“Great place to stay and very relaxing”

Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers
Ranked #97 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed December 8, 2009

I think some of these reviews are very unfair. Bonnington has been very informative about its soft opening. I used room service, ate their food, used their leisure deck asked staff for assistance and found everything just great. Was also alerted to fire alarm testing. It is a well known fact that Dubai is a bit of a building site but if you actually look beyond the end of your nose you will find what it really has to offer.

Its a fun place to be there is lots to see and do if you make the effort. I highly recommend a day of Dune Bashing its a great day out fantastic value for money around £40 for a whole day of entertainment. I found it to be a very friendly place to visit and everyone we met was keen to advise us on places to see and things to do. All in all a great trip and well done The Bonnington we thought you were doing a great job!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fininni
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2009

Dear Fininni,

Many thanks for your review and encouraging words! We are battling it out in New Dubai, one dust storm at a time!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and your time in Dubai and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Bonnington sometime in the future!

All the best,

Alan Bostock

Write a ReviewReviews (3,058)

Reviewed December 7, 2009

This will be a very solid 4-star hotel once they get the kinks worked out. It will never be a 5-star hotel. It is definitely not in that realm. But if you want a very nice room w/ modern decor and a staff that is trying to please then this is your spot. And because of the soft-open pricing, it is an EXCELLENT VALUE!. I would expect their prices to jump dramatically once they have their grand opening. I paid $100/night for 4 nights.

I like to have a glass of wine in my room from time to time. I learned you cannot have alcohol in the apartments because they have no liquor license for that. It was a very frustrating discovery. I had a late flight into Dubai and it was after 10PM when I got to the hotel. After an hour of checking in and unpacking I went down to the lounge to get a glass of wine. As I attempted to bring the glass into the lobby and head back to my room I was surrounded by a security guard and the bartender. Being in a Muslim nation, there are some peculiarities regarding where you can have alcohol. Apparently, you cannot bring it into the lobby yourself. You have to have the staff carry it to your room. Unless you are in an apartment! Right then I learned that because I booked an apartment as opposed to one of their hotel rooms, I was not allowed to have alcohol in the room at all. I couldn't buy it and bring it to the room. It couldn't be delivered to the room. There is no minibar in the room. Needless to say, I switched to a hotel room and had to re-pack and un-pack all over again. By the time I was ready to relax with my glass of wine it was after midnight. It took an hour for them to switch my room. 15 minutes just to make a new key?!?!? They hadn't figured out how to make a key any faster than that.

My biggest beef with all of this is that it should be noted when you book the apartment that there is no alcohol allowed. I was initially going to book a standard room but saw an apartment was just $30 more. It seemed like a no-brainer at the time. The room-switch got even more complicated when they couldn't find the $100/night rate that was available for the hotel room when I booked the apartment. After another 15 minutes of negotiating with the front desk manager he finally agreed to honor the rate and have it settled for me.

I made a few notes about the apartment before the room-change:

- It has a washer and dryer but no detergent. There is no detergent available in the gift shop or from room service.
- No minbar at all. Not even for non-alcoholic beverages.
- No drawers for clothes. The hotel room had drawers, but not the apartment.
- 1 handheld showerhead, no bath. The hotel room has 2 showerheads and a bath.

What I liked:
1) Free internet in the room. The wifi wasn't good but there was an ethernet cable.
2) Very modern decor, great bed. Wonderful room.
3) The tours that the concierge set up were great and good pricing.
4) The concierge on-site was excellent. His name was Duhindra I believe. The other staff at the concierge desk gave me conflicting answers and just didn't speak very good English.

What I didn't like:
1) The hot water was very slow to come out of the spout.
2) I tried several times to set up my tours in advance of my arrival and I got nowhere. I called and spoke to a night manager (My timezone is 12 hours away) and got promises that weren't kept. I emailed 3 times and got no response. 2 emails to the website and 1 to the night manager I spoke with.
3) The location. It's not horrible if you realize you're getting a bargain on the room rate. Cabs are cheap in Dubai. It was only a 10 minute cabride to the nightlife and shopping areas.

And lastly, the pool is in an odd location. If you want to sunbathe, don't come to this hotel. As stated in other reviews, the pool is in the middle of the tower on about the 12th and 13th floors. So there is a roof that blocks most of the sun. It is a lounge for those who don't want to be in the sun but want to be outside in the shade instead. I've included my pic of it.

• Stayed: November 2009
2  Thank OC_Adventurer
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2009

Dear OC_Adventurer,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide us with an extensive review of our property following your recent stay with us!

I am glad you thought that our rooms were wonderful.

I appreciate your disappointment about being unable to have alcoholic beverages delivered to your apartment. This is actually due to local licensing regulations, but should have been explained better to you at the time. We have now added an additional paragraph to our guest directory that explains this matter and will also update our booking confirmations.
I would just like to clarify that guests in apartments can, of course, consume alcoholic beverages that they have bought, say, in the duty free shop at the airport and brought with them to the hotel. Local laws, however, do not allow us to serve alcohol in the apartments or to carry it openly through other unlicensed areas of the hotel, e.g. the lobby.
All apartments do have a fridge, which is one of the reasons we did not include a minibar in these units.

Dishwashing detergent and washing powder will very shortly be available in our lobby shop and an initial supply of both will also be left in each apartment.

Thank you for your kind words concerning Duminda - I have already passed your comments on to the Front Office Manager and to Duminda.

We will also look at how we can improve the handling of advance requests for tours and similar services and I trust that we will come up with a way that will ensure a more seamless service.

We have already fine-tuned our key cutting procedures and, barring any technical glitches, keys can now be cut more or less immediately.

Additional wireless access points are planned and the wifi coverage will then be much improved.

Dear OC_Adventurer, once again, many thanks for your constructive comments. When I first started here, the hotel was only a hole in the ground - much has happened since then and I am extremely positive that in the not too distant future, we will be "in that realm". Feedback like yours does help us to get there faster.

Alan Bostock FIH

Reviewed December 6, 2009

Rooms are absolutely gorgeous. Staff are so so nice and they really went out of their way to assist us, especially Erin. The fab pool area is the perfect way to unwind at the end of a day's sightseeing/shopping. The location is slightly out of way at present but taxis are cheaper than the bus at home! Once the metro station across the road is opened in March it will be hard to fault the location. I'm surprised at some of the problems encountered in reviews below as everything was absolutely perfect for us. However, I would imagine most of these problems are only teething issues as the hotel has just opened. I would really recommend the Bonnignton and I can't wait to my next stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank 5355lor
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2009

Dear 5355lor,

Many thanks for your kind words and taking the time to review our property following your stay with us!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to coming back. The Bonnington team is, of course, equally looking forward to welcoming you back to Jumeirah Lakes Towers!

As they say in Ireland "Níl aon tintéan mar do thintéan féin!", so if you need a home away from home in Dubai, the Bonnington is at your service.

We've shared your review with our Facebook fans on our hotel's Facebook page - feel free to check it out!

All the best,

Reviewed December 4, 2009

What can I say! This hotel for us was awesome. We stayed for just 5 days and to be honest we didn’t want to come home. This Boutique hotel ticked all the boxes for me and my wife and we both have agreed it was the best holiday we have ever had hands down!!! We have stayed in some grand hotels in Paris, London & New York but for us personally the Bonnington is the better. The staff are a credit and cant do enough for you, the personal touches like carrying stuff and opening doors, and wishing you a good morning or evening make all the difference. A prime example of this service is when I ask for some brown sauce at breakfast and the English gentleman running the restaurant kindly told me they did not have any but he would get me some for next time I came down for breakfast. Sure enough, he remembered and brought it over to our table the next morning. Excellent I thought, attention to details makes the customer experience a pleasure. Moving on, the facilities to the hotel are mint, the pool is impressive and photographs and pictures do not do this justice, you need to see this place for yourself.
In the 5 days we were there we used all the facilities the leisure deck had to offer and we were as you can guess very impressed, my missus used the hairdressers there and to be honest I have never seen her hair look so good. I used the gym and steam room a few times and was in my element. The rooms are huge and fully equipped with power showers and double sinks, massive wardrobe and the giant TV on the wall was brilliant.
Everywhere was air-conditioned and an added bonus for us was the free internet access in the reception, great to check the online banking when your Mrs has spent a fortune.
Also I have to mention the Healey Bar, very chic and glamorous and you do feel you’re in a special place as soon as you walked in. The terrace to the bar is out of this world and the view is incredible and for me made the Bonnington Tower Hotel the best hotel choice I have ever made.

Before I finish this review I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the staff at the Bonnington Tower Hotel especially to the lady who shown us around on our very first day, you made us feel very welcome and could not do enough for us. Thanks to the big chap with the fantastic smile looking after the Leisure deck in the afternoon, he was a star, helped me with my stuff and showed me the gym and where the changing rooms where and sorted towels out for the sun lounges. Last but not leased, not forgetting the very smartly dress English chap who ran the restaurant and fetched me that sauce. You’re a superstar keep up the good work.

And finally because I know I have babbled on a bit, a big thank you to the Hotel Manager, your hotel is unique and a special place and the standard of service your staff give is a winning combination, they are a credit to you and you should be very proud. Well Done!

On a different note have you got any availability for next September, because guess what we wanna come back!!! Haha.

Dear skeeley,,

Many thanks for your review and praise!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and your time in Dubai and that you are planning to come back next year! I am positive that we will have a room for you then and we’ll make sure that we have brown sauce as standard by then at our breakfast buffet!

I have already shared your comments with my colleagues and we have also posted your review on our Facebook page.

Once again, many thanks and all the best,

Reviewed December 4, 2009

I will start off by saying that if you are on a budget but want to stay in a nice hotel near a few hotspots, book this hotel. It's near Jumeirah Beach Walk and the Dubai Marina, two good places to visit. It is a five star hotel in Dubai with nice, luxurious features. However, don't expect it to be perfect. The service, whilst very polite, friendly and courteous, is slow. Room service takes its time, and if you ask the same question to two different members of staff, don't be surprised to get two different answers, or no answer at all! As others have said, the hotel is practically in the middle of a building site (but not as bad as some have made out), but if you know your way around Dubai then you can quickly guide your taxi driver to the right location. Just ask to go to Jumeirah Lakes Towers and then provide your own directions!

However, I would stay here again if I was to visit Dubai again. Although the service was average in places, I would put it down to teething problems as it isn't fully launched. And the fact that there are many unfinished buildings and ugly building sites surrounding the Bonnington isn't the hotel's fault - much of Dubai is at a standstill when it comes to buildings works. If you stay at this hotel expecting these things and manage them accordingly, you can have a very comfortable and enjoyable stay. The hotel is value for money because the rooms are great and the décor is in keeping with five star luxury.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel if you want five star surroundings at an affordable price.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2009

Dear Vikdaddy,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of our property following your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you liked our rooms and the general decor of the property.

Please rest assured that we are addressing all service-related issues as a matter of priority and progress is made daily.

Reviewed December 1, 2009

It would be unfair to criticise this hotel to ruthlessly, as it has great potential.

BUT (and it's a big but) the place is literally wallowing in a dust-bowl in the middle of nowhere, apparently in some kind of taxi no-mans-land (possibly as there's nothing else nearby that would require a cabbie to know the area).

The surrounding neighbourhood (and that word suggests far too much of a sense of community) consists of several yet-to-be-filled artificial lakes, numerous unfinished tower blocks, a motorway (which does a great job of blocking one off even further from the more developed neighbourhood opposite, as there's no pedestrian access over it!) and not a lot else.

The hotel plays a nauseating piece of Cafe Del Mar muzak on continuous loop in the lobby, which had me ready to scream after a couple of days. Just one cheesy song, playing over and over again. Poor staff. They told me that the hotel designer mandated it: cynical b**tard!

The hotel management succeeded in evacuating part of the hotel by mistake while I was there, when they ran a fire alarm test without...erm...telling the guests that there was a fire alarm test.

I could go on ranting, but a lot of the other stuff was teething problems for a new hotel. On the bright side, the (overpriced) restaurant was offering good food, and the bar is a bit of a local haunt for ex-pats coming in from the desert of unfinished apartments in which they live nearby.

Give it a couple of years - assuming Dubai isn't closed down for financial incompetence - and this will be a nice, if synthetic, neighbourhood. The soon-to-open Metro station nearby will help to make it more accessible.

But for now I'd say steer clear of this hotel until they've improved their own processes, and the surrounding area has been tidied up a little. It's got great potential, but avoid for now.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2009

Dear kiwimark75,

What do you expect out of a Torquay hotel window? If it was up to us, we would also prefer to see four filled lakes rather than the current two and some grass and plants around our property. Unfortunately, our influence ends right outside our front door. Having said that, we are in regular talks with the local authorities and progress is being made week by week. The third lake is nearly ready for filling and the fourth lake is being prepared, too.
I'm glad you pointed out the music and I would like to thank you for doing so - one of the good things about TripAdvisor reviews is that it brings such matters to our attention. Over the last few weeks we were so busy getting things up and running that small (but still important!) matters like this slipped through the net. I have looked at our music system and it seems extremely powerful - we'll load some additional music in the coming week.

Please accept my apologies for the unannounced fire alarm testing, which resulted from a misunderstanding between outside contractors and our in-house staff. We have now addressed this situation and I am positive that all future fire alarm tests will be communicated to our guests in advance.

We would be happy to welcome you back to the Bonnington if you are thinking of returning to Dubai in the future, even it is just for a drink or two in our Healey's Bar. I promise you that there will be no out of date kippers to kill you, and no conversations over breakfast with senile retired Army Majors or dear old things who are as deaf as posts.
And the owner will neither abuse you when you ask a simple question nor, despite the fact you’re watching, take physically to an English-impaired waiter from Barcelona…

Many thanks, best regards and "¿Qué?",

Reviewed November 29, 2009

Our first time in Dubai so we did not know what to expect.. Hotel and staff wonderful very luxurious room and the pool was a bonus. The only downside we were so far out. Taxis are cheap and available. Time wasted travelling. 2 weeks would be better than 4 nights .

1  Thank worldwisecumbria
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2009

Dear worldwisecumbria,

Many thanks for your review and kind words! I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Bonnington in the future.