“Ok but a bit out of the way”

Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers
Ranked #79 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
Wet Wigan
“Ok but a bit out of the way”
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 6 night's in a room on the 4th floor after staying a week in Sri Lanka. The room was ok the carpet needed cleaning as it was stained but the rest of the room was clean. We had no internet all week after asking on three separate occassions was finally given a free code that ran out after a couple of hours and was told the server for our room was off line so that's why we couldn't get a connection. We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment but we did order a pizza from room service which was nice but a bit pricey. We used the pool but found it too small. We also had a sandwich up there which again was o.k. but expensive. We proberbly won't go back to dubai but if we did we'd stay closer to the centre not out in the building site.

• Stayed October 2012
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Dazjo,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us following your recent stay. Please accept my apologies for the service shortfalls you experienced during your time with us.
We are looking into your comments and will use them to fine-tune our operations.

All the best,

Bruno Guilloux, General Manager & the Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers’ Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Don't let the horrendous Dubai traffic put you off! When you arrive you are surrounded by a beautiful modern hotel. Entrance was a bit confusing as after handing keys to parking valet you arrive (and leave) through a trade entrance and we later almost got into the service lifts.

We were directed around to the foyer proper and the staff could not operate the computers and rooms weren't ready. 20 mins wait but complimentary fruit juice was nice.

Initial stumbles over we arrived in a sumptuous room with massive en suite twin sins and bath and separate shower and toilet room. It was the biggest walk in shower I have ever seen with a bench inside! However, as with most walk in showers it flooded into the bathroom making the marble floor as treacherous as ice.

Great views even from third floor. Super comfy massive bed.

Attached 'Irish' bar was brilliant and not sure why called Irish as this conjures images of Benidorm but trust me it's not and the food is A1. The hotel also has another bar and you have to have a drink in the outside seating area at night for the greatest of views!

Breakfast was very good.

Pool area large but completely covered so no sun. Infinity edge with great views.

Overall, a tremendous hotel that I would definitely stay at again. Reception slow and confusing and shower needs four times the drainage. Open pool on roof would have made it 5 stars for me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear jdm010,

Many thanks for your review! It was good to see that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by the slow check-in – we’ll certainly take your comments on board and will work to improve matters.

I would just like to point out that the entrance you used was our residences entrance and not a trade entrance. For the convenience of our guests, the valet parking desk is situated between the residences and the hotel entrances.

Our McGettigan’s Irish Pub, coincidentally, is called “Irish”, because it’s owned by an Irish family, has been build by Irish builders using materials imported from Ireland, and is run by Irish floor managers. We like to think that this justifies calling it an Irish pub.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Bonnington in the not too distant future.

Best regards,

Bruno Guilloux , General Manager & the Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers’ Management Team
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

A first class hotel with on the whole a well versed and attentive staff. The deluxe room we occupied was excellent, spacious and well appointed and have no complaint other than that the lighting system needed explaining as it was a pain to get it to work as I wanted. The breakfast was excellent and could only fault the dry bacon which was virtually inedible. There was both hot and cold food with eggs to order. A good start to the day. The hotel is well out of town but is quite close to the very good and cheap Metro system. No shorts are allowed in the restaurant for dinner, however, you can remain in shorts on level 11 (The pool area) and obtain pricey bar meals and beer.The infinty pool is small but adequate and provides towels and sun beds. There is also a sauna and Gym provisions on the same floor. It is a non smoking hotel with the exception of the bar area on the 11th floor. I found the reception staff, smart and helpful. I have one complaint in that I was advised by the conciege not to use one of the many cheaper companies to travel to Abu Dhabi as they had had many complaints and to use a more expensive firm (Desert Rangers) as they considered them the best. They insisted on payment in cash. The firm turned up 1½ hours late with a driver with poor command of Engish. We did not get what we paid for and after complaining on my return the head of department tried to wheedle out of his responsibilties, needless to say I was not reimbused for any of the trip and I know why they insist on a cash payment before travelling. If ever I return to Dubai I will ensure that this hotel however good in most aspects will not be on my itinery.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 585Rodney585,

Thank you for your review. While we were all pleased to see that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us, we were surprised to read your comments about the Abu Dhabi city tour.
When you enquired with our Concierge about booking a sightseeing tour with the supplier of your choice, he pointed out that we have received numerous complaints about this particular company in the past and therefore prefer not to use it. You were then given a choice of several alternatives, one of them being Desert Rangers, a company we work with a lot & frequently receive good feedback for.
Upon your return to the hotel, you advised the Concierge that the tour was fine, however, you mentioned that you did not receive lunch for two in one of Abu Dhabi’s five-star hotels. This, though, was never part of the advertised tour package, but an optional extra. You then pointed out that the company you wanted to book with originally does offer this in their tour package for AED 199, however, upon checking with them our Concierge was informed that lunch in a five-star hotel in Abu Dhabi does not form part of the basic tour package with this company either.
However, in the light of your other comments about Desert Rangers, which you did not mention to our Concierge at the time, we have forwarded your feedback to Desert Rangers, who are currently looking into it.

Berkshire, UK
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at this hotel - 2 girls on first trip to Dubai and we were made to feel very welcome, the staff helped with trips, taxis etc. and it was ideally located to the metro station and Dubai Marina definitely worth a visit.
Would not hesitate staying there again if ever went to Dubai and would certainly recommend it to other travellers.

Room Tip: ask for a view not looking at the building site although to be honest in the location it is, none of...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Louise P
bonningtontower, General Manager at Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Louise P,

Very many thanks for your review! We were pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future!

Birmingham
Reviewed October 23, 2012

A friend and I stayed 3 nights at the Bonnington, from the moment we got there I can't praise staff highly enough. Staff at reception who greeted us were very friendly and the gentlemen at the concierge were very helpful and booked our visit to the Burj Khalifa. I was even given a rose for my birthday! The bathroom was fantastic, very spacious and stylish. Overall lovely and modern room with with plenty of space. Hotel location was good too, about a 10 minute walk to the metro which is very handy, make sure you buy a 16 dirham daysaver, this was a life safer as the cost of taxis soon mounts up.

Room Tip: Room 714 was lovely although did not have a good view, however this wasn't an issue as the room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sham175
Dear sham175,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us!

We were happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here and we hope to be able to welcome you again when you’re in Dubai in the future.

All the best,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed at the royal club appartments in this hotel through our Marriot club membership. I am resident in Dubai and family joining me for a week so we decided to book a hotel near the beach for a bit of luxury.

First of all this hotel is not on the beach. You will need to organise shuttle bus or taxi to take you to a beach hotel and pay entrance for use of their facilities. Bonnington has no tie-up with any private beach. This was first error on our part. If you go to Jumeraih for the beach, book a beach hotel, pay the extra and it will work out cheaper because of beach access.

Beach access is not cheap so this was a major extra cost we had not budgeted for.

When we first realised this we thought we would just spend some time hanging out on the Bonnington pool and sun floor which is quite nicely laid out with bar, swimming pool and sun loungers. However we were informed that this area only receives sunshine between 0730 and 1100 hrs each morning. The rest of the time it is in the shade due to neighbouring buildings. So only access to the sunshine was to head to the beaches and pay large daily entrance fees to rival hotels. Don't understand why you would build your sun floor completely in the shade but nevertheless this is the case here.

The appartment itself is much smaller than other Marriot and exchange appartments we have stayed in. It really wasn't suitable for the six of us as indicated. The bedrooms are compact with limited space and the smaller bedroom hardly had room to move around the bed. It is not the normal spacious Marriot type of property. I have to say nothing really outstanding stood out and it wasn't one of these places that you are immediately excited about staying in when you first come in the door.

The biggest problem was the shower and bathroom facilities in the appartment. We had two en suite bathrooms and the shower in one of them didn't work. The shower head seemed too powerful for the fitting and kept popping out spraying water around the room. The only way to have a shower was to hold the shower head manually which isn't really helpful. In any case as we were at the beach most days we didn't bother about it as we were using the beach hotel facilities for washing. We just used the one working shower we had when we needed to.

After a few days of starting to realise the appartment was not up to usual standards we became a bit more disillusioned and my wife decided to call maintenence and complain about the defective shower. After a cursory inspection this person advised us he would be charging us 360 durham for a new fitting and accused us of breaking it !! Obviously this was unacceptable and my wife discussed this with him for some time and showed how the shower was failing due to a substandard fitting and very powerful shower head. Eventually he agreed with her that the shower was faulty and we thought that was the end of the matter.

That was until a very elongated check out. Please ensure you start your check out process from this hotel well in advance of any planned departure time to the airport. It takes forever! In our case we had to arrange for a final inspection of the room by maintenance before leaving. At this point the shower problem suddenly reappeared and we were again told we were going to be charged 360 dirham for the faulty shower fitting. The original maintenance person had obviously never reported our position and resolution to anyone in managment and it was as if the discussion and visit by him had never taken place. We had to start the whole debate again with harassed front desk staff and various members of management. At this point I have to say that the floor manager from Bonningtom itself was helpful and understanding. However as we were in Royal Club appartments it was the Royal club manager that had to deal with us. She wouldn't even see us until the Bonnington manager told her over the phone in no uncertain terms to have the courtesy to come out from where she was hiding and explain herself.

I had the impression she was new to hotel management and she wasn't interested in our position at all. We were really in a position where they were going to steal this money from us or they wouldn't let us check out. I thought about calling the police but had already been in check out process for over an hour with a bunch of impatient kids chomping at the bit to get away. At the end of the day I could only let her know what I thought of her service and allow her to blatantly rob us off 360 dirham. It is only about 100 usd and wasn't going to kill us but at the same time it was the complete dishonesty off it that means I can never stay in this hotel again and will also be advising friends and associates of this story. It is the most dishonest hotel incident I have witnessed in 30 years of busines travelling and I can say I have been in some dogy hotels during this time - but never so blatantly robbed.

Final issue about the hotel is the lifts. If you are coming in after an evening out then please use the restrooms downstairs before taking the lifts. These must be the slowest lifts in Dubai and take at least 30 mins away from each day as you linger about waiting for a lift to arrive at your floor or to come to the lobby.

I think this hotel is best suited to business people who may be visiting expo's on business trips or perhaps attending to business in the area. It is not a hotel for a family beach holiday and I accept this was our mistake in planning our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ChristianJabre
Dear redingo,

Thank you very much for your review, which concerns your stay in a Royal Club apartment at the Bonnington. Royal Club apartments are operated independently by Royal Club as timeshare offers and as such we have shared your feedback with our partners from Royal Club.

You booked your stay through Interval International. On the Interval International website, the Royal Club at the Bonnington is clearly marked as not being located on a beach including a Google Map, which shows the location of the property opposite Dubai Marina.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by the lifts. While we have taken all possible measures to ensure optimum efficiency of our residences lifts (e.g. providing separate hotel lifts and access protecting the residence lifts for the use by apartment guests only), I appreciate that, during busy periods, you may still encounter a wait for an available lift car.

I would also like to apologize for the manner in which the faulty shower was dealt with. From a Bonnington perspective (i.e. as a provider of maintenance services), this should have been auctioned much faster and we will take your feedback on board and work towards improving operations in this area.

I thank you, though, for your positive comments about the Bonnington staff you dealt with during your stay. Royal Club should, by now, have been in touch with you directly regarding your comments & feedback.

Camberley
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Hard to fault this hotel. The rooms are modern, comfortable and well-equipped. The staff are very helpful. I particularly liked free wifi in the room. Enjoyed the 11th floor swimming pool and the bars. The location is a weak point - it is long way from downtown Dubai but you can take a 7 minute walk to the metro station and go from there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank laretal
Dear laretal,

Thank you for your review! It was good to see that you enjoyed your stay here at the Bonnington and liked your room and our service.

We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again in the not too distant future!