“Great Hotel at Bargin Price! Just remember how to get there!”

Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers
Ranked #73 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
london
“Great Hotel at Bargin Price! Just remember how to get there!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

I stayed here with my partner for 5 nights over New Years and absolutely loved it. We had a deluxe twin room which was possibly the best hotel room I have stayed in (mind you I stay in mid range hotels usually). The bedroom was large with plenty of room and the bed was too comfy to get out of, wall mounted tv, remote light control etc. The lounge was handy with a telly, fridge and L shaped sofa. The bathroom was great- a large bath, twin sinks and a great shower- shame it leaked a bit over the bathroom floor but that could have been due to the amount of time spent in there. The staff were all very helpful and kind- Fernando on the sun deck even moved all the loungers around so we could get some sun. The gym was a nice little touch, even if it was just a wobble on the power plate, and the steam room and saunas were clean and ready to use. The pool is warm and the jaccuzzi has a nice little light show.

There are only two real drawbacks to the hotel but these arent really a problem if you plan ahead. The sundeck only gets a bit of sun so if you want to sunbath you need to grab a lounger early- it not just get a cab to the beach with was only 3-5 pounds anyway. Also cabs were a bit of problem, they either cant find it or you need to direct them, but once you have figured it out its easy to find. They also change the roads a round a lot so you cant blame the cab drivers that much. As for the setting- well it is a bit of building site a t the Lakes but then you get what you pay for! If you want some views when sunbathing just get a cab to the beach- if not relax and enjoy being spoilt.

All in all very impressed and for the price a total bargin!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this review, January 5, 2010
Dear chickenbolti,

Many thanks for your review and I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us! We always aim to offer excellent value for money and hope to be able to welcome you again in the future. In two months, the metro stations serving Jumeirah Lakes Towers, will hopefully be open and it also looks like the final road layout is making good progress and should be completed before too long.
We are also looking into providing additional beach shuttles in the coming weeks.

Once again, many thanks and all the best,

Alan Bostock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

In summary this hotel has more negatives then positives. My wife and I booked a one week stay at the Bonnington via last minute.com (like a few others below) the package price we got was good compared to other 5 star hotels which came up as nearly double the amount so we thought we were getting a good deal. We flew with Emirates (Probably the best airline in the world - Excellent planes, food, seats etc - very pleased!). Once we arrived at the airport we were immediately impressed by the cleaness and high quality finish of the airport terminal and we thought if this is what our hotel is going to be like and the rest of Dubai then this would certainly be a luxury holiday. I had read a couple of reviews about this hotel and was very aware that many guests had mentioned about the location of the hotel and the difficulties cab drivers had in finding the hotel. Well, I can confirm that all these comments are true and very accurate. All cab drivers can virtually find JLT area but because the hotel is at the far end and back of JLT and the fact it is new means virtually no cabbies inculding the one we were in knew where it was! It took us 15 minutes extra and probably another 20 Dirhams to finally find the hotel - Located in a construction war zone that will provide you for at least another 6 months (maybe more..) with no surronding views of anything other than a couple of tall buildings that are complete but fail to provide any views - Forget about any lakes or sea view there is none.

Only way to travel is by taxi - metro not due for complishen until Feb 2010 (Cab fares are however very cheap - Make sure you learn the way to the hotel from JLT! Otherwise you will find yourself in a cab going round in circles looking for it and paying extra!)

Room was very nice, spacious and comfortable - Wonderful Kingsize bed and the comments about the bathroom are true - the one we had (standard hotel room) was excellent - twin sinks, stand alone bath (huge!) and walk in shower made this one of the best bathrooms the wife and I have ever stayed in.

However things started to go downhill from here, our room kept making a bleeping noise every 20/30 seconds which was very irrating. We got locked out from our room several times and had to keep calling front desk to let us in and issue/fix another key (on one occasion we came back from a tiring day out to have to sit outside our room for at least 20 minutes for them to fix the door!) Eventually got upgraded to a one bedroom apartment which we kindly accepted (wished we never bothered though!) Bedroom in apartment was freezing - no system to warm room up AC only provides cold air. Hot water failed nearly every day for our 3 nights we were in the apartment - ended up having cold showers and shaves!

I could go on but I just can not be bothered anymore, the staff are very friendly on the whole and mean well but many of the technichans who came to fix our hot water and heating in room fail to speak or understand much if any English so you cannot get a proper answer or understanding of what the problem is, the communication between them and front desk/management is poor and quite simply I found I did more complaining at this hotel then I have ever done before. By the end of our stay I was just glad to go because I was so fed up of complaining for services that you would expect a 5 star hotel to provide and not use the excuse of a 'soft opening'. Excuse for failure to have hot water was that it had all been used up and that the boiler in the apartment needed to refill up and then provide hot water?! This meant sitting in a cold bath until boiler was ready to provide hot water - tell me how many 5 star hotels have this problem? Answer - not one of the many I have stayed at!

Pool area on the 11th floor is far to small for such a size hotel and althought the water is nice and warm it just does not feel like a 5 star pool. Overall the price may have been cheap but this at present as it stands is not a 5 star hotel and certainly not compared to others in Dubai. Just maybe in 6 months time this hotel may get things together until then I would pay that extra if you really want a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tellingthetruth2010
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this review, January 6, 2010
Dear Tellingthetruth2010,

Many thanks for your review and I am glad that, contrary to your review’s title, you actually did bother to stay with us and I would like to thank you for your comments.

On a positive note, I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and bathroom – my sincere apologies for the bleeping noise.
This had us stumped for a while, but we have now found the reason for it in a rogue piece of technology and have addressed this matter.
The surrounding areas are making good progress, though I agree with you that it would be fantastic if they were already completed. As it goes, you are probably not too far off with your estimate of another six months or so – the two metro stations serving Jumeirah Lakes Towers will open in March, or so we have been told.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the unsatisfactory hot water supply. We are currently looking into this matter and are taking steps to ensure a sufficient supply of hot water at all times to all areas of the building.
In regards to the temperature in your apartment – our building, like most properties in Dubai, has been build for the local climate, which means that during the cooler months it may feel a bit cold. We now have heaters available at Reception for guests to borrow on those chilly Dubai winter days.

We are working hard to ensure that our services and facilities are improving all the time and this includes staff training, and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Bonnington later on this year or in 2011 when, I’m sure, you will see that things have turned out splendidly.

Once again, many thanks and all the best,

Alan Bostock FIH
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2010

We got a very big discount on this hotel rate as they haven't been open very long. Unfortunately, this shows. It took nearly 30 minutes and 3 members of staff just to check us into the hotel, and we then still had to wait another hour for our room key!

The rooms are lovely. Huge comfortable beds and lovely bathrooms. Not a great view from the room because the hotel is in an area in development stages. We didn't use many of the hotel facilities, mostly because they were not yet open. We did use the pool briefly, however it's not a pool to sit around all day if you are there on holiday. It's very small and each time we went, we were unable to get any beds or see any sun!

There will soon be a metro station nearby the hotel which will help a lot, as the only way you can go anywhere at the moment is by taxi, so prepare yourself to spend quite a lot on taxis (and remember where the hotel is because the taxi drivers don't know!).

We had an unfortunate circumstance with a member of staff in which we received a letter in our room two days before we were leaving saying that we were leaving the next day, even though we were not and the document I had signed upon checking in stated the correct dates. I called reception to let them know, however the member of staff got very angry at me and shouted down the phone saying that I was incorrect. It took a while for him to calm down and realise he had made the mistake. It wasn't the experience you would expect to receive from a five star hotel.

Overall, once the problems are sorted and the metro opens, it will be a good hotel, however in the meantime, I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank l0nd0ntraveller2010
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this review, January 3, 2010
Dear l0nd0ntraveller2010

Thank you for spending the time to comment on your recent stay with us.
Please be assured that we are working on the speed and efficiency of our check in. This is one of the most important aspects in arriving at a hotel - first impressions etc.
Regarding the error in your checkout day, whilst we may be forgiven for making a mistake we should never be angry or raise our voices.
We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back later in the year, (The Metro station is due to open in February), when I am sure you will find everything to your satisfaction.

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2009

Stayed in a two bedroom deluxe apartment for a week over Christmas whilst visiting family in Dubai.

We were well aware that the hotel is operating a 'soft opening' and that the location is very much on a building site (as of Dec 09) but this wasn't really an issue as any visitor to Dubai will know that much of the Emirate is a building site anyway! We also didn't intend to spend much time around the hotel as we had plans elsewhere around the area.

We checked in with ease in the early hours after a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport (costing less than a tenner!) and was very impressed with our apartment. Spacious, clean, fantastic views, lovely furniture, beds and bathrooms and a well equipped kitchen.

Housekeeping staff were fantastic and the two occasions we needed the maintenance staff, they were also great.

The leisure deck on the (open!) 11th floor is amazing with a heated infinity pool, sun deck, gym, etc. Just wished we were around to use them more!

Negatives - time your lift use - only three lifts serve 30 floors of apartments (one being used as a service lift) which makes waiting around a common occurrence.

We did have some issues with a leak in the room and some Internet problems but both were resolved by the asst front office manager to our satisfaction.

To sum up - would highly recommend to any Dubai visitor, particularly during the soft opening as the prices are unbeatable.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank simonp820
Dear simonp820
We are very pleased to here that you enjoyed your Christmas break with us in Dubai. Your kind comments are much appreciated and will be passed to all our staff.
We have noted your comments about the lifts and the internet and are working on both to improve the future service to our guests.
We take this opportunity to wish you and your family a very Happy New Year from all of us here in sunny Dubai.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2009

This wasn't my first time to Dubai, but my first time staying at the Bonnington. We stayed for four nights, and booked through lastminute.com as they had a very good deal on at the time.

Positives about the hotel was the staff would go above and beyond to help you. The hotel was nice and quiet, and finished to a very tasteful standard. Leisure deck was brilliant and relaxing. The location was ok, and pretty easy access to everything (by taxi). If you want to save money on this holiday, I would suggest you make full use of the metro service - it was great and ridiculously cheap! Just before we left, I think they now also have a shuttle bus service to all the main malls and the beach.

Also note when we checked it we had to pay 300dhs deposit upfront. this was fine for us, but wasn't expected.

All in all, a great holiday and i would most certainly go back again!

Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alicia088
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this review, December 24, 2009
Dear Alicia808
We will all be very pleased to welcome you back on your next visit to Dubai. We pride ourself on our selection of friendly and helpful staff, it is what makes Bonnington "all about you", our customer.

With our compliments for the Season

Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2009

I tried Bonnington Tower on a lark based on a curious Orbitz search -- it turned up a 5 star hotel at lower prices than all the 3 star hotels in Dubai. My curiosity piqued, I read some of the reviews on here and discovered this was a brand new hotel in a "soft launch" phase. I realized it was a bit of a risk, but I booked a room for 4 nights and was definitely happy with my choice.

The hotel's location is in Jumeirah Lakes Towers, which could be best described as a "subdivision of skyscrapers", something you probably only can find in Dubai. The area is still heavily under construction, and that definitely points to the hotel's one (semi-temporary) weakness, in that you must wind through a construction zone to get there. Cab drivers are just learning the area, and you'll find that while they can get you to the Jumeirah Lakes Towers development pretty easily, finding the hotel once you get in there is another story. Just remember that it's the one with the big white flags out front. Also, the open air leisure deck cut out of the middle of the building is a good reference point.

Because of the construction around the building, and the labyrinth nature of the roads getting in and out, cabs (or a rental car) are your best bets to get around. The Dubai Metro is pretty neat, but the stop by the hotel won't open until February. When that does, getting around Dubai from the hotel will be a breeze. However, if you choose to stay there before the metro stop opens, note that cabs in Dubai are extremely cheap compared to the US, and they were semi-plentiful at the hotel. Unlike one reviewer on here, I found that 7 of the 8 times I needed a cab there was one right at the front door already, and the 8th time I was able to get one within 10 minutes.

Service at the hotel was top notch, and while I did detect a little bit of a "we're new here" vibe, I didn't have any long waits at reception for check-in or check-out. The interior of the hotel is what I would expect from a 5-star hotel, extremely sharp and modern.

The same extends to the rooms. I stayed in the standard hotel room, which was more than big enough for me. The king size bed was extremely comfortable and the large flat screen TV was well appreciated. One curious feature -- free on demand movies on the TV! There were only 3, but it was still a surprising perk. The wireless internet in the room was free as well, but I must admit the speed ranged from slow to nearly non-existent. Since I was only there for leisure, I really only cared about checking email and some light web browsing, which I was able to do sufficiently, but if I were traveling for work and needed connectivity to my office, I would be disappointed. I expect this is a kink that can and will be worked out as the hotel fully launches.

I have to save a particular note of appreciation for the bathroom, which is hands down the nicest hotel bathroom I have ever seen. A spacious sink area led to an enormous standalone tub along with a huge walk-in shower with waterfall shower head. Coming in from a long day of walking in the hot Dubai sun that shower was well appreciated. Returning to my normal shower at home was a big disappointment.

Lastly the leisure deck on the 11th floor is beautiful, with open air views of the area, which will only get better as the JLT area is built up. I mostly used the small but functional gym on the leisure deck, which was rarely crowded in the early afternoon.

All in all, two thumbs up to this great hotel. I doubt that the bargain rate I found on Orbitz will be around long as this hotel fully launches, so rent a room here while you can afford it!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank bfranci
Dear Bfranci
We are very pleased that your gamble on selecting Bonnington as your temporary home paid off! As you say our special rates are for the soft opening epriod so will not be available for too long.
We are also fine tuning to ensure we are the best five star hotel in "New Dubai" and this includes the finishing touches to the staff training and the wireless internet access and consistency. We do also have hard wired connections in all rooms and apartments.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Bonnington when you need to refresh your great memories.

With compliments of the season

Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2009

We stayed at the hotel during the England Rugby Sevens tournament in November. It had not long opened, but we were really impressed by the facilities and the friendly staff. They even left us a cake to celebrate our anniversary.

The hotel is situated in a construction area- not ideal, (and of course only temporary) but you travel around Dubai by taxi, so once you're in the hotel you don't even notice this. It's centrally located for easy access to the marina and malls (no more than a few minutes and quid in a taxi)

We met the Irish hotel owner and Manager who were lovely. They spoke to all of the guests, and even gave us a lift to the rugby as they were going our way!

The pool decking is lovely, and restaurant and bar great. We stayed in a double room which was perfect what we needed. Smallish, but really well decorated, new, clean and contemporary. They have apartments too, so we will definitely go back and use this hotel, next time taking the kids.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ClaireCBristol
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this review, December 19, 2009
Dear ClaireCBristol,

Many thanks for your review and I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you also enjoyed the rugby!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Bonnington together with your children – we’ll make sure to organise a bigger car for then so we can still give you a lift to the rugby!

All the best,