to.

Look forward to your visit again.

Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

All in all the hotel is good, but obviously it is not 5 star top quality luxury hotel with 1000m2 white marble lobby, and Rolls Royce Phantoms for the free airport transfer.
It is absolutely in line with the worldwide Mercure level.
Clean rooms, bathrooms, nice breakfast, polite staff. You can park directly in front of the entry.
The location is also good, the airport is 10 minutes drive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Greetings from Mercure Gold, Dubai - !!

We are thankful to you for your patronage and for having taken out time to post your review.

Pleased to know that you’re overall experience was pleasing; however your feedback on all our service is treasured and valued.

We all are delighted to read such encouraging comment at the same time the same has also been shared with my associates. Your encouraging words will help us further in improving our standards.

We look forward to have you again with us. Once again along with all my associates we thank you for having stayed with us and look forward to your future stay.

Best Regrads,
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed for a short stopover for one night on 23.02.13. I got a great rate on lastminute.com. On arrival I was warmly greeted by the bell boy who unloaded my bags and escorted me to check in. At check in I was upgarded to suite which was great and the check in was smooth and appreciated as it was almost midnight. I left early the following morning, so did not sample any of the facilties or food, whci all looked good on first glance.
My only gripe was that I couldnt adjsut teh a/c so it was a bit cold!
Apart from that excellent, walking distance to Satwa, SZR and 10 mins in cab to airport. Easy to get taxis also. I am sure to stay there again, if I get a great deal.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the back or on a high floor as there is a bit of road noise. Suites are large.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Greetings from Mercure Gold, Dubai - !!

Thank you very much for having taken time out to post your review. It was indeed a great pleasure having you with us.

We are delighted to know that you had a good stay with us and enjoyed our Suite and liked Front Desk services at our hotel.
Regarding the A/C we do have a temperature controller in the room and all of our associates are available to help you at any given time.

Your positive feedback keeps us motivated and our Endeavour is to ensure that we continue giving you our best.

We assure you of best of our services at all given times and look forward to have the pleasure of you staying with us again for longer duration.

Dubai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I rarely come away from a hotel stay with such an aversion to a property. I had the worst possible stay at this Dubai low budget property. It's reasonably priced but the reason is because its just awful. My husband and I requested a non-smoking room, but they gave us smoking. Requested a change and they were not accommodating. In the end we got a non-smoking but it may as well have been smoking. The duty manager had no personality. The beds were so hard I could barely move the next day and the pillows were like bricks. I wouldn't have wanted to try the food, I just wanted to get out and get home.

Room Tip: Dont stay here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pats_Dubai
Mercure G, Executive Assistant Manager at Mercure Gold Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to express our sincere apologies for having given you cause for disappointment following your recent stay with us.

Please be assured that we have taken this matter extremely seriously and I would greatly appreciate if you could contact us on H8500-DM@accor.com giving us the opportunity to speak to you directly, this not at all reflective of the usual standards of service at the hotel.

Once again, our sincere apologies and we look forward to hearing from you.

With best regards,